Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • iwantotleave
    • By iwantotleave 8th Apr 18, 2:00 AM
    • 8Posts
    • 8Thanks
    iwantotleave
    Lost job, need to find cheaper place...
    • 8th Apr 18, 2:00 AM
    Lost job, need to find cheaper place... 8th Apr 18 at 2:00 AM
    Hi. Have been told I'm being made redundant as company is closing down and I've three months to find a new job. Well, that was two months ago, have found something to tide me over, but it's on a much reduced salary. Won't be able to afford current rent and bills and was thinking about moving into shared HMO accomodation to reduce costs.

After a month of not finding a job had told landlord and asked if he could re-advertise the house. He says he's sorry to hear about my job, but still expects me to keep paying the rent until the current lease contract is up - have signed a 12 month lease and am 5 months into that. I asked if I can get a lodger for the spare room to share costs, he says no.

What are my options really? If I do get a lodger behind his back and he doesn't like it, the worst he can do is give me a notice to quit, right?
Page 2
    • Pixie5740
    • By Pixie5740 8th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 12,937 Posts
    • 18,602 Thanks
    Pixie5740
    Oh, I'm fine with the lodger. Tenancy agreement specifically says no lodgers. Landlord says absolutely definitely no lodgers...

Would I not get a CCJ if the landlord tried to take me to court for the seven months rent remaining after he evicts me for breaking the TA?
    Originally posted by iwantotleave
    No, he can't have it both ways. If he serves you with a Section 8 notice, probably ground 12 (breach of tenancy agreement) and he wins in court then the tenancy has ended he wouldn't be able to also claim rent for the full 12 month fixed term. Ground 12 is a discretionary ground so there's no guarantee it would go his way in court if it came to it anyway which means if he tries that route he might then be more amenable to agreeing a mutual surrender.
    • iwantotleave
    • By iwantotleave 8th Apr 18, 6:17 PM
    • 8 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    iwantotleave
    You didn't need to have the seven months rent and bills in the bank. A minimum wage full time job pays around 1090 a month after tax so even if you had only 770 in the bank this would have just about converted you for the 7 months. You could then have got a second job to get the money for other essential expenditure.

Also the fact that your quoting it as 1200 exactly suggests you don't actually have a budget and don't know exactly what you need to pay and how much. Get on the Debt Free Wannabe part of this forum and post a SOA and get suggestions on how to save money. If you don't know how much money you need it's difficult to work out a solution.

I also have to mention that your the one who signed a contract where you agreed to pay the rent for 12 months. You didn't have to do this and could have moved to a place where it had a shorter contract if you have no savings. Which is something to keep in mind in the future.

But your best course of action now is to get your SOA filled out giving details of how much you will earn on your new job and see what people suggest.
    Originally posted by takman
    Wow. You are actually serious...

I am 19 pounds out.

The actual amount is 1,219. Made up of the following Rent = 990. Electricity 60 direct debit. Gas = 70 direct debit. Water 30. Council Tax (single person) 69.

I'm not including my other necessary expenditure such as my food and travel to work costs. I'm not really interested in having someone tell me how I don't have a budget or how I'm wrong and how I actually can stay where I am whilst exhausting my savings.

I

CANNOT

AFFORD

TO

RENT

ON

MY

NEW

WAGES

How can I make it any clearer?

I was primarily interested in two options. And only two options. 1 - Getting a lodger in to make up the shortfall in the rent. 2 - giving the landlord notice and moving to shared accomodations.
  • archived user
    You've come onto a forum asking questions and for people to help you sometimes they need to ask questions.

We don't know age, salaries of old or new job. Bottom line is your living somewhere that clearly isn't that comfortable for you. If you don't have much savings it's clear that your rent and bills is a significantly higher percentage of your earnings than normal.

Either than or your lifestyle doesn't facilitate saving money. You entered an agreement and signed a contract. You've asked the question and your landlord has said no.

So your options are move out and pay the money which you can't afford. Or live in the house and get a part time job to supplement your lower salary. Shouldn't be hard to find a weekend bar job or collecting glasses. There's no easy answer or easy way.
    • takman
    • By takman 8th Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 3,651 Posts
    • 3,281 Thanks
    takman
    Wow. You are actually serious...

I am 19 pounds out.

The actual amount is 1,219. Made up of the following Rent = 990. Electricity 60 direct debit. Gas = 70 direct debit. Water 30. Council Tax (single person) 69.

I'm not including my other necessary expenditure such as my food and travel to work costs. I'm not really interested in having someone tell me how I don't have a budget or how I'm wrong and how I actually can stay where I am whilst exhausting my savings.

I

CANNOT

AFFORD

TO

RENT

ON

MY

NEW

WAGES

How can I make it any clearer?

I was primarily interested in two options. And only two options. 1 - Getting a lodger in to make up the shortfall in the rent. 2 - giving the landlord notice and moving to shared accomodations.
    Originally posted by iwantotleave
    I've given you some useful suggestions, if you decide it's a load of rubbish then that's up to you because the only person loosing out is you. The situation you are in now is purely down to your poor financial planning and if you can't see that then your only going to make the same mistakes in future.
    Paying 130 a month for gas and electricity is ridiculous for a single person. I also think paying 990 a month rent is ridiculous for a single person aswell but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt as you could live in an expensive area but there was no need to sign a 12 months contract.

But I'll make one important correction. You can afford to rent on your new wages if you get a second job but your refusing to even consider that.

Also one last point, just think if you were abit sensible and actually lived in shared accommodation instead of committing to a place which cost you 1219 a month on bills alone you might have saved up a good amount of money. This could have also meant you might have been able to buy a place when you got a decent job again instead of throwing money away by renting!.
  • archived user
    Are you not getting anything in regards to redundancy? If your paying 1200 a month you must be on a good salary which should mean some sort of redundancy package even a month or two wages? Which would help you out.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

58Posts Today

2,057Users online

Martin's Twitter