Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • okigen
    • By okigen 8th Apr 18, 12:11 AM
    • 6Posts
    • 1Thanks
    okigen
    Barclays card pre-approved but “waiting for decision”
    • 8th Apr 18, 12:11 AM
    Barclays card pre-approved but “waiting for decision” 8th Apr 18 at 12:11 AM
    Hi guys,

Did anyone get the “pre-approval” with Barclay Initial eligibility check but then a “can’t decide” message when actually submitting the application? What is the difference between the 2 stages?

After submitting that application I went back and checked my credit ratings at the 3 agencies. Experian shows “Excellent” and the other two shows “Fair”. It’s true that I don’t have much credit history - if one mobile contract can be called that .., and I’m not on electorial roll either, but if it is the reason that they couldn’t decide, I would assume the eligibility check should not be “pre-apprved”, should it?

Does anyone have some idea how I bombed the application?
Page 1
    • Nebulous2
    • By Nebulous2 8th Apr 18, 6:24 AM
    • 1,825 Posts
    • 1,102 Thanks
    Nebulous2
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:24 AM
    • 8th Apr 18, 6:24 AM
    A soft check only takes them so far. When they do the hard check during full application it may turn up information they want to check.

It is quite common for that to happen.
    • luvsmoothies
    • By luvsmoothies 8th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 519 Posts
    • 341 Thanks
    luvsmoothies
    • 8th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    Not being on the electoral role is a big negative factor
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 8th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 8,334 Posts
    • 8,598 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    I don't think there has ever been a UK credit card with the name "Barclays Card" - So you should maybe ensure you have not handed all your details to a scammer who is keeping you hanging-on whilst they clean you out?
    • GM1880
    • By GM1880 8th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 122 Posts
    • 40 Thanks
    GM1880
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    I had the same referral with Barclaycard, not particularly unusual, especially if you have a notice of correction, a CIFAS or if you're not on the electoral roll etc?

Just an underwriter having a manual look.

Any reason why you're not on the electoral roll?
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 8th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    I don't think there has ever been a UK credit card with the name "Barclays Card" - So you should maybe ensure you have not handed all your details to a scammer who is keeping you hanging-on whilst they clean you out?
    Originally posted by pogofish
    They didn’t say “Barclays Card” though, they said “Barclays card” and it is indeed a card that is ultimately provided by Barclays.
    • Gary_Dexter
    • By Gary_Dexter 8th Apr 18, 10:37 PM
    • 906 Posts
    • 500 Thanks
    Gary_Dexter
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:37 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:37 PM
    They didn’t say “Barclays Card” though, they said “Barclays card” and it is indeed a card that is ultimately provided by Barclays.
    Originally posted by boo_star
    Well actually it’s marketed as “barclaycard”. But ho hum
    • boo_star
    • By boo_star 8th Apr 18, 10:42 PM
    • 1,445 Posts
    • 794 Thanks
    boo_star
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:42 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:42 PM
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    That’s why I said “ultimately.”
    • okigen
    • By okigen 9th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    • 6 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    okigen
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:27 AM
    I had the same referral with Barclaycard, not particularly unusual, especially if you have a notice of correction, a CIFAS or if you're not on the electoral roll etc?

Just an underwriter having a manual look.

Any reason why you're not on the electoral roll?
    I!!!8217;m not British or Common Wealth citizens so cannot vote

Though a few friends of mine were in the same situation, but somehow had no issue getting credit cards and morgages ...
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 9th Apr 18, 12:43 AM
    • 84 Posts
    • 36 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Did anyone get the “pre-approval” with Barclay Initial eligibility check but then a “can’t decide” message when actually submitting the application? What is the difference between the 2 stages?

Does anyone have some idea how I bombed the application?
    Originally posted by okigen
    There is nothing wrong with your application. They will check it manually and ask to visit a branch and to bring a passport, a residence permit, and a proof of address. No need to worry. You will hear back from Barclays within a week. If you don't - just give them a call, and ask about the status of your application.
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 9th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 8,334 Posts
    • 8,598 Thanks
    pogofish
    Originally posted by Gary_Dexter
    Either way, the only cards bearing the name "Barclays" are IIRC bank cards, not credit cards - so still outwith the remit of this forum.
    • davethorp
    • By davethorp 9th Apr 18, 6:46 PM
    • 1,437 Posts
    • 1,066 Thanks
    davethorp
    Either way, the only cards bearing the name "Barclays" are IIRC bank cards, not credit cards - so still outwith the remit of this forum.
    Originally posted by pogofish
    You must be real fun at parties. I think the OP’s meaning was quite clear to all but the most pedantic of people

• A4445
    • By A4445 9th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 730 Posts
    • 337 Thanks
    A4445
    Does anybody know how many Barclaycards you can hold?
    • maxximus75
    • By maxximus75 9th Apr 18, 11:57 PM
    • 24 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    maxximus75
    It used to be one, then they changed to two but I believe they have recently changed it to one again?

I may be completely wrong and my reasons for this is that when I used to go on their pre-checker and I put in that I was an existing customer, I would get a 95% chance offer. Now when I do this, I get a 0% offer but if I change it to that I am not an existing customer, I get a 95% chance offer.

I guess the only real way to find out is to call and ask?
    • sjb76
    • By sjb76 10th Apr 18, 2:12 PM
    • 18 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    sjb76
    I have 3 of them.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,444Posts Today

8,408Users online

Martin's Twitter