Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • rvj87
    • By rvj87 7th Apr 18, 8:59 PM
    • 31Posts
    • 6Thanks
    rvj87
    Awarded pip out of nowhere?!
    • 7th Apr 18, 8:59 PM
    Awarded pip out of nowhere?! 7th Apr 18 at 8:59 PM
    Hi,
    With the help of a CAB adviser, I completed a mandatory reconsideration for PIP. I sent in a statement of reasons and supplied additional medical evidence. I was turned down again, and scored zero for everything. Today, however, after lodging an appeal with a first tier tribunal a few weeks ago, I had a letter from the DWP awarding me the standard rate of PIP until 2021. I'm not sure what to do. I have heard of the DWP awarding PIP to discourage people from going to tribunal. Would it be best for me to go anyway?
Page 3
    • Danday
    • By Danday 9th Apr 18, 3:58 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    You say you receive Pension Credit?
    Isn't Pension Credit means tested? For a couple it's around 248 a week isn't it?

Originally posted by batg
    Yes it is but in terms of how much you get is well above all of the other means tested benefits. The starting figure for a couple is I believe 248 a week. This can rise depending on the other benefits that you are also in receipt of to close to 700 a week for a couple, a figure that given the relevant entitlements is the amount the government say you need to live on.
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 9th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    • 48 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Nannytone
    Please provide details of how a pension credit payment of 700 can be achieved by one couple/B]
    • Ames
    • By Ames 9th Apr 18, 4:49 PM
    • 17,139 Posts
    • 30,123 Thanks
    Ames
    Please provide details of how a pension credit payment of 700 can be achieved by one couple/B]
    Originally posted by Nannytone
    It includes an extra premium to cover repairs to the bridge when billy goats gruff go trip trapping over it.
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 9th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    bspm1
    It includes an extra premium to cover repairs to the bridge when billy goats gruff go trip trapping over it.
    Originally posted by Ames
    I just spit my tea out when I read this!

This deserves a love button not a like one!

My eldest son loved Billy Goats Gruff.

• Danday
    • By Danday 9th Apr 18, 5:27 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    I never said that it was a pension credit payment of up to 700
    What I did say was:

This can rise depending on the other benefits that you are also in receipt of to close to 700 a week for a couple.
    • Tommo1980
    • By Tommo1980 9th Apr 18, 5:53 PM
    • 363 Posts
    • 575 Thanks
    Tommo1980
    Blah blah blah....
    • batg
    • By batg 9th Apr 18, 11:52 PM
    • 92 Posts
    • 93 Thanks
    batg
    If you are getting 700 a week already, why would one need Personal Independence Payment as well? Or is that included in that mystical figure?
    What I did say was:

This can rise depending on the other benefits that you are also in receipt of to close to 700 a week for a couple.
    Originally posted by Danday
    Jeeez, the poor wife!
    • Nannytone
    • By Nannytone 10th Apr 18, 8:10 AM
    • 48 Posts
    • 107 Thanks
    Nannytone
    What I did say was:

That in Furs that pension credit can rise to 700 a week dependent on other benefits.

Although I'm still uncertain of your 700 figure this would also include non means-tested benefit

please can you provide a complete breakdown because I've be really interested
    • Danday
    • By Danday 10th Apr 18, 2:48 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    If you are getting 700 a week already, why would one need Personal Independence Payment as well? Or is that included in that mystical figure?
    Originally posted by batg
    Included (well it was included but hopefully it will restart subject to the DWP changing their decision following the MR application) with the highest rate (life award) of AA that my wife claims
    • pmlindyloo
    • By pmlindyloo 10th Apr 18, 3:46 PM
    • 11,407 Posts
    • 13,293 Thanks
    pmlindyloo
    Included (well it was included but hopefully it will restart subject to the DWP changing their decision following the MR application) with the highest rate (life award) of AA that my wife claims
    AA has either a fixed end date or an indefinite award.

An indefinite award doesn't mean that you get it for the rest of your life. It just means that there is no fixed date for renewal.

Of course it is quite possible that your wife's AA will not need to be reviewed but just giving you a 'heads up'.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/claiming-attendance-allowance/renew-an-attendance-allowance-claim/
    • Danday
    • By Danday 10th Apr 18, 4:43 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    AA has either a fixed end date or an indefinite award.

An indefinite award doesn't mean that you get it for the rest of your life. It just means that there is no fixed date for renewal.

Of course it is quite possible that your wife's AA will not need to be reviewed but just giving you a 'heads up'.

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/attendance-allowance/claiming-attendance-allowance/renew-an-attendance-allowance-claim/
    Originally posted by pmlindyloo
    Thank you, I was aware that it was an indefinite award. There is little point in notifying the DWP of any deterioration in her health as she is on the highest award that can be awarded
    • Danday
    • By Danday 10th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    That in Furs that pension credit can rise to 700 a week dependent on other benefits.

Although I'm still uncertain of your 700 figure this would also include non means-tested benefit

please can you provide a complete breakdown because I've be really interested
    If you want to work it out, go onto the Turn2us website and enter enhanced for both components of PIP and highest AA award. Put that we each claim CA for each other but don't receive any money and then look at the answer.
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 10th Apr 18, 5:39 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    bspm1
    I have been spending time going through all of the relevant questions and answers on here and came across a reply from someone called alice holt.
    She mentions as do others that if you get a benefit for a disability you can get somebody to claim carers allowance for helping out.
    Does this allowance apply to husband and wife if they live together?
    How do you prove what the help is and more importantly the number of hours if you live with then day and night?
    I've looked on the CAB website and it says that the help cannot contradict the reason you claim the disability benefits for.
    I would have thought that living together like this would automatically raise questions by the DWP. Then end up with the disability benefit being disputed. How do you solve that problem?
    So in your February post above you were trying to find the rules for Carers allowance yet........

If you want to work it out, go onto the Turn2us website and enter enhanced for both components of PIP and highest AA award. Put that we each claim CA for each other but don't receive any money and then look at the answer.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 10th Apr 18, 5:51 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    So in your February post above you were trying to find the rules for Carers allowance yet........
    Originally posted by bspm1
    Yes I claimed and was awarded.
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 10th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    bspm1
    Yes I claimed and was awarded.
    Pity you have had so much trouble claiming PIP after your many reassessments really, you seem to have nailed Carers Allowance on the head in a few weeks.
    • seashore22
    • By seashore22 10th Apr 18, 9:49 PM
    • 928 Posts
    • 1,994 Thanks
    seashore22
    This is all very dispiriting. I remember the days of rockingbilly when threads would go round and round in circles and op would suck up all the energy like a shameless black hole. Op, have a little self awareness and give people with real problems some space. It's the decent thing to do.
    • airliner
    • By airliner 10th Apr 18, 11:42 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 38 Thanks
    airliner

However for pensioners that does not happen. Anybody entitled to Carers Allowance but also receives the State Pension does NOT get any payment from the CA award - they still continue to receive their full pension.
    A person can get Carer's Allowance and a State Pension at the same time if the value of their pension is less than what a payment of Carers Allowance would be.

E.g. If the State Pension was 60 per week and they claimed Carer's Allowance, they would get 4.60 per week paid as Carers Allowance.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 11th Apr 18, 12:04 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    A person can get Carer's Allowance and a State Pension at the same time if the value of their pension is less than what a payment of Carers Allowance would be.

E.g. If the State Pension was 60 per week and they claimed Carer's Allowance, they would get 4.60 per week paid as Carers Allowance.
    Originally posted by airliner
    I have no idea how many pensioners get 60 a week. Not that many. Yes you are right you would get the top up.

Most pensioners today normally have at least 150 a week, mine is just over 210 a week.
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 11th Apr 18, 8:39 AM
    • 54 Posts
    • 143 Thanks
    bspm1
    I have no idea how many pensioners get 60 a week. Not that many. Yes you are right you would get the top up.

Most pensioners today normally have at least 150 a week, mine is just over 210 a week.
    For future readers who may wonder and worry why they are not getting over 210 SP I tried to find an earlier post by this poster who has claimed Pension Credit because he and his partners SP is only 700 and something per month, it seems to have disappeared.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 11th Apr 18, 9:23 AM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    For future readers who may wonder and worry why they are not getting over 210 SP I tried to find an earlier post by this poster who has claimed Pension Credit because he and his partners SP is only 700 and something per month, it seems to have disappeared.
    Originally posted by bspm1
    The figure you quoted of just under 700 was what was received in a week from all sources including pension credit.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

879Posts Today

6,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Follow Martin