Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MrRobots
    • By MrRobots 8th Apr 18, 7:48 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 4Thanks
    MrRobots
    Over 100k in savings - am I using the right accounts?
    • 8th Apr 18, 7:48 AM
    Over 100k in savings - am I using the right accounts? 8th Apr 18 at 7:48 AM
    My wife and I have about 110k in savings. When we can we overpay on the mortgage, but that's capped each year at 10% of remaining balance. We have no other debt to pay down. We save about 1.5k a month.

We have three Santander 123 accounts (one each and one joint), with 20k in each. With cashback on mortgage and utilities minus account fees, by my calculations it's about 1.5% interest per year.

We have 30k sitting in two old ISAs. These pay just north of 1%.

Embarrassingly about 20k is currently just sitting in a bog standard account earning nothing. I know, I know... I had intended to invest this in the stock market, but judging by current performance I think I was right to wait.

We also own some gold.

Aside from the 20k of uninvested money, is the rest reasonable?

I've seen that Tesco is offering 3% on up to 3k. Might be worth trying to open three accounts?
Page 3
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 11th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    Iím looking to do the same, have 20k in vanguard cash isa, waiting to transfer to lifestrategy 60 or 80.
    I know all about it being long term investment but still wondering whether to wait and see what happens with us/syria about to kick off.
    Is this likely to make much of a difference or would you still just get it in now eskbanker?
    I understand vls is in very diverse stocks so any one conflict probably wonít impact more than a percentage or so, but is it still worth waiting to see?
    Originally posted by MM2002
    Someone will probably say I'm wrong, but so far VLS 80 is one of my worst performing funds atm!
    • kidmugsy
    • By kidmugsy 11th Apr 18, 1:30 PM
    • 10,352 Posts
    • 7,048 Thanks
    kidmugsy
    MSE used to refer the savings as "losings" (with good reason) although I havent heard this recently. The effect of inflation on savings must be recognised.
    Originally posted by greenglide
    But the effect is often exaggerated - until recently we had found it easy to earn more than inflation. Part of the problem is that investment mangers often couldn't do it, being largely limited to treasury bills for their "cash". Personal investors had a much easier job.
    Free the dunston one next time too.
    • MM2002
    • By MM2002 11th Apr 18, 2:16 PM
    • 79 Posts
    • 9 Thanks
    MM2002
    Someone will probably say I'm wrong, but so far VLS 80 is one of my worst performing funds atm!
    Originally posted by DennisTenus
    So I'm guessing you only got in late last year/early this year then?
    • DennisTenus
    • By DennisTenus 11th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 147 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    DennisTenus
    So I'm guessing you only got in late last year/early this year then?
    Originally posted by MM2002
    Yes, I know, too early to tell however I'm just comparing it with some of my other funds which are doing way better. Of course it could change I know.
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 11th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 917 Posts
    • 728 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    All very interesting but I'm not sure how any of this is answering the OP's question.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,442Users online

Martin's Twitter