Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • moneyangel22
    • By moneyangel22 6th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    • 330Posts
    • 349Thanks
    moneyangel22
    Any halp for disabled person needing new mattress and chair but no money?? :(
    • 6th Apr 18, 8:41 AM
    Any halp for disabled person needing new mattress and chair but no money?? :( 6th Apr 18 at 8:41 AM
    I am after some advice please...

Background: I have been suffering from a disability for the last 8 years which means I have been unable to work. I get PIP and CHB as we have 2 children. My Hubby has a good job but works all hours for all his money to go on our living expenses.

The problem is...I am in so much pain day to day and we need to buy a new mattress and a new chair/sofa so I can sit comfortably in the day time. Our mattress is 8 years old and sags making my pain worse so I don't sleep well. Our sofa is around 15 years old (don't laugh!) and not good for my posture so hurts me to sit on it.

As I said all of our money goes on bills and living costs...which just keep going up! we have no savings or anyone to loan us money etc.

Can anyone offer any helpful advice on how we can purchase a new mattress and at least a chair for me with limited funds please?

I have found my ideal sofa and mattress after trying loads in the shops I just need a way to get the funds somehow...for example...will HMRC help if I tell them i'm desperate (which I am!!) I don't believe there is any other disability I can claim as hubby earns a lot it all just goes on our mortgage and council tax and bills and food!!!

I'm feeling very depressed and hopeless...when you live in chronic pain you try everything possible to make life even a tiny bit more comfortable...but you need money to do that .

Yes, I have cut all bills as much as we possibly can....switched fuel suppliers, phone suppliers etc...there isn't any more we can do.

Please tell me there is help for someone like me??

I am even considering going into arrears with our mortgage for a couple of months just so I can be in a bit less pain. It sucks!!
Page 3
    • sheramber
    • By sheramber 8th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 5,595 Posts
    • 4,246 Thanks
    sheramber
    Have you run up all this debts since 2013 when you won a new car and £37000 which you said you would use to pat off all your debts?

You need to take stock of your spending and cut down on it. As we do not know what your income and expenditure is nobody here can help. But I don't thin you want help to do that.
    • Sncjw
    • By Sncjw 8th Apr 18, 2:34 PM
    • 1,969 Posts
    • 1,155 Thanks
    Sncjw
    How are you a homeowner when you have the bank the house back and they sold it.
  • archived user
    Some excellent suggestions on this thread already re. approaching charitable organisations. One word of warning about buying second hand mattresses or sofas - they may contain bedbugs, which are unpleasant and very difficult to get rid of. The last thing you need when you are already suffering health problems.

They hide in mattresses very effectively and can last for months. They are very hard to get rid of and are resistant to most pesticides.Ē Bedbugs can survive for more than a year without feeding, which enables them to hide out waiting for hosts in furniture, mattresses, bedding and clothing. They can also survive temperatures as varied as freezing to 113 degrees. This trait enables them to survive transportation more easily than ever, hitching a ride on secondhand items. Bedbugs donít transmit disease, but their bites can become red, itchy welts.
    You may want to do a quick google search on the subject.
    • keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    • By keepcalmandstayoutofdebt 8th Apr 18, 5:19 PM
    • 3,433 Posts
    • 1,813 Thanks
    keepcalmandstayoutofdebt
    Have you tried you're hospital consultant/doctor OP? what do they say?

Have you seen
    https://www.gov.uk/apply-home-equipment-for-disabled

I know when my brother desired more then the nhs chair, it did fall to him to pay. I remember them getting in touch with our local council so maybe link above is good to look into if you haven't already.
    "If you are caught in a rainstorm, once you accept that you'll receive a soaking, the only thing left to do is enjoy the walk"
    • fozziebeartoo
    • By fozziebeartoo 8th Apr 18, 5:51 PM
    • 1,555 Posts
    • 12,617 Thanks
    fozziebeartoo
    Have you run up all this debts since 2013 when you won a new car and £37000 which you said you would use to pat off all your debts?

You need to take stock of your spending and cut down on it. As we do not know what your income and expenditure is nobody here can help. But I don't thin you want help to do that.
    Originally posted by sheramber
    That was a thread about asking the Universe for what people wanted.......not what they had.
    • Jojo the Tightfisted
    • By Jojo the Tightfisted 8th Apr 18, 9:03 PM
    • 25,327 Posts
    • 102,262 Thanks
    Jojo the Tightfisted
    That was a thread about asking the Universe for what people wanted.......not what they had.
    Originally posted by fozziebeartoo
    Just goes to prove that Magical Thinking isn't anywhere near as much help as taking small steps to achieve an interim resolution. Sticking a pound in a jar each day for a month or two would pay for a king sized memory foam mattress topper with money left over; wishing for a Fairy Godmother/Charity to drop a brand new mattress and settee out of the sky won't.

Having a fancy bed will mean Jack if the home gets repossessed as a result of deliberately defaulting on the mortgage to pay for it - it doesn't do a marriage much good for a partner/spouse to find that their hard earned salary intended to house the family has been effectively stolen for a shopping spree in John Lewis (other furniture sellers are available), either.
    I could dream to wide extremes, I could do or die: I could yawn and be withdrawn and watch the world go by.

Yup you are officially Rock n Roll
    Originally posted by colinw
    • McKneff
    • By McKneff 9th Apr 18, 9:36 PM
    • 36,283 Posts
    • 46,763 Thanks
    McKneff
    Still no SOA then. I'm out
    make the most of it, we are only here for the weekend.
    and we will never, ever return.
    • Mrs_Ryan
    • By Mrs_Ryan 10th Apr 18, 10:56 PM
    • 10,721 Posts
    • 20,344 Thanks
    Mrs_Ryan
    Im sorry but this boils my blood.
    Im in similar situation to OP- disabled and in chronic pain. OH works very long hours and his wages only just cover the bills. We needed a new bed and mattress (the other bed was broken and the springs sticking through the mattress) We also needed a wet room as OH had to lift me in and out of the bath so I could shower and a new boiler as we had had no heating in over five years. But you know what we didnt get a single penny of halp as you put it and we had to find the money for it ourselves. When things are a priority its amazing what you can do. Oh and by the way our sofa is now close to 21 years old and we certainly dont expect someone else to pay for a new one! I am not unsympathetic as to your pain- I know what it is like but that does not mean that someone else should foot the bill when you need something!
    Very proud to be Open University BA (Hons) English Lang and Lit Graduate! MA English De Montfort Uni 2018- PASSED WITH MERIT!! Round 2 OU started 06/10- BSc Combined STEM, Year 1 E117 and W101.
    Got Engaged 02/10/2018
    Miss you JV and TW
    Elle
    • John-K
    • By John-K 10th Apr 18, 11:06 PM
    • 654 Posts
    • 1,024 Thanks
    John-K
    It sounds like your husband needs to look at what he can do to earn more money. Can he get a second job, or work towards a promotion in the current one?

What have you been spending his !!!8220;good wage!!!8221; on in recent years that you have come to be in this state?
    • Pdbaggett
    • By Pdbaggett 11th Apr 18, 3:30 PM
    • 109 Posts
    • 82 Thanks
    Pdbaggett
    A bit more information could help a lot of benefit/grant money is based around house hold income. How much actually is your husband's "good wage" as this could be a deciding factor.
    • LeesArt
    • By LeesArt 13th Apr 18, 8:08 PM
    • 35 Posts
    • 42 Thanks
    LeesArt
    It seems to me that the has long abandonned the thread despite good advice.

My family were able to get an almost new £2k electric disability bed from Freecycle for a relative and when they died we put it back on Freecycle for someone else.

I have got huge amount from Freecycle myself.

Anyway, as the OP has gone carry on talking amonst yourselves!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,751Posts Today

6,150Users online

Martin's Twitter