Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Smb3088
    • By Smb3088 6th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    • 252Posts
    • 26Thanks
    Smb3088
    Changing reverse bulb
    • 6th Apr 18, 8:42 PM
    Changing reverse bulb 6th Apr 18 at 8:42 PM
    My reverse bulb needs replaced in my Renault twingo 2016 model. How hard is it to replace myself? As fittings only £5, but if itís a matter of a few screws and simple thereís no excuse but to do it myself. Just thought Iíd ask before tampering.
Page 1
    • TadleyBaggie
    • By TadleyBaggie 6th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 2,716 Posts
    • 2,058 Thanks
    TadleyBaggie
    • 6th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    No direct experience of that model but it's unlikely to be hard as this is supposed to be a user replaceable part that could be changed at the side of the road.

Found this guide online: http://gb.e-guide.renault.com/eng/Twingo/REAR-AND-SIDE-LIGHTS-changing-bulbs
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 18,372 Posts
    • 12,543 Thanks
    molerat
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:32 PM
    Usually the hardest part is getting enough purchase to turn the overtightened retaining screw with only your fingertips
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk/donations.html
    • loskie
    • By loskie 7th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    • 1,251 Posts
    • 751 Thanks
    loskie
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    • 7th Apr 18, 7:45 AM
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8FsidM7fxQ
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 7th Apr 18, 9:11 AM
    • 17,204 Posts
    • 15,514 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:11 AM
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:11 AM
    ...but it's unlikely to be hard as this is supposed to be a user replaceable part that could be changed at the side of the road.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie
    <wipes tear of laughter>
    Thank you for starting my day off so well. That's hilarious.
    • wongataa
    • By wongataa 7th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 1,287 Posts
    • 741 Thanks
    wongataa
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:18 AM
    My reverse bulb needs replaced in my Renault twingo 2016 model. How hard is it to replace myself? As fittings only £5, but if itís a matter of a few screws and simple thereís no excuse but to do it myself. Just thought Iíd ask before tampering.
    Originally posted by Smb3088
    Are there not instructions in your owners manual?
    • facade
    • By facade 7th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 3,096 Posts
    • 1,611 Thanks
    facade
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    • 7th Apr 18, 9:59 AM
    No direct experience of that model but it's unlikely to be hard as this is supposed to be a user replaceable part that could be changed at the side of the road.
    Originally posted by TadleyBaggie

<wipes tear of laughter>
    Thank you for starting my day off so well. That's hilarious.
    Originally posted by AdrianC
    They are, if you are carrying the right tools

My Renault Nee-San requires a 10mm AF socket and extension for the tail lights, and that you carry a £7 gasket from Nee-
    San if you want to change the High Level Nuisance light.
    I believe the bumper comes off to change the rear blinding light (phillips screws and that 10mm socket), but I've never used it, I assume it gets tested every MOT.
    I want to go back to The Olden Days, when every single thing that I can think of was better.....

(except air quality and Medical Science )
    • heathfieldmotors
    • By heathfieldmotors 12th Apr 18, 8:20 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    heathfieldmotors
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:20 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:20 AM
    Reverse lights are an important safety feature on modern vehicles. They exist at the back of your car, and light up when you put your transmission in reverse. Replacing a bulb is pretty simple once you know how.
    1. Remove the lens cover screws with a screwdriver and lift off the lens cover.
    2. Gently turn the broken bulb in order to extract it from its socket.
    3. Remove the interior panel in the vehicle's trunk.
    4. Acquire the appropriate replacement bulb from a local auto parts retailer
    5. Check the socket for the presence of corrosion
    6. Install the replacement bulb by screwing it firmly into the proper socket.
    7. Replace the lens cover or access panel as required.
    8. Test and ensure that all vehicle lights are working prior to operating the vehicle.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    • 17,204 Posts
    • 15,514 Thanks
    AdrianC
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:42 AM
    Reverse lights are an important safety feature on modern vehicles. They exist at the back of your car, and light up when you put your transmission in reverse.
    Originally posted by heathfieldmotors
    Well, thank you for that sparkling insight.
    • nomoneytoday
    • By nomoneytoday 12th Apr 18, 12:57 PM
    • 4,745 Posts
    • 2,875 Thanks
    nomoneytoday
    If it's £5, then why not pay it this time, watch what they do and learn for next time?
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 12th Apr 18, 1:30 PM
    • 811 Posts
    • 342 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    OP, as above (#10) is best advice you can get. I have a fiesta, and I can easily change any of the bulbs at the back, and one of the headlights - mechanic showed me. However, one of the headlights needs about 7 screws removing, jimmy this up, push this down, move that over, completely remove headlamp, change bulb, then reverse. Each car is different, so you can comfortably ignore post #8.
    • lofielectronic
    • By lofielectronic 12th Apr 18, 1:41 PM
    • 630 Posts
    • 292 Thanks
    lofielectronic
    If you've looked at it and can't figure it out and its only a fiver as above.

Used to be all cars were quite straightforward now some of them are like a round of the Krypton Factor just to get access.

Each car is different, so you can comfortably ignore post #8.
    Originally posted by Bigphil1474
    Looking at the posts from that account its like its an automated account copying something from Wikipedia for each post its made. Odd.
    • AdrianC
    • By AdrianC 12th Apr 18, 1:47 PM
    • 17,204 Posts
    • 15,514 Thanks
    AdrianC
    Looking at the posts from that account its like its an automated account copying something from Wikipedia for each post its made. Odd.
    Originally posted by lofielectronic
    Right up until it's made enough posts to be allowed to post links...
    • mollycat
    • By mollycat 12th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 1,035 Posts
    • 2,053 Thanks
    mollycat
    Reverse lights are an important safety feature on modern vehicles. They exist at the back of your car, and light up when you put your transmission in reverse. Replacing a bulb is pretty simple once you know how.
    1. Remove the lens cover screws with a screwdriver and lift off the lens cover.
    2. Gently turn the broken bulb in order to extract it from its socket.
    3. Remove the interior panel in the vehicle's trunk.
    4. Acquire the appropriate replacement bulb from a local auto parts retailer
    5. Check the socket for the presence of corrosion
    6. Install the replacement bulb by screwing it firmly into the proper socket.
    7. Replace the lens cover or access panel as required.
    8. Test and ensure that all vehicle lights are working prior to operating the vehicle.
    Originally posted by heathfieldmotors
    9. Drive home and begin preparing some tasty SPAM for MSE users to enjoy in the near future.
    • Robby1988
    • By Robby1988 13th Apr 18, 12:15 PM
    • 40 Posts
    • 14 Thanks
    Robby1988
    Unfortunately modern cars are rarely designed with DIY in mind. Changing a bulb is always in the manual and doable but the task is often made fiddly & awkward to the point where you might think !!!8220;blow it!!!8221; and go down to your local dealer and pay for the service, which is of course exactly what they want.

Using torx screws rather than regular square/cross ended ones is a good little trick manufacturers use to make life difficult.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 13th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 5,891 Posts
    • 2,693 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Has anyone walked into a dealership, asked the salesman about the car then asked for a demo on how to change the bulbs? I'd love to know the outcome!

Bet they never get asked that.
    • datostar
    • By datostar 13th Apr 18, 3:41 PM
    • 1,045 Posts
    • 629 Thanks
    datostar
    If Renault are consistent across the range there might be a little flap each side of the boot area giving access to the back of the rear light clusters. Bulb holders are a push fit and can be pulled out to replace to easily replace the bulbs.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,769Posts Today

8,800Users online

Martin's Twitter