Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • downs523
    • By downs523 7th Apr 18, 9:15 PM
    • 748Posts
    • 312Thanks
    downs523
    Request for Building regulations compliance cert?!?
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:15 PM
    Request for Building regulations compliance cert?!? 7th Apr 18 at 9:15 PM
    Hi all

I am in the process of selling my house and have not yet exchanged contracts. We have had further queries from our buyers solicitors and one of them was if we had the following:

The building regulations compliance certificate for the boiler.

Our house was built in 2005 and the boiler was installed then. When we bought the property in 2014 we never had a copy of this. I have done some research and went to the gas safe site where i can input my address to order a duplicate copy but it states they do not hold one.

Is this because it was corgi at the time?
    Do gas safe have Corgi info as they replaced them?

Will not having this cause any delays or can i exchange without this certificate?

It would be interesting if anyone on here has experience in this as its worrying at this stage.

Thanks and sorry for the essay!.
Page 1
    • davidmcn
    • By davidmcn 7th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 8,539 Posts
    • 9,002 Thanks
    davidmcn
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:29 PM
    If it was installed as part of the original build then isn't it just covered by the sign-off for the whole house? Not sure that there'd be a separate bit of paper.
    • timbo29
    • By timbo29 7th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 43 Posts
    • 10 Thanks
    timbo29
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:46 PM
    CORGI is now GASSAFE
    You should state that the boiler was installed when the house was first built, however your previous solicitor should have requested a copy of this.
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 7th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 25,784 Posts
    • 69,827 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    There won't be a separate certificate, it would fall under the original build.

As if there's any use at all in an installation certificate for a 13 year old boiler. Anything could have happened in that time.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • downs523
    • By downs523 8th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    downs523
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 10:58 PM
    Thanks for the replies. Can we exchange/complete without one if there never was one? Or is this something I am going to have to try and somehow obtain?

I have no idea how to go about this.
    • AnotherJoe
    • By AnotherJoe 8th Apr 18, 11:18 PM
    • 10,617 Posts
    • 12,157 Thanks
    AnotherJoe
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:18 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 11:18 PM
    No you dont need it and yes you can exchange with the proviso that the buyers solicitor may want someone to pointlessly spend money on an indemnity guarantee. The buyer would be better off spending the money having the boiler checked out but probably will go with what their solicitor wants.

So, just respond that you dont have one as it was installed at the same time as the house and see what happens.
    • Hoploz
    • By Hoploz 9th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    • 3,841 Posts
    • 3,383 Thanks
    Hoploz
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 11:22 AM
    If you were feeling helpful you could offer to get the boiler checked and a fresh new safety certificate issued, which would be far more useful. It'd be less than 100 ... Or you might suggest the buyer might like to do it.
    • AlexMac
    • By AlexMac 9th Apr 18, 2:40 PM
    • 2,144 Posts
    • 1,885 Thanks
    AlexMac
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:40 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 2:40 PM
    Having bought and sold many times over the past 40 years, I've seen risk averse behaviour by buyers (or rather, their solicitors) increase exponentially. This kind of request is typical make-work.

Your boiler's probably already well off the end of its design life. Any sensible buyer will assume they may have to spend 1.5-3k replacing it in the 1st few years. I've had to replace the boiler in every one of the last six flats and houses I've bought in the last 20 years; usually within a couple of years of ownership, so I just factor that into my offer.

I have never asked for nor been offered an installation cert for any of the boilers in any of the houses I've bought. If I had, it wouldn't have stopped them failing after 10-20 years (the one in my present home did well to last 20+ years since its installation when the house was built in 1986).

A gas safety check might reasure your buyer that they won't get suffocated by CO2 but any MOT-type check commissioned by you is worthess to them. So suggest they do their own in lieu of the missing cert. And if that stresses them, you could knock a ton - half a percent? -less? - off the price.

But then expect them to try shave a few quid off for everything else in the house which has expereinced the usual wear and tear?

So tell your solicitor to find some emollient words
    • downs523
    • By downs523 9th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 748 Posts
    • 312 Thanks
    downs523
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    Thanks. I do see it being a pretty pointless request due to the boilers age. Hopefully the yearly gas service certificate which was done a couple of weeks ago will satisfy them.
    • Johnhowell
    • By Johnhowell 9th Apr 18, 8:45 PM
    • 614 Posts
    • 274 Thanks
    Johnhowell
    I think this is another example of a tick box exercise by the solicitor (or the assistant). When I sold my last place, the buyer's solicitor wanted a gas safe certificate for the boiler - regardless of the fact that we had filled in our solicitor's questionnaire that highlighted the fact that the property had no gas and was fueled by oil!
    May also be an attempt to sell an indemnity policy...

Good luck
    • cjmillsnun
    • By cjmillsnun 9th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    • 602 Posts
    • 736 Thanks
    cjmillsnun
    CORGI is now GASSAFE
    You should state that the boiler was installed when the house was first built, however your previous solicitor should have requested a copy of this.
    Originally posted by timbo29
    Not so. CORGI still exist, but no longer run the gas engineer registration scheme. The GAS SAFE scheme is run by Capita.
    2.88 kWp System, SE Facing, 30 Degree Pitch, 12 x 240W Conergy Panels, Samil Solar River Inverter, Havant, Hampshire. Installed July 2012, acquired by me on purchase of house in August 2017
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

144Posts Today

1,220Users online

Martin's Twitter