Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gele
    • By gele 7th Apr 18, 7:10 PM
    • 117Posts
    • 51Thanks
    gele
    Switching to First Direct - help please
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:10 PM
    Switching to First Direct - help please 7th Apr 18 at 7:10 PM
    Hi, I opened a Santander everyday current account in order to switch it to first direct. This isn't my main account. When applying with First Direct it asks me for my main account details [which is Santander 123] I put these details in, but this is not the account I want to switch, its the everyday saver. I am concerned about completing the application in case this triggers the wrong account switch. Have I done it correctly? Am I able to specify the account to switch later? I don't want to mess it up.

Thanks
Page 1
    • gele
    • By gele 7th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    gele
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:23 PM
    I omitted to say that I am only on the 4th page of 7 of the application. The tab at the top says decision and then following this comes no. 5 options, no 6 submit and no7 confirmation. I am thinking options might offer me the opportunity to give switch details but didn't want to click apply on page 4 while still unsure.
    • YorkshireBoy
    • By YorkshireBoy 7th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 30,183 Posts
    • 18,070 Thanks
    YorkshireBoy
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    Why not open the account first?...ignoring any offer to switch that appears. Then call them to switch the Everyday current account once the FD account is up and running.
    • financialbliss
    • By financialbliss 7th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 8,358 Thanks
    financialbliss
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    Enter the account details of the account you want to switch, which sounds like the Everyday current account and not the 123.
    Mortgage and debt free. Building up savings...
    • gele
    • By gele 7th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    gele
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:37 PM
    I suppose I could. I didn't want to accidently rule myself out of any switching incentive. Looking again it appears that I have a few more pages to complete so I think if I just continue with it and it doesn't give me a option to name an alternate account to my main one I can just ring them.
    • gele
    • By gele 7th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    gele
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:43 PM
    Thanks financialbliss,
    It did ask for main account though which is 123 so that's why I didn't put everyday saver in that box. I am thinking it might ask later is it main account I want to switch or another. I suppose the only way I'll find out is by completing it.
    • financialbliss
    • By financialbliss 7th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 1,871 Posts
    • 8,358 Thanks
    financialbliss
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:48 PM
    It will switch the account you supply. Ignoring these forums, the vast majority of people have just one current account - it's just the normal wording that banks use.
    Mortgage and debt free. Building up savings...
    • gele
    • By gele 7th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 117 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    gele
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:52 PM
    Ok Financialbliss, I will change the account to everyday saver and hope that's ok. I have a grand total of 500 in there and no direct debits so I will look like a great catch won't I
    • Zanderman
    • By Zanderman 7th Apr 18, 11:25 PM
    • 1,771 Posts
    • 4,411 Thanks
    Zanderman
    • 7th Apr 18, 11:25 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 11:25 PM
    I'm not sure what this 'everyday saver' account you mention is - but the term is usually a savings account - which is not a valid account for a current account switch. But perhaps your 'everyday saver' account is a current account?
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 8th Apr 18, 2:46 AM
    • 325 Posts
    • 48 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Everyday saver is not a current account. Santander will reject the switch, and first direct will contact you to tell you this. Been there, done that.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 8th Apr 18, 4:01 AM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Do you perhaps mean the Everyday Current Account?
    • gele
    • By gele 8th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 117 Posts
    • 51 Thanks
    gele
    Sorry I do mean the everyday current account. I opened it with the intention of switching it to First Direct. I chose First Direct Because of the 5% regular saver and the fact that it doesn't require direct debits. Their system kicked me out while I was deliberating on how to fill the application in [see 1st post] so, once I feel sure, I'll try again later today
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 8th Apr 18, 11:08 AM
    • 120 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    stehouk
    I was declined this one, got the dreaded "you have not met our criteria" i tried to switch a 2 week old donor tesco account and as it wasn't my main account ie:wages paid into etc and questions were along the lines of how will i fund the account and with how much, but i had 10 hard searches that mth and opened and closed 8 accounts, new credit cards and current account switches etc so maybe it had something to do with that.

I have gone cold turkey for 6mths, i am addicted to getting the next deal/offer even though i don't need it, i want it, my score has dipped 200pts because of all the activity, i know it doesn't mean anything but it is a guide to how i am viewed.
    Last edited by stehouk; 08-04-2018 at 11:21 AM.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 8th Apr 18, 12:06 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    18cc
    I wouldn't be too upset about it First Direct and HSBC are known for having very strict criteria that does not mean to say you are in any way less worthy it is just that these two banks seem to have unfathomable but strict criteria for accepting new customers
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 8th Apr 18, 12:08 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    18cc
    You do not say which credit agency the searches were done on but 200 seems very low to me and would as far as I know be unconnected with searches it sounds like default payments to me to get that low
    • stehouk
    • By stehouk 8th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 120 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    stehouk
    You do not say which credit agency the searches were done on but 200 seems very low to me and would as far as I know be unconnected with searches it sounds like default payments to me to get that low
    Originally posted by 18cc
    Experian, i was on 993 now down to 708, i have no defaults, no debt, iv'e payed cash for everything in the last few years, i pay off credit cards in full max 400 on each per mth, i only have cards in order to have a record of repayments, i think mine is a case of too little credit/record of repayments, i have recently moved some utilities to my account as they were all in my wifes name and she has little in the way of earnings but was able to open any accounts she wanted.
    • 18cc
    • By 18cc 8th Apr 18, 2:59 PM
    • 690 Posts
    • 462 Thanks
    18cc
    Sorry I misread your post I thought you meant your score was down to 200 not by 200!
    • pmatt
    • By pmatt 11th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 54 Posts
    • 28 Thanks
    pmatt
    I just applied for a First Direct account. At the end of the process I got a screen saying they'd get back to me in five working days. Do they ever do instant acceptances? Or is this their way of saying "no thanks"?
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 11th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    • 2,537 Posts
    • 2,491 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I just applied for a First Direct account. At the end of the process I got a screen saying they'd get back to me in five working days. Do they ever do instant acceptances? Or is this their way of saying "no thanks"?
    Originally posted by pmatt
    Yes, they do offer instant acceptances, but it doesn't necessarily mean that they will reject you either.
    • Emily Joy
    • By Emily Joy 11th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 154 Posts
    • 67 Thanks
    Emily Joy
    Originally posted by pmatt
    I was accepted after a couple of weeks of negotiations over the phone.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,489Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin