Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Jimj40
    • By Jimj40 6th Apr 18, 8:01 AM
    • 32Posts
    • 4Thanks
    Jimj40
    Aldi Won't Deliver To Non-residential Address?
    • 6th Apr 18, 8:01 AM
    Aldi Won't Deliver To Non-residential Address? 6th Apr 18 at 8:01 AM
    Well, the title sums it up but, briefly, I live abroad but still shop extensively in the UK and have goods shipped to me.

One thing we can't get here (in Bulgaria) is decently-priced good coffee pods, which fortunately(?) Aldi do stock. Following their retreat from the whole of the Balkans - after being soundly trounced by Lidl - I have to rely on online shopping to obtain them here. I'm registered with them but they refuse point-blank to deliver to a non-residential address, ie the shippers in London; Aldi Customer Services basically have no idea why that is but just make up different "reasons" when pressed for an answer. It seems to be as much a mystery to them as it is to me but then they had no idea that Aldi used to be in the Balkans and then pulled out, so the "Big Picture" is seemingly above their pay-grade..

I know it's probably a silly question but is this refusal to deliver to a particular "type" of address strictly legal? It's very galling, especially since they simply cancel orders without giving any notification that they have done so and one is left wondering when the goods are going to turn up until eventually discovering that they aren't....

PS Their Nespresso pods are GOOD!
Page 1
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 6th Apr 18, 8:04 AM
    • 13,290 Posts
    • 41,928 Thanks
    sarah1972
    • 6th Apr 18, 8:04 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 8:04 AM

I know it's probably a silly question but is this refusal to deliver to a particular "type" of address strictly legal?
    Originally posted by Jimj40
    Perfectly legal.

My husband was having a christmas party at work and I wanted to send a Tesco grocery order to his work with nibbles etc and they said that they dont deliver groceries to non residential addresses.
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • DCFC79
    • By DCFC79 6th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    • 32,579 Posts
    • 20,502 Thanks
    DCFC79
    • 6th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    Nothing wrong with who they choose to deliver to, theres a few options available to you, move back to the uk, get a friend to buy them then ship them to you or you find an alternative to buy.
    • Jimj40
    • By Jimj40 6th Apr 18, 9:32 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jimj40
    • 6th Apr 18, 9:32 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 9:32 AM
    Well, I'm certainly not looking to move back to the UK - among other reasons PC and social media hysteria seem to run the show, Council Tax is at a crazy level for nothing much in return etc.

Other companies (and supermarkets) have no problem delivering to the shipper's address - and I don't really see the problem anyway: do they think I'm going to steal their market share in coffee pods by buying a few boxes and selling them at a loss in the Balkans? It's bonkers to get free delivery to an address where I don't want something just so I can ship it to where I do want it so it can be onward shipped to yet another place where I want it, even if the longest leg of the shipment is actually vastly cheaper than the costs within the UK.

And if you know of another store chain that sells Aldi's own coffee pods I'd be happy to buy from them....
    Last edited by Jimj40; 06-04-2018 at 9:36 AM.
    • Jimj40
    • By Jimj40 6th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    Jimj40
    • 6th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 9:39 AM
    Perfectly legal.

My husband was having a christmas party at work and I wanted to send a Tesco grocery order to his work with nibbles etc and they said that they dont deliver groceries to non residential addresses.
    Originally posted by sarah1972
    That's quite possibly the case - but not everything that big companies choose to do should be regarded as legal just because they do it...
    • alanq
    • By alanq 6th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 4,051 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    alanq
    • 6th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 6:30 PM
    Seems a reasonable policy.

Consider the scenario:
    Van turns up at a business address.
    Someone is summoned to accept the delivery while van driver waits.
    Someone (who may or may not be the actual customer) eventually accepts the delivery. .
    Customer later disputes that delivery arrived or that items were missing / damaged.
    Why would a business want the hassle of dealing with disputes?

Some businesses will not accept personal deliveries for their staff - perishables are likely to be particularly unwelcome.

Sainsbury's does deliver orders placed by businesses to businesses.
    Last edited by alanq; 06-04-2018 at 6:38 PM.
    • dlusman
    • By dlusman 7th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 2,329 Posts
    • 4,547 Thanks
    dlusman
    • 7th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    I know it's probably a silly question but is this refusal to deliver to a particular "type" of address strictly legal? It's very galling, especially since they simply cancel orders without giving any notification that they have done so and one is left wondering when the goods are going to turn up until eventually discovering that they aren't....
    A business can set up any sales/distribution service they want as long as they dont discrimate against particular groups. Others may know better but I believe it includes race, color, religion, nationality, disability, sexuality.

So you can decide you are only going to deliver to Mr & Mrs Smith down the road if you want ( whether that is a good business model is another question)
    • eddddy
    • By eddddy 7th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    • 6,908 Posts
    • 6,846 Thanks
    eddddy
    • 7th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    • 7th Apr 18, 11:50 PM
    I'm registered with them but they refuse point-blank to deliver to a non-residential address, ie the shippers in London; Aldi Customer Services basically have no idea why that is but just make up different "reasons" when pressed for an answer.
    Are you sure that the problem is that it's a commercial address?

Presumably other overseas customers might use that same shipping firm (same address). Aldi may have had problems with deliveries to that address - e.g. use of stolen credit cards etc - and so blacklisted the address.

Or could it be that Aldi is more cautious than other supermarkets about delivery addresses which are not the cardholder's registered address?
    • vivatifosi
    • By vivatifosi 8th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 18,245 Posts
    • 113,265 Thanks
    vivatifosi
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    • 8th Apr 18, 5:09 PM
    Aren't Aldi coffee pods designed to fit Nespresso machines? If so, have you tried whatever the Bulgarian generic version of Nespresso is?
    Please stay safe in the sun and learn the A-E of melanoma: A = asymmetry, B = irregular borders, C= different colours, D= diameter, larger than 6mm, E = evolving, is your mole changing? Most moles are not cancerous, any doubts, please check next time you visit your GP.
    • Tigger1000
    • By Tigger1000 10th Apr 18, 1:05 PM
    • 39 Posts
    • 68 Thanks
    Tigger1000
    They do deliver to non-residential addresses - they deliver fine to our foodbank. Which is NOT in a house, and the address clearly reveals that!
    You are braver than you believe, stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    Winnie the Pooh
    • C J
    • By C J 19th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 1,084 Posts
    • 6,662 Thanks
    C J
    Perfectly legal.

Originally posted by sarah1972

I regularly (at least twice a month) have grocery orders from Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose delivered to my work address for social events.
    An ever-shifting labyrinth of chiaroscuro
    • ballisticbrian
    • By ballisticbrian 19th Apr 18, 12:48 PM
    • 3,451 Posts
    • 1,961 Thanks
    ballisticbrian
    Yeah I had Aldi refuse to deliver to us at our workplace... !!!!!s...

Warning: any unnecessary disclaimers appearing under my posts do not bear any connection with reality, either intended, accidental or otherwise. Your statutory rights are not affected.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 19th Apr 18, 1:23 PM
    • 13,290 Posts
    • 41,928 Thanks
    sarah1972
    I regularly (at least twice a month) have grocery orders from Tesco, Sainsbury's and Waitrose delivered to my work address for social events.
    Originally posted by C J
    How odd, I just rang Tesco and they told me that they are not allowed to for insurance purposes ! Whatever that is supposed to mean
    I'm a Board Guide on all of the Shopping & Freebies Boards http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/forumdisplay.php?f=5
    I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an inappropriate or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com (its not part of my role to deal with reportable posts). Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com
    • alanq
    • By alanq 19th Apr 18, 3:42 PM
    • 4,051 Posts
    • 2,636 Thanks
    alanq
    For wine:
    "Please note we are currently unable to deliver by time slot delivery to business addresses but we can deliver to you using our next day delivery service."
    https://www.tesco.com/wine/help/default.aspx?name=deliveryoptions&rel=help#timeslo tDeliveryexceptions

Generally:
    "The Tesco.com grocery home delivery service is available for non-commercial and domestic use only. Tesco.com reserves the right to refuse orders from businesses or that we consider are for commercial or other non-domestic concerns."
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/help

This could account for delveries to Tigger1000's food bank being permitted.
    Last edited by alanq; 19-04-2018 at 3:47 PM.
    • sarah1972
    • By sarah1972 20th Apr 18, 7:30 AM
    • 13,290 Posts
    • 41,928 Thanks
    sarah1972
    Originally posted by C J
    For wine:
    "Please note we are currently unable to deliver by time slot delivery to business addresses but we can deliver to you using our next day delivery service."
    https://www.tesco.com/wine/help/default.aspx?name=deliveryoptions&rel=help#timeslo tDeliveryexceptions

Generally:
    "The Tesco.com grocery home delivery service is available for non-commercial and domestic use only. Tesco.com reserves the right to refuse orders from businesses or that we consider are for commercial or other non-domestic concerns."
    https://www.tesco.com/groceries/en-GB/help

This could account for delveries to Tigger1000's food bank being permitted.
    Originally posted by alanq
    You must be lucky C J as it looks as though they are flouting their own rules to deliver to you every month.

Thanks Alan

That answers why they said they couldn't deliver to a non residential address.
    Last edited by sarah1972; 20-04-2018 at 4:06 PM.
    • meer53
    • By meer53 20th Apr 18, 7:34 PM
    • 9,288 Posts
    • 13,511 Thanks
    meer53
    I've only ever bought Aldi's coffee capsules once. That was enough, stick to Nespresso.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,589Posts Today

9,357Users online

Martin's Twitter