Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Cocktail74
    • By Cocktail74 6th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    • 9Posts
    • 0Thanks
    Cocktail74
    Local Authority caused damage to my property
    • 6th Apr 18, 9:35 PM
    Local Authority caused damage to my property 6th Apr 18 at 9:35 PM
    I own an end of terraced property at the end of a row of council houses. The council have commissioned work on the properties next to mine and are replacing roofs within the area.

They have erected scaffolding in order to do this work, the end of the scaffolding is about 1 meter within my boundary and has been put on top of my porch roof.

I noticed the other morning that there appears to be a leak in my hallway. Directly below the end support of the scaffolding.

I have contacted the council and awaiting a response.

What else can I do?
Page 2
    • Furts
    • By Furts 11th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 2,651 Thanks
    Furts
    Had a call back from the site manager this morning (7:50am!!), very apologetic and seems he may have had a telling of from the council. He said that they had forwarded my original email with the photographs and he confirmed that the scaffolding should not have been placed where it was. He didnt really have an answer as to what could be done now to fix any further damage but he reassured me that once the work had been completed and the scaffolding removed any damage would be rectified. This I am happy about, my concern is further damage at the moment.

Yes, when i looked back at the picture I seen this also. Will be looking at improvements to the external render over the next 12months .
    Originally posted by Cocktail74
    What this is telling you is the Site Manager is an incompetent, half wit. Having no answer means this person is not fit for purpose!

It would be easy to say this is being extreme but consider this ... accepting that the Site Manager has no intention of moving the scaffold until the work has been completed (because the completion of works is all that they really care about) it would be child's play to put a temporary covering to keep water off the porch roofs. Even a Monaflex tarpaulin pinched of a nearby stack of bricks would do the job! Which raises the question - why is the Site Manger not bothered, or motivated, to do this? The answer is they are an incompetent, half wit. Which is back to square one!
    • Cheeky_Monkey
    • By Cheeky_Monkey 12th Apr 18, 1:21 PM
    • 1,627 Posts
    • 3,339 Thanks
    Cheeky_Monkey
    he reassured me that once the work had been completed and the scaffolding removed any damage would be rectified.
    Originally posted by Cocktail74
    Call me cynical/untrusting or whatever but I would want him to give me that assurance in writing!

Also, did you ask him how long the work is likely to take?
    I used to be indecisive - now I'm not so sure
    • Furts
    • By Furts 12th Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 4,118 Posts
    • 2,651 Thanks
    Furts
    Call me cynical/untrusting or whatever but I would want him to give me that assurance in writing!

Also, did you ask him how long the work is likely to take?
    Originally posted by Cheeky_Monkey
    Same here. The Site Manager is fobbing off OP from the sound of things, which is why my terminology of this person was derogatory.

But ultimately if things are not speedily resolved at least OP has this forum record to refer the council to.

I am amazed the council is not threatening the Site Manager with disciplinary action. I appreciate this individual will be an employee of a contractor, but there are always means for a council to influence matters.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

879Posts Today

6,595Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Today's twitter poll: have you ever seen a ghost?

• RT @JohnnyMercerUK: Another important day ahead in achieving parity of esteem between mental and physical health: the breathing space schem?

• RT @mmhpi: Third time lucky? After being delayed twice, tomorrow MPs are due to debate our #RecoverySpace proposals in parliament. @helen_u?

• Follow Martin