Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • scoey8
    • By scoey8 6th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    • 25Posts
    • 5Thanks
    scoey8
    Not charged for Gas
    • 6th Apr 18, 12:14 PM
    Not charged for Gas 6th Apr 18 at 12:14 PM
    Hi all, asking for some advice on behalf of a family member.
    She moved into a council flat 6 years ago and basically has never paid for her gas.
    It is a pre paid meter setup, the meter is turning (quite fast) but the screen is blank.
    She has been given annual safety inspections by the council but nothing has been said and also received a twice yearly rebate from British gas!
    I asked why she has never mentioned it and she said after she left it for a year she was scared of getting a massive bill, silly really as she now probably faces a much much bigger one. But anyway that is the situation at present.
    Does anyone know what is going on and why she isn't having to top up the meter? Also what is she likely to have to repay, from looking online it seems they can charge back 6 years?

Thanks for reading.
Page 3
    • scoey8
    • By scoey8 7th Apr 18, 7:19 AM
    • 25 Posts
    • 5 Thanks
    scoey8
    Joyful, sorry I didn't mean a rebate i was just referring to the 15 winter voucher they send out.

House Martin, thanks for the explanation. Seems British gas are not very pro active with this sort of thing. As I say no mention of a meter reading in 6 years.

Indian summer, thanks. However in this case the block is a grade 2 listed Victorian property.
    • Robin9
    • By Robin9 7th Apr 18, 9:29 AM
    • 3,081 Posts
    • 2,021 Thanks
    Robin9
    It appears this was done because information was received from the supplier stating that there was no activity on the meter.
    Originally posted by suzainkartic
    Sorry Suz I don't understand what point you are making.
    Never pay on an estimated bill
    • SwanJon
    • By SwanJon 9th Apr 18, 4:59 PM
    • 2,393 Posts
    • 940 Thanks
    SwanJon
    Thanks for the advice. The payment meter does have a digital display which is blank (but also an analogue bit which i turning quite fast) , therefore from what you say they have no way of telling how many units are used? would they not make an estimate ? Although i agree with you that British Gas could have done more in checking meters, sending statements etc.
    Originally posted by scoey8

This suggests to me that there will be a read that the supplier can use to create a bill.
    Make a note of these numbers, then again on a regular basis to help estimate how much this could be.
    Legal starting point is the gas has been used and should be paid for, it's down to negotiation how much will actually be paid for,
    As above, once BG catch up, their choice will be to change the meter and put the debt on the meter to be recovered - at no more than 16/week.

Once a bill has been established it might be worth looking at the British Gas Energy Trust to see if they can help clear the debt - other suppliers do similar things - https://www.lets-talk.online/AllSchemes.html .

At the moment that gas is being paid for by everyone else, including other people who are now in the same boat as your family member was six years ago.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

14Posts Today

3,595Users online

Martin's Twitter