Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • George21
    • By George21 6th Apr 18, 4:13 AM
    • 3Posts
    • 1Thanks
    George21
    Police ehicle Stops
    • 6th Apr 18, 4:13 AM
    Police ehicle Stops 6th Apr 18 at 4:13 AM
    A friend of mine (who has since moved abroad) once told me never to give my documents during a police stop. I asked them why, but never got a clear answer. Is there a reason for this? I was under the impression that they may scrutinize my insurance documents or something? But is that also the case with my driving license. Can any someone shed light on this?, it's been bugging me for a while.
    Last edited by George21; 06-04-2018 at 4:14 AM. Reason: Spelling.
Page 3
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 8th Apr 18, 12:02 AM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Look up Crimebodge on YouTube.

Never get out of your car and go and sit the police car either.

Police are not your friend.
    Last edited by LeeUK; 08-04-2018 at 12:10 AM.
    • Happychappy
    • By Happychappy 8th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,708 Posts
    • 2,662 Thanks
    Happychappy
    Look up Crimebodge on YouTube.

Never get out of your car and go and sit the police car either.

Police are not your friend.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    And the worst offence is ............failing the attitude test

You my friend would get absolutely everything you ask for, except a "break" including a caution, word of advice, or simply letting things go. These are reserved for common sense people, the failing of the attitude test is reserved for those who make hard work out of things, and clearly dont wont to work with you. Bit still it takes all sorts to make a "community"
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 8th Apr 18, 1:10 PM
    • 12,807 Posts
    • 10,125 Thanks
    unholyangel
    The courts, however, rely on the dictionary rather than what you think. A licence is very definitely documentation. And BTW its prime purpose is not identification, but evidence of entitlement.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Are you forgetting we're talking about the meaning of something I said? In which case it most definitely does go on what I meant by it and not what the courts would mean by it.

Can you still drive until the age of 70 with a paper licence?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Point?
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Apr 18, 1:44 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    AndyMc.....
    Can you still drive until the age of 70 with a paper licence?
    Originally posted by AndyMc.....
    Point?
    Originally posted by unholyangel
    Paper licences are as valid as a photocard and are certainly not a thing of the past.
    • Hermione Granger
    • By Hermione Granger 8th Apr 18, 3:40 PM
    • 893 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    Hermione Granger
    But paper licences are a thing of the past - its photocard only now.
    VHS is a thing of the past, it does not mean that no one currently has one.
    But surely if people still have VHS players this must mean someone can't claim that it's DVD only.
    The " only" part of "photocard only" must mean that there is nothing else being used.

only

adverb
    1. and no one or nothing more besides; solely.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 8th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK
    And the worst offence is ............failing the attitude test

You my friend would get absolutely everything you ask for, except a "break" including a caution, word of advice, or simply letting things go. These are reserved for common sense people, the failing of the attitude test is reserved for those who make hard work out of things, and clearly dont wont to work with you. Bit still it takes all sorts to make a "community"
    Originally posted by Happychappy
    What attitude test is that?

There is no legal requirement that you need to go and sit in the back of a police car unless under arrest. A simple stop because you pinged the ANPR is not a reason for arrest, especially if you know you and your car are fully legit.

This is not freeman of the land nonsense either. Watch the Crimebodge Bad Cop No Donut videos.
    • Car 54
    • By Car 54 8th Apr 18, 5:14 PM
    • 3,308 Posts
    • 2,054 Thanks
    Car 54
    What attitude test is that?

There is no legal requirement that you need to go and sit in the back of a police car unless under arrest. A simple stop because you pinged the ANPR is not a reason for arrest, especially if you know you and your car are fully legit.
    Originally posted by LeeUK
    Probably not. But if you're unhelpful to them you shouldn't be surprised if that is reciprocated. Exactly like any other human interaction.
    • unholyangel
    • By unholyangel 8th Apr 18, 5:44 PM
    • 12,807 Posts
    • 10,125 Thanks
    unholyangel
    But surely if people still have VHS players this must mean someone can't claim that it's DVD only.
    The " only" part of "photocard only" must mean that there is nothing else being used.
    Originally posted by Hermione Granger
    You're putting emphasis on the wrong word in my post.

Originally Posted by unholyangel
    But paper licences are a thing of the past - its photocard only now.
    You cannot get a paper licence (or even paper part of your licence) now, it is photocard only.

You may have gotten one in the past (which is why its a thing of the past), but you cannot get one now.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/a-thing-of-the-past
    Money doesn't solve poverty.....it creates it.
    • AndyMc.....
    • By AndyMc..... 8th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 2,359 Posts
    • 1,436 Thanks
    AndyMc.....

You cannot get a paper licence (or even paper part of your licence) now, it is photocard only.

You may have gotten one in the past (which is why its a thing of the past), but you cannot get one now.

Itís not a thing of the past, driving with a paper licence is still legal.

Look up the rules of holes.
    • LeeUK
    • By LeeUK 8th Apr 18, 11:51 PM
    • 6,035 Posts
    • 2,744 Thanks
    LeeUK
    Probably not. But if you're unhelpful to them you shouldn't be surprised if that is reciprocated. Exactly like any other human interaction.
    Originally posted by Car 54
    Not if you film the whole encounter for you own protection.
    • POPPYOSCAR
    • By POPPYOSCAR 9th Apr 18, 12:08 AM
    • 11,277 Posts
    • 24,277 Thanks
    POPPYOSCAR

Sorry, but I have to agree with others on this.

Your previous post does read the way they are saying.
    • TyreLever
    • By TyreLever 9th Apr 18, 6:18 AM
    • 197 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    TyreLever
    It is actually an offence not to produce them when asked by a police officer, however the usual way to deal with it is to give you a producer to produce them within 7 days at a police station.

Of course these days they can normally find out everything they want to even before they stop you.
    Originally posted by esmerobbo
    I drive to work but I never carry my license with me. I dont carry my bank card or license on me unless I will likely need them to reduce risk of loss. When pulled over by a cop for speeding, I wasnt able to produce any documents, but the officer could confirm everything was in order with a phone call and presumably ANPR. I only got a warning too, but I did agree that I was speeding aswell as the fact that I thought the speed limit was the national speed limit, and not a lower one approaching a roundabout.
    Sometimes my advice may not be great, but I'm not perfect and I do try my best. Please take this into account.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

170Posts Today

1,241Users online

Martin's Twitter