Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • CANARY1996
    • By CANARY1996 8th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    CANARY1996
    0 WOW
    Scared I won't fit in plane seat
    • 8th Apr 18, 9:54 AM
    0 WOW
    Scared I won't fit in plane seat 8th Apr 18 at 9:54 AM
    Hello.

I am a size 24 top. Size 26 bottoms (uk sizing). About 300lb. I am losing weight but I have run out of time before a few plane trips. I don't want to miss out of such fantastic opportunities but I am having panic attacks over not being able to fit in the seat at all and being kicked off the flight altogether.

The link below is to some pictures of me (as everyone carries weight differently.) Has anyone got any comforting words or stories?
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 8th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:03 AM
    When I weighed 23 stone I was fine.

Some flights will let you pay more for wider seats and/or more leg room.
    • Misslayed
    • By Misslayed 8th Apr 18, 10:09 AM
    • 4,819 Posts
    • 25,461 Thanks
    Misslayed
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:09 AM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:09 AM
    You're my identical twin! Just ask for a seatbelt extension and put the armrest up when in the air, you'll be fine
    Hi. Martin has asked me to tell you I'm a (novice) Board Guide on the Competitions, Site Feedback and Campaigns boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (it's not part of my role to deal with abuse). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.
    • CANARY1996
    • By CANARY1996 8th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    CANARY1996
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:12 AM
    https://
    www.
    flickr
    .com/photos
    /163820117
    @N06/shares
    /708187

Take out the spaces for the link to photos
    • Mojisola
    • By Mojisola 8th Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    • 29,795 Posts
    • 76,360 Thanks
    Mojisola
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    I am a size 24 top. Size 26 bottoms (uk sizing). About 300lb.
    Originally posted by CANARY1996
    The important measurement is how much space you take up when you sit down.

This site gives info about seat widths -
    www.seatguru.com/charts/generalcharts.php
    • welshbookworm
    • By welshbookworm 8th Apr 18, 10:46 AM
    • 2,556 Posts
    • 6,655 Thanks
    welshbookworm
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:46 AM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:46 AM
    A quick Google reveals comments of people weighing up to 500 lbs being able to fit into airplane seats, so you shouldn't have a problem.
    You weigh less than I used to and a lot less than a lot of men, I wouldn't worry at all. Enjoy your flight.
    The best portion of your life will be the small, nameless moments you spend smiling with someone who matters to you.
    • splishsplash
    • By splishsplash 8th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 2,823 Posts
    • 8,044 Thanks
    splishsplash
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:59 AM
    A quick Google reveals comments of people weighing up to 500 lbs being able to fit into airplane seats, so you shouldn't have a problem.
    You weigh less than I used to and a lot less than a lot of men, I wouldn't worry at all. Enjoy your flight.
    Originally posted by welshbookworm
    A quick Google also reveals this thread has been posted on travel stack exchange, lonely planet, my fitness pal to name but a few... All replies I've read have been pretty similar.

Why the multiple threads with photos, OP?
    I walk around like everything is fine, but deep down, inside my shoe, my sock is sliding off.
    • Westin
    • By Westin 8th Apr 18, 11:39 AM
    • 1,503 Posts
    • 1,112 Thanks
    Westin
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:39 AM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:39 AM
    You're my identical twin! Just ask for a seatbelt extension and put the armrest up when in the air, you'll be fine
    Originally posted by Misslayed
    With respect, put the armrest up IF it is your family member or friend in the adjacent seat. If not then the armrest should remain down unless the person adjacent agrees that the space can be shared.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:58 PM
    How long are the flights? Is it a possibility to buy two seats to ensure that you are comfortable and not feeling self conscious for the whole journey?
    • photome
    • By photome 8th Apr 18, 6:04 PM
    • 13,480 Posts
    • 8,994 Thanks
    photome
    How long are the flights? Is it a possibility to buy two seats to ensure that you are comfortable and not feeling self conscious for the whole journey?
    Originally posted by Red-Squirrel
    Is that allowed?

As most flights are oversold how does one person check in to 2 seats to avoid one of the seats being used by someone else
    • koalakoala
    • By koalakoala 8th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    koalakoala
    With respect, put the armrest up IF it is your family member or friend in the adjacent seat. If not then the armrest should remain down unless the person adjacent agrees that the space can be shared.
    Originally posted by Westin

Totally agree, nothing worse than someone taking up half your space!
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 8th Apr 18, 8:03 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Is that allowed?

As most flights are oversold how does one person check in to 2 seats to avoid one of the seats being used by someone else
    Originally posted by photome
    I don't know, it would be a case of ringing the airline I think, but I remember it being in the news when the director Kevin Smith wasn't allowed to fly because he didn't fit in his seat and he was told he should have booked two, so maybe this is something there is a procedure for?
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 8th Apr 18, 11:36 PM
    • 5,673 Posts
    • 4,999 Thanks
    mgdavid
    Is that allowed?

Originally posted by photome
    Also don't know how it actually is processed but I've read more than once of musicians booking a 2nd seat for their valuable instrument.
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 9th Apr 18, 5:48 AM
    • 5,729 Posts
    • 3,684 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    I dont know about other airlines but you can purchase a 2nd seat with Ryanair

see https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#3-22

Yes, large passengers can purchase an extra seat for comfort. To assist in your decision regarding the purchase of an extra comfort seat below, are Ryanair's seat dimensions.

RYANAIR AIRCRAFT SEAT DIMENSIONS

Seat width from between seat armrests is 43.2cms or 17 inches
    Seat depth is 58cms or 22.8 inches.

Seat height is 69 cms or 27.2 inches

Seat pitch (distance from the back of the seat to the tray table in front) 76.2 cms or 30 inches

To book an extra seat for comfort go online and select 2 seats the first seat should be booked in the actual passenger's name and the extra seat should be entered as COMFORT SEAT as the Last Name and EXTRA as the first Name. The name EXTRA COMFORT SEAT will then be displayed on the reservation and online boarding pass.
    Allocated seating in emergency rows 1,16 and 17 may not be purchased if you have purchased an extra seat for item/comfort.
    Please note that all passengers purchasing an extra seat can use online check-in. The same travel document details must be entered for both seats when checking in online. Online check-in is available from 60 days prior up to 2 hours before the scheduled flight departure times if you have purchased allocated seats. If you choose not to purchase an allocated seat check in will only be available from 7 days up to 2 hours prior to each scheduled flight departure. Free allocated seats will be available between 4 days and 2 hours before each booked flight as of 01st November 2016. There is no cabin or checked baggage allowance associated with the purchase of an extra seat.

Spanish Resident and Large Family subsidy is not applicable on EXTRA seats
    • jackieblack
    • By jackieblack 9th Apr 18, 6:34 AM
    • 8,020 Posts
    • 11,801 Thanks
    jackieblack
    I dont know about other airlines but you can purchase a 2nd seat with Ryanair

see https://www.ryanair.com/gb/en/useful-info/help-centre/faq-overview#3-22
    Originally posted by budgetflyer
    Then presumably passengers purchasing a second seat would need to pay extra to book 2 seats next to each other - not much good booking a second seat and then letting Ryanair's software allocate the seats several rows apart or across the aisle from each other
    2.22kWp Solar PV system installed Oct 2010, Fronius IG20 Inverter,
    south facing (-5 deg), 30 degree pitch, no shading

Quidquid Latine dictum sit altum videtur
    (Revera linguam latinam vix cognovi )
    • dan28
    • By dan28 9th Apr 18, 6:46 AM
    • 231 Posts
    • 549 Thanks
    dan28
    If you fly with BA there is an opportunity to book an extra seat, too. See "Booking an extra seat for additional personal space" on https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb/information/seating/reserving-your-seat
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 9th Apr 18, 10:14 AM
    • 20,710 Posts
    • 55,739 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Originally posted by Westin
    +1 to this ^^^^
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 9th Apr 18, 7:28 PM
    • 2,869 Posts
    • 3,571 Thanks
    jackomdj
    How long have you got till you fly? Any medical conditions (don't answer, just a thought). If no medical issues try Cambridge diet or Exante, both VLCD where you could drop a lot of weight quickly.
    • BorisThomson
    • By BorisThomson 9th Apr 18, 7:40 PM
    • 1,586 Posts
    • 3,435 Thanks
    BorisThomson
    How long have you got till you fly? Any medical conditions (don't answer, just a thought). If no medical issues try Cambridge diet or Exante, both VLCD where you could drop a lot of weight quickly.
    Originally posted by jackomdj
    And put it on again equally quickly. Complete waste of money.
    • Red-Squirrel
    • By Red-Squirrel 9th Apr 18, 7:55 PM
    • 3,287 Posts
    • 8,882 Thanks
    Red-Squirrel
    Originally posted by jackomdj
    Terrible terrible advice.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

146Posts Today

1,265Users online

Martin's Twitter