Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Infidel
    • By Infidel 6th Apr 18, 12:48 AM
    • 1,211Posts
    • 293Thanks
    Infidel
    0 WOW
    Smartphone in USA?
    • 6th Apr 18, 12:48 AM
    0 WOW
    Smartphone in USA? 6th Apr 18 at 12:48 AM
    Hi.

I'll be visiting the USA soon for a short holiday, yet need to remain easily contactable. It would also be good to have a working map at least as I'll be travelling to a few different places.

According to the willmyphone work sites my 3g smartphone (P6_lite) wont work when I'm over there.

I didn't really think about that - as I haven't been out of Europe (where it's worked everywhere) since I joined the smartphone world back in 2012.

Has anyone got any suggestions to what I can do? Cheap options . .

Thanks.
    Instigated terrorism the road to dictatorship.
Page 1
    • PeacefulWaters
    • By PeacefulWaters 6th Apr 18, 1:44 AM
    • 8,318 Posts
    • 10,670 Thanks
    PeacefulWaters
    • 6th Apr 18, 1:44 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 1:44 AM
    Look at 3 options.

Or download google map routes when you have wifi access.
    • benjus
    • By benjus 6th Apr 18, 8:08 AM
    • 5,197 Posts
    • 3,213 Thanks
    benjus
    • 6th Apr 18, 8:08 AM
    • 6th Apr 18, 8:08 AM
    Look at 3 options.

Or download google map routes when you have wifi access.
    Originally posted by PeacefulWaters
    3 won't be any use if the phone itself won't work on US frequency bands.

I can't comment on the specifics of your phone, but assuming that what you've read online is correct, your phone isn't going to be much use for contactability, although as PeacefulWaters says you could still use it for maps as long as you download them in advance.

One option would be to buy a cheap phone that does work on US frequencies and pair it with a Three SIM card with feel at home enabled, and carry both phones. Or use the trip as an excuse to upgrade...
    Let's settle this like gentlemen: armed with heavy sticks
    On a rotating plate, with spikes like Flash Gordon
    And you're Peter Duncan; I gave you fair warning
    • photome
    • By photome 6th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 13,470 Posts
    • 8,985 Thanks
    photome
    • 6th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 4:04 PM
    As above I use a three sim in the USA and buy a 10 bolt on which lasts 30days and gives more than enough calls,text and data for me.

Of course you will need to get a usable phone first, a cheap second hand one would do, making sure it is compatible or treat yourself to a new phone
    • Infidel
    • By Infidel 9th Apr 18, 1:20 AM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Infidel
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:20 AM
    • 9th Apr 18, 1:20 AM
    Hi. Thanks for the responses.

It looks like I'll have to try and get hold of a cheap (but usable) smartphone that will work in the USA - preferably before I go.

Any recommendations?
    • Infidel
    • By Infidel 15th Apr 18, 11:55 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Infidel
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:55 PM
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:55 PM
    How about T-Mobile? I read they are good for US data/coverage and have 'many' shops over there.
    • photome
    • By photome 16th Apr 18, 4:56 AM
    • 13,470 Posts
    • 8,985 Thanks
    photome
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:56 AM
    • 16th Apr 18, 4:56 AM
    What about T mobile?

The 3 sim with feel at home will use the T mobile network in the USA
    • Infidel
    • By Infidel 16th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Infidel
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    What about T mobile?

The 3 sim with feel at home will use the T mobile network in the USA
    Originally posted by photome
    That's what I mean. So T-Mobile would be a better option than 'three' especially since there are T-Mobile shops in the USA where I can probably pick up a sim in store?

I can't get the Three sim before going as they do not deliver to non UK (EU) addresses. Only Giffgaff seem to do that (but their roaming rates are SHOCKING and even their US bolt on is expensive at almost 5 a day).
    As I said, my only option would be Gatwick Airport where I have to change plane . . .but all the advice I've read says do not buy anything at the airport as it will be a rip off.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 16th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 16th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    OP, I am a little confused by your last post, so you are not in the UK or EU? Where do you live for a sim to be delivered? Or do you want the sim to be delivered to your US address?

The 'three' option is one of the best deals for sim only as it will allow you to use your allowance like you would at home. i.e. UK.

If you want to get a tmobile sim when in the US then the costs to call another country will still be high, calling the US with a US sim is cheaper but depending where you are calling can be still be classed as long distance.
    • Infidel
    • By Infidel 16th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 1,211 Posts
    • 293 Thanks
    Infidel
    OP, I am a little confused by your last post, so you are not in the UK or EU? Where do you live for a sim to be delivered? Or do you want the sim to be delivered to your US address?

The 'three' option is one of the best deals for sim only as it will allow you to use your allowance like you would at home. i.e. UK.

If you want to get a tmobile sim when in the US then the costs to call another country will still be high, calling the US with a US sim is cheaper but depending where you are calling can be still be classed as long distance.
    Originally posted by stevie11
    Just to clarify . . I'm in the EU. But three only deliver sims to UK addresses. So that's why I can;t get that deal . . I can't get hold of a UK three sim (and I don't think they sell them in the US either).
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 16th Apr 18, 3:26 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    stevie11
    So is there no equivalent or decent sim package in your home country?
    • keiran73
    • By keiran73 18th Apr 18, 1:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    keiran73
    As above I use a three sim in the USA and buy a 10 bolt on which lasts 30days and gives more than enough calls,text and data for me.

Of course you will need to get a usable phone first, a cheap second hand one would do, making sure it is compatible or treat yourself to a new phone
    What is the 3 10 bolt on? I tried to get a bolt on from 3 but they said they don't do them?
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 18th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    stevie11
    What is the 3 10 bolt on? I tried to get a bolt on from 3 but they said they don't do them?
    Originally posted by keiran73
    If yo are new to three and want a one month rolling sim plan only then the cheapest looks like 18. There are cheaper plans but they don't include the 'feel at home' benefit.

Go through topcashback or quidco it may work out cheaper.
    • photome
    • By photome 18th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 13,470 Posts
    • 8,985 Thanks
    photome
    If yo are new to three and want a one month rolling sim plan only then the cheapest looks like 18. There are cheaper plans but they don't include the 'feel at home' benefit.

Go through topcashback or quidco it may work out cheaper.
    Originally posted by stevie11
    Are you saying new customers cant get the 10 feel at home 30 day bolt on?

If so I wont recomend it anymore, I often post that its the best deal when going to the USa

I dont have a contract, I use a sim that I got from 3 quite a few years ago
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Apr 18, 4:40 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    Originally posted by keiran73
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-SIM-Card-Incuding-15-Credit-Preloaded-5GB-data-3k-texts-3k-minutes-/221214272364

Ask them to activate it in the UK before sending it out.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Apr 18, 4:44 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    If you need less data; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-SIM-Card-Incuding-10-Credit-Preloaded-1GB-data-3k-texts-3k-minutes-/321104048600
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Apr 18, 4:46 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    EveryWhere

If so I wont recomend it anymore, I often post that its the best deal when going to the USa

Prepaid SIMs aren't affected. He's probably referring to Essential contracts.
    • EveryWhere
    • By EveryWhere 18th Apr 18, 5:01 PM
    • 731 Posts
    • 339 Thanks
    EveryWhere
    If you only need data in so that you'll be contactable, this will do; https://www.ebay.com/itm/Three-1GB-SIM-Card-Standard-Micro-Nano-Multi-SIM-For-all-3G-and-4G-Devices-/322189055700

Make sure they activate it by putting it into a device in the UK before sending it out.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 18th Apr 18, 5:23 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    stevie11

Photome, I checked out the three website to check before I posted the 18 deal earlier, I didn't see anything about bolt ons, not saying they don't exist though.

I have a 3 contract anyway but I purchased a 30 day rolling sim for my Son to go travelling last year and I am sure there were some slightly cheaper back then but he wanted enough data for his travels so it was about 18 although there was topcashback discount.

I know three changed their sim plans a year or so ago from some having the 'feel at home' whilst others don't.

Still 18 is a good deal if you want to keep in touch with fellow travellers or back home.
    Last edited by stevie11; 18-04-2018 at 5:27 PM.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 18th Apr 18, 5:45 PM
    • 478 Posts
    • 245 Thanks
    stevie11
    Photome, to clarify, I have checked the three web site and you and others are correct regarding the top-up on payg so you can get a 10 top-up and use abroad, that is a good deal. http://www.three.co.uk/Support/Top_Up#phone_addons

Apologies for confusion.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,863Posts Today

8,216Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @Dora_Haf: @MartinSLewis So many people on here saying they're great until you get your PROPER job. What if Your proper job Is ON zero?

• RT @hslt88: @MartinSLewis I?m a trustee for a youth charity. We only have a limited pool of funds for flexible youth workers for holiday sc?

• RT @Dan_i_elle_88: @MartinSLewis Loved working zero hour agency care work. Never out of work and I loved having the flexibility! Only left?

• Follow Martin