Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 5th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    • 2,609Posts
    • 304Thanks
    britishboy
    Should LED lamps make a noise?
    • 5th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    Should LED lamps make a noise? 5th Apr 18 at 5:54 PM
    Swapped front fog light bulbs/lamps on our other car (not the audi in previous post) for LED bulbs, and when they're on and you put your ear right to it, you can hear a very, very feint buzzing sound? Should i be concerned?

You'd never hear it even stood at the front of the car, its just because i was there putting the cover back on when i noticed it
Page 1
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 5th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 3,004 Posts
    • 2,087 Thanks
    EssexExile
    • 5th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 5:59 PM
    There's some electronics in there so it must be that. Were they cheap & cheerful or a quality brand?
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • britishboy
    • By britishboy 5th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 2,609 Posts
    • 304 Thanks
    britishboy
    • 5th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 6:13 PM
    There's some electronics in there so it must be that. Were they cheap & cheerful or a quality brand?
    Originally posted by EssexExile
    Cheap and cheerful I'm afraid Essex, but was recommended them on another motoring forum
    • Tarambor
    • By Tarambor 6th Apr 18, 2:41 PM
    • 3,385 Posts
    • 2,479 Thanks
    Tarambor
    • 6th Apr 18, 2:41 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 2:41 PM
    The reason for LEDs to make noise may be that old dimmer switches are incompatible with LEDs, which causes vibrations in the light bulb, which then is heard as hum or buzzing coming from the light bulbs.
    Originally posted by heathfieldmotors
    Not even remotely close. No idea where you heard that but it is about as wrong as it is possible to be. If your username is an indication of what you do for a living may I suggest not going anywhere near a vehicle with tools?
    • gabitzul
    • By gabitzul 11th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 245 Posts
    • 98 Thanks
    gabitzul
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 3:11 PM
    Some LED bulbs have fans behind them, to help with cooling.
    • Ectophile
    • By Ectophile 11th Apr 18, 8:05 PM
    • 3,237 Posts
    • 2,090 Thanks
    Ectophile
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:05 PM
    • 11th Apr 18, 8:05 PM
    The unit will almost certainly have a switch-mode power supply to run the LEDs. Each LED needs around 3V to run, and the current needs to be carefully controlled to avoid burning it out.

If it's cheaply made, the little inductor coil could be buzzing.
    If it sticks, force it.
    If it breaks, well it wasn't working right anyway.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

123Posts Today

1,230Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin