Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stokeyboy
    • By stokeyboy 7th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 1Thanks
    stokeyboy
    Insurance claim advice
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:21 PM
    Insurance claim advice 7th Apr 18 at 7:21 PM
    Hi,
    I've accidentally dropped my laptop just before my old policy expired. Can I still make a claim from my old insurers? I am insured with a different company now. Also this happened about a month before the insurance policy expired.
    Last edited by stokeyboy; 07-04-2018 at 7:23 PM.
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 7th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 35,136 Posts
    • 19,238 Thanks
    Quentin
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    Yes, you claim against the policy in force at the time of the incident
    • forgotmyname
    • By forgotmyname 7th Apr 18, 10:47 PM
    • 26,832 Posts
    • 10,785 Thanks
    forgotmyname
    • 7th Apr 18, 10:47 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 10:47 PM
    With the possible excess and the fact you will now need to contact the new insurer and declare this claim, so possible admin charges and a premium change? Is it worth claiming?

And not forgetting the question of why its taken you over a month to declare the accidental damage.
    Punctuation, Spelling and Grammar will be used sparingly. Due to rising costs of inflation.

My contribution to MSE. Other contributions will only be used if they cost me nothing.

Due to me being a tight git.
    • stokeyboy
    • By stokeyboy 9th Apr 18, 3:42 AM
    • 10 Posts
    • 1 Thanks
    stokeyboy
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:42 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 3:42 AM
    Does it matter how long it takes to submit a claim? I wasn't planning to make a claim at first and hence a claim was not put through immediately after time of incident.
    • paddyandstumpy
    • By paddyandstumpy 9th Apr 18, 6:34 AM
    • 1,022 Posts
    • 503 Thanks
    paddyandstumpy
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:34 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 6:34 AM
    Does it matter how long it takes to submit a claim? I wasn't planning to make a claim at first and hence a claim was not put through immediately after time of incident.
    Originally posted by stokeyboy
    They will most likely ask the question; so have an answer ready.

Also, they will take the laptop away and can quite easily see when it was last used. If this ties up with your story you should be fine.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

741Posts Today

7,926Users online

Martin's Twitter