Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Revoraman
    • By Revoraman 6th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    • 22Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Revoraman
    Is It Mandatory That A Gas Meter........?
    • 6th Apr 18, 9:45 PM
    Is It Mandatory That A Gas Meter........? 6th Apr 18 at 9:45 PM
    I am thinking of switching to Ovo Energy or another as soon as I get some answers that I am seeking but are not so forthcoming.

As I use no gas at the moment, but want to get rid of nPower once and for all, seeing they are making a nice fat earner on Standing Charges, I want their gas supply terminated. But are they correct in stating that they must remove a gas meter to terminate a gas energy supply? As far as I can see, a gas meter is not a stop-!!!! to cut off an energy provider's gas supply, so why are they insisting on the gas meter removal?

Can a gas supply not be terminated elsewhere, at source, the street, etc? Makes no logical sense to me if I do decide at a later date to get connected to a different gas energy provider.

Any correct answers in this Forum rather than hearsay and guesses?
Page 1
    • CashStrapped
    • By CashStrapped 6th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 1,293 Posts
    • 725 Thanks
    CashStrapped
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    You could just switch to a gas provider that has no standing charge.

Quick and easy...job done....
    • Joyful
    • By Joyful 6th Apr 18, 10:28 PM
    • 2,221 Posts
    • 1,151 Thanks
    Joyful
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:28 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:28 PM
    The only way to not pay a Standing charge is either with the removal of the meter or find a company that does not charge one. As long as you have a meter in situ the energy supplier gets charged.
    I am an employee of British Gas.The views expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily reflect the views of Centrica, its subsidiaries or affiliated companies.
    • macman
    • By macman 6th Apr 18, 10:35 PM
    • 41,996 Posts
    • 17,457 Thanks
    macman
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:35 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:35 PM
    Their overheads are the same whether you use the supply or not.
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 6th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 27,382 Posts
    • 13,400 Thanks
    Cardew
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:50 PM
    As I use no gas at the moment, but want to get rid of nPower once and for all, seeing they are making a nice fat earner on Standing Charges,
    Originally posted by Revoraman
    Does this help?

What is a standing charge for gas and electricity?

The standing charges on your energy bill cover the fixed costs of providing your home with both gas and electricity (each will have its own standing charge).
    These costs include the price of keeping your home connected to the energy network, carrying out meter readings, maintenance and other related charges.
    Part of your standing charge will also go towards the cost of government initiatives aimed at helping vulnerable homes and reducing carbon emissions.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 6th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    House Martin
    • 6th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 11:12 PM
    Ebico Zero were fine for me. No standing charges at all , saved me £15 a month on BG rates for an empty property using no electric or gas . Only credit meters are accepted by Ebico for this tariff.
    Last edited by House Martin; 06-04-2018 at 11:14 PM.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 7th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    • 2,944 Posts
    • 828 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 7th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    • 7th Apr 18, 10:48 AM
    when I had an electric supply removed, the meter was removed.

I guess they don't want you using it. or if a meter is provided it needs assigning to a supplier
    • Revoraman
    • By Revoraman 9th Apr 18, 12:09 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Revoraman
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:09 PM
    Why Are Emails Not Being Received?
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:09 PM
    Dear MSE Alketa Just as I fear that MSE Laura never gets to see any emailed replies from herein, I very much doubt you will also see this reply. How on earth Cheap Enegry Club expects a 'Reply above this line' ' when it is impossible to do, I have no idea?? I have had various answers to the same question I posted in the Forum. Thanks Rick
    • Revoraman
    • By Revoraman 9th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Revoraman
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    • 9th Apr 18, 12:32 PM
    Thank you members for your replies.

So, let me get this nailed spot-on. If I switch to a supplier that has no Standing Charges, then the existent Gas Meter can stay put even if I have no gas supply connected. Else, as poster Andy PK has suggested it has to be removed, although in his case it was an Electricity Meter, which in my view is a different 'kettle of fish' compared to a Gas Meter alone.
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 9th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    @revoraman

yes just switch to a provider that has no standing charges. Then every few months submit your meter reading (which will never change if you don't use any gas) and they will bill you zero pence.
    Simple.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 9th Apr 18, 2:00 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    House Martin

So, let me get this nailed spot-on. If I switch to a supplier that has no Standing Charges, then the existent Gas Meter can stay put even if I have no gas supply connected. Else, as poster Andy PK has suggested it has to be removed, although in his case it was an Electricity Meter, which in my view is a different 'kettle of fish' compared to a Gas Meter alone.
    Gas meter remains in situ with Ebico Zero. There is nothing stopping you using gas but its at a high tariff, over 5 p /kwhr in my area S.Yorks. The supplier may want to check the meter reading occasionally even if you do not use any gas
    Someone who has just a gas hob with no gas central heating would benefit by a no standing charge tariff even if its set at a high 5 p/kwh
    Last edited by House Martin; 09-04-2018 at 2:02 PM.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 9th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    wavelets
    Gas meter remains in situ with Ebico Zero. There is nothing stopping you using gas but its at a high tariff, over 5 p /kwhr in my area S.Yorks. The supplier may want to check the meter reading occasionally even if you do not use any gas
    Someone who has just a gas hob with no gas central heating would benefit by a no standing charge tariff even if its set at a high 5 p/kwh
    Originally posted by House Martin
    If you don't use any gas, then of course it doesn't matter what unit charge applies.

But if you are going to use a small amount of gas, it does make sense to take the zero standing charge tariff with the lowest unit charge

There are alternatives to Ebico, and they charge less than 5p/kWh
    Depending on supply region, there is one supplier that charges as little as 3.3p/kWh (but there is a tiny standing charge of 0.4ppd i.e. £1.50 p.a)

Best solution is to consult a good comparison site
    Depending on anticipated consumption (i.e. >0), then a zero standing charge tariff may not be the best solution.
    • wavelets
    • By wavelets 9th Apr 18, 2:56 PM
    • 206 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    wavelets

If I switch to a supplier that has no Standing Charges, you will still have gas connected.

Whether or not you elect to use it is up to you
    • Revoraman
    • By Revoraman 10th Apr 18, 8:35 AM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Revoraman
    @gsmlnx, House Martin, wavelets

Thank you very much for those elucidating posts. Now I know which way to go forward..................now, if only solarplicity.com were as responsive as the advertising blurb they put out, that indeed would be helpful. Over 15 days and counting their so-called 'We will be in touch in 5 working days.....' nonsense!

Guess, I will switch to Ovo Energy who members here have commented favourably on.
    • Revoraman
    • By Revoraman 30th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Revoraman
    Spoken to OVO Energy and Bulb Energy
    Just spoken to Bulb Energy as recommended in a flyer email received from the CheapEnergyClub, but they charge Standing Charges for both a Gas Meter and an Electricity Meter, which I think and others do too, in this day and age is not only diabolical, but a rip-off considering that the Meters are on one's own property and not the Energy Supplier's!

Same story with Ovo Energy.

So, to cut short, other than the useless solarciityplus who bear out the MSE scores displayed today's email for abysmal customer services, does anyone know of an Energy Supplier/Provider who does not have Standing Charges?
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 30th Apr 18, 4:09 PM
    • 6,037 Posts
    • 3,716 Thanks
    Hengus
    Just spoken to Bulb Energy as recommended in a flyer email received from the CheapEnergyClub, but they charge Standing Charges for both a Gas Meter and an Electricity Meter, which I think and others do too, in this day and age is not only diabolical, but a rip-off considering that the Meters are on one's own property and not the Energy Supplier's!

Same story with Ovo Energy.

So, to cut short, other than the useless solarciityplus who bear out the MSE scores displayed today's email for abysmal customer services, does anyone know of an Energy Supplier/Provider who does not have Standing Charges?
    Yes - Ebico has a no standing charge tariff. Paying standing charges isn’t a ‘rip off’: the cost getting electricity and gas to a property has to be paid for in some way. The meter may well be on your property but there is a requirement for a safety check which is the supplier’s responsibility.
    • Revoraman
    • By Revoraman 2nd May 18, 6:34 PM
    • 22 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Revoraman
    Thanks
    @Hengus Thanks for the reply and heads-up on Ebico. It is not just me that has a beef about Standing Charges. I have seen the abhorrence towards them on other Forums too, and heard on radio too. Energy Companies, IMHO, already charge energy customers far above what it costs to deliver energy otherwise the Ofgen Regulator would not be needed. So, they do not have to 'fleece' customers with Standing Charges.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 2nd May 18, 8:41 PM
    • 1,429 Posts
    • 1,189 Thanks
    House Martin
    @Hengus Thanks for the reply and heads-up on Ebico. It is not just me that has a beef about Standing Charges. I have seen the abhorrence towards them on other Forums too, and heard on radio too. Energy Companies, IMHO, already charge energy customers far above what it costs to deliver energy otherwise the Ofgen Regulator would not be needed. So, they do not have to 'fleece' customers with Standing Charges.
    Suppliers are definitely not fleecing anyone. They pass the standing charges on to either the local DNO s or the National Grid for upkeep on gas supply pipes to the properties. Nat Grid spend millions repairing old gas pipes.
    Every winter there are gas leaks with old cast iron pipes needing to be replaced and that is not a cheap operation
    • gsmlnx
    • By gsmlnx 2nd May 18, 9:59 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 719 Thanks
    gsmlnx
    They pass the standing charges on to either the local DNO s or the National Grid for upkeep on gas supply pipes to the properties.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Suppliers have to pay certain amount of money based on the number of customers they have BUT they do not pass on all the money collected that they claim to be standing charges.
    That is self evident by the wide range of prices for standing charges. I've been quoted anywhere 10p to 50p per day per fuel.
    If it was simple amount to be paid in full to the DNO/Grid, it will be identical across suppliers.
    • Anthorn
    • By Anthorn 3rd May 18, 9:27 AM
    • 3,705 Posts
    • 953 Thanks
    Anthorn
    I am thinking of switching to Ovo Energy or another as soon as I get some answers that I am seeking but are not so forthcoming.

As I use no gas at the moment, but want to get rid of nPower once and for all, seeing they are making a nice fat earner on Standing Charges, I want their gas supply terminated. But are they correct in stating that they must remove a gas meter to terminate a gas energy supply? As far as I can see, a gas meter is not a stop-!!!! to cut off an energy provider's gas supply, so why are they insisting on the gas meter removal?

Can a gas supply not be terminated elsewhere, at source, the street, etc? Makes no logical sense to me if I do decide at a later date to get connected to a different gas energy provider.

Any correct answers in this Forum rather than hearsay and guesses?
    You are not using gas at the moment but still have to pay the standing charge because you have a supply to your property which has to be maintained. So have the gas meter removed and the gas supply capped so ergo no standing charge. If you want gas sometime in the future then the chosen supplier will have to fit a meter.

Be sure to check whether a charge will be payable to cut off the gas supply. Also consider that if you have the supply reinstated there could be a deposit payable or a prepay meter installed because you will have no history of gas energy use, depending on the state of your credit history.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

648Posts Today

7,432Users online

Martin's Twitter