Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 5th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    • 1,544Posts
    • 734Thanks
    ahai1
    Alternatives to Pay TV
    • 5th Apr 18, 4:54 PM
    Alternatives to Pay TV 5th Apr 18 at 4:54 PM
    Hi I am not sure if this belongs here but I could not find a more suitable forum on MSE.

Anyway I was wondering as I don't want to spend a lot of money on services like Sky or Virgin. Has anyone dropped those services in favour of services like Netflix or Amazon Prime? If so are there any benefits?
Page 2
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 9th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    Sky are awful. Staff don't understand what is going on. Amazon is better and cheaper.
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 10th Apr 18, 8:54 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    mbmonty
    If you want to really save the most then don't just ditch Sky and Virgin, dump live TV and iPlayer, you then save the price of TV Licence, you will also get back a huge amount of time in your life.

Watching what you want rather than what is dished up on the schedule changes your whole approach to TV.

the TV Licence saving alone will fund Netflix and leave you some money.
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 10th Apr 18, 2:40 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    I thought you had to pay the TV licence now as they closed the loopholes.
    • googler
    • By googler 10th Apr 18, 2:53 PM
    • 14,715 Posts
    • 9,645 Thanks
    googler
    Freeview, NowTV (which includes iPlayer, other on-demand services and YouTube) and Netflix, total 14 or so per mth plus licence fee, and that's more than I/we have available viewing time for ...

Most of the latest blockbusters (Game of Thrones, etc.) are available this way. We're lacking in sports, but....
    • A. Badger
    • By A. Badger 10th Apr 18, 4:38 PM
    • 5,182 Posts
    • 6,591 Thanks
    A. Badger
    I suppose it depends on your tastes. I have Amazon Prime (as a replacement for LoveFilm) and I think it's rubbish. Most of what's on offer seems to comprise trashy Hollywood films and low quality American series (The Man In The High Castle very much excepted).

I suppose if that's the sort of material you want to watch, it might satisfy, but the lack of serious programming and the loss of all the non-fiction that used to be available on LoveFilm gets it a thumbs down from me.

I'll probably ditch it come renewal time and stick with Freeserve.
    • mbmonty
    • By mbmonty 10th Apr 18, 7:15 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 54 Thanks
    mbmonty
    I thought you had to pay the TV licence now as they closed the loopholes.
    Originally posted by ahai1
    The only so called loophole was iPlayer, but if you do not watch LIVE TV or use BBC iPlayer do you not need a TV Licence.

Netflix is a streaming service, so does not need a licence, nor do you need a licence for catchup tv online for C4, ITV and C5, but if you use a TIVO or similar that is actually recording as the programme is being broadcast then you need a licence.

The BBC needs to move to a subscription model, then sell their content worldwide online, we can then be rid of crapita (assuming they do not go bust before).
    • ttoli
    • By ttoli 10th Apr 18, 7:30 PM
    • 658 Posts
    • 421 Thanks
    ttoli
    Alternatives to Pay TV
    unsure whether you can access in the UK , I live in Cyprus and get all current UK channels via http://tvcatchup.com/, no fee
    • ahai1
    • By ahai1 10th Apr 18, 8:35 PM
    • 1,544 Posts
    • 734 Thanks
    ahai1
    A lot of the stuff on the BBC is so awful you couldn't pay me to watch. Or repeats or even better same as BBC News Channel. Close down BBC2.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 10th Apr 18, 9:34 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    RumRat
    A lot of the stuff on the BBC is so awful you couldn't pay me to watch. Or repeats or even better same as BBC News Channel. Close down BBC2.
    Originally posted by ahai1
    Apart from a usual anti BBC rant, what can you add? What do you watch, that you consider good enough, for instance?
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • takman
    • By takman 11th Apr 18, 1:02 PM
    • 3,262 Posts
    • 2,861 Thanks
    takman
    Apart from a usual anti BBC rant, what can you add? What do you watch, that you consider good enough, for instance?
    Originally posted by RumRat
    I have to agree that BBC programs are pretty poor these days when you compare them to something like Netflix. I have seen quite a few Netflix Originals recently that have been very very good.

Maybe if you sit and watch hours of TV each day you might accept watching some lower quality programs. But i only watch TV when there is something decent i want to watch and very rarely do i watch something produced by the BBC.
    • RumRat
    • By RumRat 11th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 2,712 Posts
    • 1,546 Thanks
    RumRat
    I have to agree that BBC programs are pretty poor these days when you compare them to something like Netflix. I have seen quite a few Netflix Originals recently that have been very very good.

Maybe if you sit and watch hours of TV each day you might accept watching some lower quality programs. But i only watch TV when there is something decent i want to watch and very rarely do i watch something produced by the BBC.
    Originally posted by takman
    However, that is just subjective. Netflix also has it's share of dross and as you don't say what you consider very good it's hard to judge your taste.
    I do agree that TV is only worth watching when there is actually something you want to watch....Only an idiot would watch TV just because it's there (that said, there are plenty of those around).
    I have Netflix and Skygo (neither of which I pay for) and Freeview. Most of what I watch is recorded and watched when I have time.
    I don't find the BBC any worse than any of the others to be honest.
    The result of so much choice is always going to be dilution of standards.
    Drinking Rum before 10am makes you
    A PIRATE
    Not an Alcoholic...!
    • Bigphil1474
    • By Bigphil1474 11th Apr 18, 1:34 PM
    • 806 Posts
    • 340 Thanks
    Bigphil1474
    OP, I've never had Sky through a dish or box, I'm currently with Virgin but don't get their TV either. I use a combi of Freeview plus one or more of Now TV, Amazon, and Netflix.
    Currently not got Amazon as ran out of stuff I wanted to watch, but Netflix and Now TV have some series I'm watching, and the movies are good for a night in, on Now TV. Currently pay 6.80 a month for Now TV (entertainment and Movies on a 4 month special offer), and 7 a month for Netflix. I've got plenty to go at.
    My experience (for my viewing) is that Now TV has the best movie choice and some good programmes, Netflix and Amazon are on a par, with good TV and okay movies. In terms of Sky, Now TV is a no brainer on cost, depending on which of the 4 passes you buy - same content - although Sports is expensive on Now TV like it is on Sky. You do need a good broadband speed as it is all streamed. I've never had a problem with watching, but it is about 720hp quality rather than HD.

The main advantage to these services, compared to a 12/18 month contract, is that you cancel at any time, and start up again when you want. Amazon is a fixed price far as I can tell, and can be part of Amazon Prime or separate. Never had any offers from Netflix, other than a second free trial when I'd been off it for about a year. Now TV is always giving special offers - if you go through the online cancellation process, and get to the 'are you sure you really really really want to cancel', they'll usually offer a few months at reduced price deal - definitely on Entertainment and movies - I've got 2 special offers on the go at the moment.

The real alternative to pay TV is of course Freeview and a good PVR - watch what you want to when it's on, and get series recording programmes so you've got something to watch when there isn't anything on. Plus with so many channels, pretty much everything ends up on Freeview in the end, it's just a matter of time.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,206Posts Today

6,301Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin