Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    • 22Posts
    • 6Thanks
    swazzle2000
    Gone from full time to part time: what should I be paid?
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:53 AM
    Gone from full time to part time: what should I be paid? 8th Apr 18 at 11:53 AM
    Hi. I was wondering if anyone could help me.
    I came back off maternity leave in August 2017. I went from a full time employee to a part time employee at that point. I used to work 40 hours a week, and dropped down to 24 hours per week. I donít know how to work out how much I should be paid. My last employer was a bit weird with how he did the wages as it didnít matter what tax code you were on, he would always pay the same. For example, I applied for the uniform cleaning tax relief, and it didnít change my wages at all! And everyone was paid the same.

So, the last month before I went on maternity leave, I was paid, for a 40 hour week, £1520.76. My PAYE tax was 119.00 and my NI contributions were £101.76. My take home pay was then £1300.00. My tax code was 1110L.
    The total on my p60 for 2016 (before maternity leave) was £18,370.

Can anyone tell me what my part time wage should be? I think they gave me a massive pay reduction without me realising it. I now take home, for a 24 hour week, £800.

Thank you in advance.
Page 2
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Apr 18, 10:28 PM
    • 6,348 Posts
    • 13,527 Thanks
    marliepanda
    £1520.60 per month pro rata to 24 hours per week is £912.36.

Is there any plausible reason as to why this would have been lowered to £800 per month? Im annoyed at myself for not realising and Iím annoyed at my old employer for giving me a pay cut without telling me! I just assumed it was something to do with tax.
    Originally posted by swazzle2000
    Iím confused.

Youíve moved employers.

There is no pay cut. You just have a new salary!
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 10:45 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    Right. Start again. I think Iíve figured out what happened. If gore the fact that I have a new job. Iím working this out from my old job, which is where I got my £800 wage from.

£1520.60 gross pay, pro rata to 24 hours per week is £912.36.

£1300.00 take home pay, pro rata to 24 hours per week is £780. Rounded up because the boss man likes round numbers is £800.

New question: is that how youíre meant to work out a part time wage? Because Iím thinking that youíre meant to go from the gross and not the take home. Is that right?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    • 6,348 Posts
    • 13,527 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Right. Start again. I think I!!!8217;ve figured out what happened. If gore the fact that I have a new job. I!!!8217;m working this out from my old job, which is where I got my £800 wage from.

£1300.00 take home pay, pro rata to 24 hours per week is £780. Rounded up because the boss man likes round numbers is £800.

New question: is that how you!!!8217;re meant to work out a part time wage? Because I!!!8217;m thinking that you!!!8217;re meant to go from the gross and not the take home. Is that right?
    Yes. The gross is what youre paid, and the take home can vary from millions of things from pensions, car salary sacrifice, student loans, earnings attachments.

Normally when you go for a job they tell you what the salary is. You dont normally say i need to be paid at least £800 As now it looks like theyre paying you £800 as you asked, but your actual pay is lower. They dont know if youre paying child
    Maintenance, a hefty debt back through earnings attachment etc, so at the get go wouldnt agree to a net pay because they could be agreeingtoo all sorts
    Last edited by marliepanda; 08-04-2018 at 11:02 PM. Reason: MSE still hasn!!!8217;t fixed the apostrophe issue
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 11:02 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    So my last employer worked it all out wrong! They were underpaying me too. Thankfully it was only for 3 months but that!!!8217;s still £336 I!!!8217;ve been underpaid.

Does anyone know if I can do anything about that? Or is it too late now because I!!!8217;ve left?
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Apr 18, 11:11 PM
    • 6,348 Posts
    • 13,527 Thanks
    marliepanda
    So my last employer worked it all out wrong! They were underpaying me too. Thankfully it was only for 3 months but that!!!8217;s still £336 I!!!8217;ve been underpaid.

Does anyone know if I can do anything about that? Or is it too late now because I!!!8217;ve left?
    You said that pro rata it worked out correctly in your last post, but Ďrounded upí from 780 to 800?

What was your GROSS pay on your payslips.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 8th Apr 18, 11:19 PM
    • 3,333 Posts
    • 1,739 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Could this not be age related pay?? So you've dipped out somewhere - Enrolled for more then basic pension on top at some point? Anything.

I've asked for a rounded up to 10k on a job application for a 24 hour per week job recently - I'm currently just over 18k (well even then only 'proportionate' when considering the job term EG !... won't have worked the full year!) for 35 hours a week. Three jobs in one currently.

Yes you can persue it - but you really should have raised it while in employment rather then out of it - and you might want to consider very carefully if your industry is based at all on references going forward as I can tell you to have a professional reference behind you is worth more then any money at times.
    Last edited by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt; 08-04-2018 at 11:19 PM. Reason: .
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 11:30 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    You said that pro rata it worked out correctly in your last post, but Ďrounded upí from 780 to 800?

What was your GROSS pay on your payslips.
    Originally posted by marliepanda
    From my calculations they have rounded it up from £780 to £800. The £780 was worked out from £1300 take home pay pro rata to 24 hours. Iím just assuming this is what theyíve done. But Iím pretty sure theyíve worked it out from my take home and not my gross pay.

I they didnít give me any pay slips from when I returned to work in August, up until I left in December. I was that desperate to leave, I didnít even realise until Iíve just started trying to work this out.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 8th Apr 18, 11:32 PM
    • 6,348 Posts
    • 13,527 Thanks
    marliepanda
    From my calculations they have rounded it up from £780 to £800. The £780 was worked out from £1300 take home pay pro rata to 24 hours. Iím just assuming this is what theyíve done. But Iím pretty sure theyíve worked it out from my take home and not my gross pay.

I they didnít give me any pay slips from when I returned to work in August, up until I left in December. I was that desperate to leave, I didnít even realise until Iíve just started trying to work this out.
    No one can tell you anything without access to the information on your payslips. There are hundreds of reasons this could be the case.
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 11:32 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    Could this not be age related pay?? So you've dipped out somewhere - Enrolled for more then basic pension on top at some point? Anything.

I've asked for a rounded up to 10k on a job application for a 24 hour per week job recently - I'm currently just over 18k (well even then only 'proportionate' when considering the job term EG !... won't have worked the full year!) for 35 hours a week. Three jobs in one currently.

Yes you can persue it - but you really should have raised it while in employment rather then out of it - and you might want to consider very carefully if your industry is based at all on references going forward as I can tell you to have a professional reference behind you is worth more then any money at times.
    Originally posted by keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Not age related. Im 29.
    I wish I had questioned it before then! Its only coming to light now because Im trying to work out my hourly rate, and Iíve gone back over my full time pay to see how much I used to earn and itís thrown it up. At the time, i just assumed it was because I didnít have to pay tax any more, which made it lower. And I had worked it out from my take home wage, which worked out right.
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 8th Apr 18, 11:34 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    No one can tell you anything without access to the information on your payslips. There are hundreds of reasons this could be the case.
    Iíll ask for copies of them then. Thank you.
    • Savvy_Sue
    • By Savvy_Sue 9th Apr 18, 8:29 AM
    • 38,907 Posts
    • 35,751 Thanks
    Savvy_Sue
    Right. Start again. I think Iíve figured out what happened. If gore the fact that I have a new job. Iím working this out from my old job, which is where I got my £800 wage from.

New question: is that how youíre meant to work out a part time wage? Because Iím thinking that youíre meant to go from the gross and not the take home. Is that right?
    Yes, but it could be argued that an employer could reasonably expect YOU to do the same. Because until you start, the employer has no idea what your tax code should be, whether you have student loan deductions to make, even (new complication here!) whether you're domiciled in Scotland and therefore potentially paying a different rate of tax. (OK, I accept that may be unlikely in the majority of cases, but it remains a possibility!)

There are a few cases where the net salary is what is negotiated on (nannies, for example), and the employer is then expected to gross up to cover deductions, but you need to start taking deductions into account, checking payslips in future, and working out your gross pay expectations next time you change jobs.
    Still knitting!
    Completed: 1 adult cardigan, 3 baby jumpers, 3 shawls, 1 sweat band, 3 pairs baby bootees,
    1 Wise Man Knitivity figure + 1 sheep, 2 pairs socks, 2 hats 2 balaclavas for seamen, 1 balaclava for myself ...
    Current projects: Poppies, mohair cardigan pattern arrived and going strong!
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 9th Apr 18, 8:38 AM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    Ok, it took two pages, but it is finally clear that your problem is what happened when you went part time at your old employer. You really need to try and present information more clearly.

Forget tax. Forget NI. Forget your new employer. Forget "rounding up and rounding down".

Find out what you were paid gross at your old employer for 40 hours a week, and gross at your old [EDIT] employer for 24 hours a week.

If the second figure is less than 24/40 * the first figure, then they gave you a pay cut.

That's all.
    Last edited by ScorpiondeRooftrouser; 09-04-2018 at 10:25 AM.
    • marliepanda
    • By marliepanda 9th Apr 18, 9:33 AM
    • 6,348 Posts
    • 13,527 Thanks
    marliepanda
    Ok, it took two pages, but it is finally clear that your problem is what happened when you went part time at your old employer. You really need to try and present information more clearly.

Forget tax. Forget NI. Forget your new employer. Forget "rounding up and rounding down".

Find out what you were paid gross at your old employer for 40 hours a week, and gross at your new employer for 24 hours a week.

If the second figure is less than 24/40 * the first figure, then they gave you a pay cut.

That's all.
    Originally posted by ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I still don!!!8217;t think you!!!8217;ve got it.

OP worked at employer A full time. Got paid a wage of 1300 net(I think...). Then they switched to part time and got paid ~£800 net

Then moved to employer B and said !!!8216;I need to be paid £800!!!8217; so they!!!8217;ve paid her £800 (which is now less due to tax) there is no issue of a pay cut here as they paid what they were asked to pay.

Now they are wondering whether employer A gave them a pay cut when moving from full time to part time, but has no idea what they were actually paid only what they got in their bank account so we have no idea how to help.
    Last edited by marliepanda; 09-04-2018 at 9:50 AM.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 9th Apr 18, 10:24 AM
    • 2,640 Posts
    • 4,178 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    I still don!!!8217;t think you!!!8217;ve got it.

OP worked at employer A full time. Got paid a wage of 1300 net(I think...). Then they switched to part time and got paid ~£800 net

Then moved to employer B and said !!!8216;I need to be paid £800!!!8217; so they!!!8217;ve paid her £800 (which is now less due to tax) there is no issue of a pay cut here as they paid what they were asked to pay.

Now they are wondering whether employer A gave them a pay cut when moving from full time to part time, but has no idea what they were actually paid only what they got in their bank account so we have no idea how to help.

You are right...I said "new" when I meant to say old. Have edited accordingly. The new employer is irrelevant.
    • swazzle2000
    • By swazzle2000 11th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    swazzle2000
    Employer A did give me a pay cut. But by accident. He worked it out using my take home pay and not my gross pay. So I should have been taking Home £912 but I was taking Home £800.
    I!!!8217;ve now moved to employer B and asked for £800 and that!!!8217;s what they!!!8217;re paying me, which is really annoying because employer A worked my pay out wrong. So because of his idiocy and because I never thought to check (I!!!8217;ve not been part time before so I wasn!!!8217;t sure how to work it out, which is why I was trying to ask here), I!!!8217;ve now lost £1300 per year in pay and gone back to what I!!!8217;ve built up over 5 years. I am so livid. You trust your employer to know how to work out your wages!!

I know it hasn!!!8217;t got anything to do with employer B. It!!!8217;s just irritating that!!!8217;s all. I!!!8217;ve had a pay cut through no fault of my own and now I!!!8217;m stuck with it. Guess it!!!8217;s time to find another new job.
    • John-K
    • By John-K 11th Apr 18, 7:11 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,017 Thanks
    John-K
    You say it is no fault of your own, but of course it is. You asked for an amount, and we!!!8217;re given an amount. How you can claim this is unfair, or not your fault, is not clear.

Now, what do you intend to do about it?
    • Fireflyaway
    • By Fireflyaway 11th Apr 18, 7:22 PM
    • 1,883 Posts
    • 2,074 Thanks
    Fireflyaway
    As another poster said, the salary calculator website is really good. Type either the full time salary and then the calculator will work out the pro rata amount or just put the salary for your hours and it will work out the take home pay.
    Its important to check your pay. I was underpaid for 18 months once due to being in the wrong tax code!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

141Posts Today

1,463Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin