Police ehicle Stops

Comments

• esmerobbo
    esmerobbo Posts: 4,979 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary
    tenchy wrote: »
    So Plod stops you on the way to the airport for your annual two-week holiday in Ibiza. You have seven days to produce whatever documents he specifies. What's the approach now? Yes, ok Mr Plod I'll go to the station (likely to be a long way from your house and only manned part time), or sorry Mr Plod, I'm out of the country for two weeks, so no-can-do?

As Mercdriver says the offence is complete, the seven days is a chance to prevent any prosecution.
    As I said Hort1's are seldom used nowadays, but they are still available to use if required. One scenario could be if someone is driving on an European or international licence.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    esmerobbo wrote: »
    As Mercdriver says the offence is complete, the seven days is a chance to prevent any prosecution.
    As I said Hort1's are seldom used nowadays, but they are still available to use if required. One scenario could be if someone is driving on an European or international licence.

But my point was, what do you say if you're in the situation of having to present documents within an impossible time period? Do you say "sorry, can't do it, going on holiday", or do you say "okay". I suspect the latter, given that if you say you can't do it, who knows what Plod might then do. Some police might understand your predicament and be sensible about it, but others ....
  • AndyMc.....
    AndyMc..... Posts: 3,248 Forumite
    Combo Breaker First Post
    But my point was, what do you say if you're in the situation of having to present documents within an impossible time period? Do you say "sorry, can't do it, going on holiday", or do you say "okay". I suspect the latter, given that if you say you can't do it, who knows what Plod might then do. Some police might understand your predicament and be sensible about it, but others ....

Report you for failing to produce.
  • tenchy
    tenchy Posts: 486 Forumite
    Report you for failing to produce.

Or seize the vehicle?
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    Or seize the vehicle?

That wouldn’t be lawful.
  • Nasqueron
    Nasqueron Posts: 8,785 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker

Simple enough, take your plastic driving license around with you (good for ID, holiday car rentals etc) and have a copy of your insurance certificate emailed (scan it and email it to yourself) and have it on your phone or just print it out and keep in the car in case it's needed, you don't need to do more than that
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    I always thought the holder had to produce the licence.

According to this page, if its the licence it needs to be the holder. Other documentation (insurance, MOT etc) can be produced by anyone on your behalf.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
  • AndyMc.....
    Combo Breaker First Post
    According to this page, if its the licence it needs to be the holder. Other documentation (insurance, MOT etc) can be produced by anyone on your behalf.

So technically your sibling should have gone to court for speeding and failing to produce.
  • usefulmale
    usefulmale Posts: 2,627 Forumite

If you supply your documents in court (proving that everything was in order at the time of the stop) and a reason why you couldn't produce within 7 days, you would be fine.

It's the same scenario if you were stopped on your way to hospital for a pre-planned operation. It would be unreasonable to cancel a pre-arranged and paid-for holiday just for a producer.
  • unholyangel
    unholyangel Posts: 16,863 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    So technically your sibling should have gone to court for speeding and failing to produce.

No, as I said....its only the licence that the holder needs to personally submit. The rest can be submitted by someone on your behalf.
    You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means - Inigo Montoya, The Princess Bride
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.1K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.2K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 607.9K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173K Life & Family
  • 247.8K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure