Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Megan F
    • By MSE Megan F 6th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    • 357Posts
    • 173Thanks
    MSE Megan F
    MSE News: Plusnet to increase broadband prices
    • 6th Apr 18, 10:18 AM
    MSE News: Plusnet to increase broadband prices 6th Apr 18 at 10:18 AM
    Plusnet has warned some customers it's raising broadband prices by £12 a year in June - and call costs will be going up too...
    Read the full story:
    'Plusnet to increase broadband prices'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free Martin's Money Tips E-mail
Page 1
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 6th Apr 18, 11:38 AM
    • 958 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    NittyGritty
    • 6th Apr 18, 11:38 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 11:38 AM
    hi I, with plusnet, paid my line rental upfront for the year (line rental saver)

I currently have free broadband, but live chat on plusnet just said "it will add £1 to the cost of your broadband each month. Where broadband is free for the period of the contact. you would then be paying £1 per month"

my question is can I leave penalty free?

and also do I get a refund on the months unused line rental saver? if I switch elsewhere?

as I cant see anything about a refund in the terms, yet I,m sure I saw something similer with BT when they had to refund line rental saver if someone left due to price rise

UPDATE 11.40AM.....

just had a further chat with plusnet and they have confirmed I will get a full refund on the remaining months unsed, I should get a letter on the 9th of april about the price increases and have 30 days from then to switch free of charge, should I wish too
    looks like its quidco or topcashback it is then
    Last edited by NittyGritty; 06-04-2018 at 11:50 AM.
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 6th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    • 3,155 Posts
    • 1,670 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 6th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    Yes, you may leave penalty free if you inform them, by phone, that you are leaving bcause of the price increase. I think you usually have to tell them within 30 days after receiving the notifiction. It's in the MSE article too.
    Although PN do state that LRS is not refundable in the ts and cs, I'm fairly sure they have to because of an OFCOM ruling and they have done if pushed. Not 100% sure about that OFCOM thing though.
    Last edited by oldagetraveller; 06-04-2018 at 11:53 AM.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 6th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 958 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    NittyGritty
    • 6th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    yeah you get LRS refunded also just been confirmed by live chat so that's a plus
    • brewerdave
    • By brewerdave 6th Apr 18, 11:54 AM
    • 5,106 Posts
    • 2,250 Thanks
    brewerdave
    Refund of line rental saver because of a broadband price increase? Is this because you can't have PN phone without b/band ?
    • oldagetraveller
    • By oldagetraveller 6th Apr 18, 11:58 AM
    • 3,155 Posts
    • 1,670 Thanks
    oldagetraveller
    • 6th Apr 18, 11:58 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 11:58 AM
    yeah you get LRS refunded also just been confirmed by live chat so that's a plus
    Originally posted by NittyGritty
    Thanks for confirming. I will be reviewing my options when I receive the e-mail. I've been with them for years, Madasafish included, but they have seriously gone downhill with their chase to the bottom in competition with TalkTalk.
    Did you hear about the politician who had a backside transplant? It rejected him.
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 6th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    NittyGritty
    • 6th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    Refund of line rental saver because of a broadband price increase? Is this because you can't have PN phone without b/band ?
    Originally posted by brewerdave

its part of the package, you have the right to cancel if they raise prices, as such I get my line rental back (remaining months unused)

I paid upfront (line rental saver) when I bought my broadband deal (even tho it was broadband was free at time) but they raising it by a £1 which gives me option to leave free of charge

so I,m looking to switch elsewhere and use topcashback or quidco to cash in
    Last edited by NittyGritty; 06-04-2018 at 12:34 PM.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 6th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    pearl123
    • 6th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 12:39 PM
    i've always found plusnet good. However, if the is a cheaper and as good service elsewhere - why pay more.
    • NittyGritty
    • By NittyGritty 6th Apr 18, 2:37 PM
    • 958 Posts
    • 295 Thanks
    NittyGritty
    • 6th Apr 18, 2:37 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 2:37 PM
    unless your isp offers you a good retention deal when your contract is up/price hikes comes along

its nearly ALWAYS cheaper (when you factor in cashback) to just switch and get cashback with quidco or topcashback and move to another isp

I do this nearly every year when my contract is up , or in this case when a price hike comes along

personally ive been with plusnet on n off for years, in between sky, I wouldn't touch Talktalk from personal experience
    • molerat
    • By molerat 6th Apr 18, 3:34 PM
    • 19,322 Posts
    • 13,528 Thanks
    molerat
    Plusnet have price matched the cheapest offer including cashback every year for me.
    https://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/give-support/donate-now/
    • Danger Fourpence
    • By Danger Fourpence 6th Apr 18, 4:03 PM
    • 331 Posts
    • 79 Thanks
    Danger Fourpence
    First price rise in the 5 years I've been with them for Fibre only. Service has been solid, CS decent enough. Line has got faster over time too.

In all honesty I don't begrudge it going up a quid a month.
    • hollie.weimeraner
    • By hollie.weimeraner 6th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    • 1,624 Posts
    • 1,128 Thanks
    hollie.weimeraner
    Plusnet have price matched the cheapest offer including cashback every year for me.
    Originally posted by molerat
    I rang them last night, (6 months left on my contract) and now pay £29 per month for 38mb broadband, line rental and unlimited calls to uk landlines and mobile phones. They effectively matched the bt offer taking into account £150 cashback that BT were offering yesterday.
    I had been paying £34.99 as that was the best I could get this time last year.

The guy I spoke to stated he couldn't give me the cashback but was happy to knock the £150 off the monthly charge over 18 months for broadband which is effectively the same.
    3.975 KW Solar PV. 15 Canadian Black 265w panels with Sunny Boy 3600tl Inverter. SSE facing with 30 degree pitch. In occasionally sunny Sheffield.
    Toyota Auris Hybrid Tourer
    Toyota Yaris Hybrid
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 6th Apr 18, 4:29 PM
    • 9,120 Posts
    • 5,434 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Last year they matched my current offer, though up front rental was up £12, but I was told they couldn't offer the cashback they paid before, giving free caller display instead, but someone after me did get the equivalent of the £40 or £50.

Last year,when there was a price increase, my free broadband stayed the same (or maybe the increase then was for line,which was pre-paid).

However, when there was anything free from Sky it stayed free after an increase.

I think you could argue your case for this, as someone told that a normally £10 item will cost them £5 should understand that it's a 50% reduction that is promised, so a £1 increase would mean paying £5.50.However, 'free' is a 100% discount so should stay free.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 6th Apr 18, 5:04 PM
    • 9,120 Posts
    • 5,434 Thanks
    teddysmum
    Reading details of the increases, it appears that caller display will decrease to free and people are invited to pre-book it so it's effective from the 'increase' date.

With other companies when there has been an increase you had a message giving the full price increase, but only actually paid your discounted percentage of the increase, so I wonder whether those with free ADSL will get a letter stating a £1 increase, but will not be charged it. call centre people do not always give the correct information.
    Last edited by teddysmum; 06-04-2018 at 5:15 PM.
    • Mister G
    • By Mister G 6th Apr 18, 5:15 PM
    • 711 Posts
    • 414 Thanks
    Mister G
    After 1st October, ISPs will not be able to charge for Caller Display.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7826-ofcom-moves-to-ban-charging-for-caller-display-options-in-2018
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 6th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 9,120 Posts
    • 5,434 Thanks
    teddysmum
    After 1st October, ISPs will not be able to charge for Caller Display.

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7826-ofcom-moves-to-ban-charging-for-caller-display-options-in-2018
    Originally posted by Mister G
    So they aren't being generous. What a surprise.
    • eschaton
    • By eschaton 6th Apr 18, 6:39 PM
    • 1,796 Posts
    • 1,584 Thanks
    eschaton
    I pay for caller display so my bill should only go up by 1p.

Only 8 months into an 18 month contract paying £6.99 for 38mb fibre + caller display with LRS for first 12 months. I also got £70 TCB. Unless I see a good deal elsewhere with cash back then I'll probably stay.
    • pearl123
    • By pearl123 8th Apr 18, 1:38 PM
    • 1,440 Posts
    • 2,121 Thanks
    pearl123
    I!!!8217;ve yet to ring plusnet to try and negotiate a reduction. Two other providers are slight cheaper at present than plusnet. First utility and post office. Does anyone rate either?
    • rusty_f
    • By rusty_f 9th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 108 Posts
    • 49 Thanks
    rusty_f
    Has everyone received their notification now, or do they do it in phases? I haven't received any notification yet - my service went live in January so I should be affected.
    • mije1983
    • By mije1983 9th Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 3,544 Posts
    • 20,274 Thanks
    mije1983
    Has everyone received their notification now, or do they do it in phases? I haven't received any notification yet - my service went live in January so I should be affected.
    Originally posted by rusty_f

I haven't yet, and I moved to them in December. It's normal for it to happen in stages. Just spend the time hunting out the best deal!

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

138Posts Today

1,153Users online

Martin's Twitter