Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Evesman
    • By Evesman 6th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    • 2Posts
    • 3Thanks
    Evesman
    0 WOW
    Avoid expensive holiday rental 'add on' charges
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:56 AM
    0 WOW
    Avoid expensive holiday rental 'add on' charges 6th Apr 18 at 10:56 AM
    Hi,

Have you ever noticed those 'additional charges' that are added by holiday web sites? (including the most popular ones)? Sometimes it's not that obvious until you have paid.

I own a self catering holiday home in the UK and certain sites add up to 250 PER WEEK! on to our rates.

Well, here's a tip.....

Once you have found the property that you want to book, try searching the likes of Google etc to see if the owner of the property has their own web site and then contact the owner directly.

If that doesn't work, look at the map included in the original web site and search Google maps to see if they appear on there.

This hasn't always been the case, I used to pay an annual subscription of c500 and my direct number was displayed, but they have stopped this method and instead allow 'free to list'add circa 15% to my prices and then award a 'Certificate of Excellence' for the privilege.

In addition, the web site company holds on to your money until the day after you arrive, apparently 'for your protection' but I've never seen any evidence of where your money is held until it is released.

This is common practice by the largest companies, be aware.

Be savvy & search direct to book.

Hope this is useful.

Good luck.
Page 1
    • MandM90
    • By MandM90 10th Apr 18, 3:56 PM
    • 1,511 Posts
    • 8,069 Thanks
    MandM90
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:56 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 3:56 PM
    Hi, we move threads if we think they'll get more help elsewhere (please read the forum rule) so this post/thread has been moved to another board. If you have any questions about this policy please email forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Marriages & Family,
    Old Style, Mortgage Free Wannabe, Green & Ethical
    boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge threads there. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Board guides are not moderators. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 10th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 3,620 Posts
    • 2,287 Thanks
    jpsartre
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    Hi,
    Have you ever noticed those 'additional charges' that are added by holiday web sites? (including the most popular ones)? Sometimes it's not that obvious until you have paid.
    Originally posted by Evesman
    No, never. Use better sites would be my advice.
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 10th Apr 18, 4:25 PM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,672 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:25 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:25 PM
    Do you accept credit cards?
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 10th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 2,922 Posts
    • 1,830 Thanks
    bagand96
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    I've recently booked accommodation in the US. Found places on Booking.com and Airbnb. Also managed to find the rental company's own website and saved myself 20% by booking directly. I assume that 20% is around about the commission they have to pay to Airbnb/booking hence why it's cheaper direct.

That said, dealing directly with an owner can have risks. The vast majority of property owners are of course honest and very professional. But there are the small minority who are not, or even worse there are out and out scammers. So you do need to do your own research and make an educated choice. Staying with a big branded websites gives you some added security. However you can save by going direct IF you do your research and its reputable.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 11th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    benjus
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    I always look around for alternative ways to book when I've found somewhere I like on a major website. Couple of examples:
    • Hotel in Santorini that I found on booking.com has their own website that has takes bookings via a Greek booking website (which I've seen used from several Greek hotel sites). Using a fee-free credit card it was substantially cheaper than booking.com (can't remember how much cheaper though).
    • Place we stayed at in Crete last year (little taverna with rooms in the middle of nowhere on the south coast) advertises their rooms via AirBnB - but we just booked by contacting them on their Facebook page, they didn't ask for a deposit and we paid in cash when we checked out.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • budgetflyer
    • By budgetflyer 11th Apr 18, 5:52 PM
    • 5,754 Posts
    • 3,700 Thanks
    budgetflyer
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:52 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 5:52 PM
    Why you think the likes of booking.com etc should put your property in front of millions of potential customers but not make any money on it is beyond my understanding.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 12th Apr 18, 9:14 AM
    • 5,243 Posts
    • 3,231 Thanks
    benjus
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:14 AM
    • 12th Apr 18, 9:14 AM
    I don't know why some people are so quick to rubbish this post. I think it's good advice - the likes of booking.com, AirBnB, OwnersDirect etc are great for finding holiday accommodation, but if you can book it more cheaply elsewhere then why not? Seems like good moneysaving advice to me. Judging by some of the posts you read, the protection offered by some of the big websites may not be worth much anyway.

Of course, you need to be careful when going to unknown websites, so if you're not a savvy internet user you might be better off staying with the big players. But to go back to my examples above, I don't think there's much additional risk booking by credit card via the hotel reservation site linked from the hotel's own website compared with using booking.com. On the other hand, if they ask for payment by bank transfer tread very carefully. I have paid for holiday accommodation by bank transfer in the past after doing some due diligence, and I probably would in the future, but you need to be very careful. If in any doubt, stick to credit card payments only.
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • mchale
    • By mchale 12th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,747 Posts
    • 965 Thanks
    mchale
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    • 12th Apr 18, 8:53 PM
    Hi,

I own a self catering holiday home in the UK and certain sites add up to 250 PER WEEK! on to our rates.

Well, here's a tip.....

Once you have found the property that you want to book, try searching the likes of Google etc to see if the owner of the property has their own web site and then contact the owner directly.

If that doesn't work, look at the map included in the original web site and search Google maps to see if they appear on there.

This hasn't always been the case, I used to pay an annual subscription of c500 and my direct number was displayed, but they have stopped this method and instead allow 'free to list'add circa 15% to my prices and then award a 'Certificate of Excellence' for the privilege.

In addition, the web site company holds on to your money until the day after you arrive, apparently 'for your protection' but I've never seen any evidence of where your money is held until it is released.

This is common practice by the largest companies, be aware.

Be savvy & search direct to book.

Hope this is useful.

Good luck.
    Originally posted by Evesman

Try advertising your property here: https://www.simplyowners.net/

lots of info for owners here: https://www.laymyhat.com/forum/
    ANURADHA KOIRALA ??? go on throw it in google.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,265Posts Today

7,108Users online

Martin's Twitter