Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MSE Callum
    • By MSE Callum 5th Apr 18, 4:07 PM
    • 365Posts
    • 132Thanks
    MSE Callum
    MSE News: BBC trials new way to pay for a TV licence
    • 5th Apr 18, 4:07 PM
    MSE News: BBC trials new way to pay for a TV licence 5th Apr 18 at 4:07 PM
    The BBC is trialling a simpler way to pay for TV licences to allow those in need to evenly spread payments throughout the year...
    Read the full story:
    'BBC trials new way to pay for a TV licence'

Click reply below to discuss. If you havenít already, join the forum to reply.
    Read the latest MSE News
    Flag up a news story: news@moneysavingexpert.com
    Get the Free MoneySavingExpert Money Tips E-mail
Page 2
    • adonis
    • By adonis 7th Apr 18, 4:12 PM
    • 803 Posts
    • 749 Thanks
    adonis
    Oh thanks Jim, I now am going to have to watch those when I have loads of jobs to do around the house.
    • silverwhistle
    • By silverwhistle 7th Apr 18, 4:45 PM
    • 2,150 Posts
    • 2,979 Thanks
    silverwhistle
    I'd pay up for the odd show here and there, but not if the only option is £150 a year or a criminal record.
    Originally posted by jenniewb
    I'm probably in a similar position.

I look on slightly amused (bemused?) by the arguments of what is and isn't good on any particular channel as I haven't had a telly since 1988 and really haven't missed it. I wander down the local pub to watch those few football games that interest me (or go and watch matches live, and even play). I'd have to buy a radio licence if there were such a thing but even there I find there are quiet days when I don't even have that on. Plenty of other things to do in life, and still can't find time to clean and tidy the house or do DIY!

In the meantime the junk mail is just chucked in the log basket, which is quickly done as it calls me 'The Legal Occupier'. Three times now they've said "Are you in on particular day", implying they'll call and then haven't called. As I have no legal relationship it's not like an appointment with the electricity board where they'll pay you for a missed appointment. It strikes me more like an attempt at intimidation.

So I'd have no problems with a subscription model.
    • Heng Leng
    • By Heng Leng 7th Apr 18, 7:17 PM
    • 4,629 Posts
    • 1,472 Thanks
    Heng Leng
    The UK population in the main love the BBC.
    Originally posted by House Martin
    Not sure I'd call it love...

If you don't pay the state broadcaster - they fine you or lock you up.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 8th Apr 18, 9:37 AM
    • 2,508 Posts
    • 2,159 Thanks
    giraffe69
    long shot worried jim , but do you like golf ?
    Good old BBC 2 are showing hours of LIVE US Masters golf from glorious Augusta National on Saturday and the final round on Sunday night.
    I'm not a BBC hater and think they do some good things but generally Sport is not amongst those. The Golf you mention featured last night but when the programme started at around 7.30 (already some time after the golf started but you could use the red button) they decided on 30 minutes of talking heads before they went to the golf despite the leaders being out on the course by then. That is really poor. Sometimes the lack of a dedicated channel makes their life difficult but not on this occasion.
    • House Martin
    • By House Martin 8th Apr 18, 12:42 PM
    • 1,428 Posts
    • 1,192 Thanks
    House Martin
    I'm not a BBC hater and think they do some good things but generally Sport is not amongst those. The Golf you mention featured last night but when the programme started at around 7.30 (already some time after the golf started but you could use the red button) they decided on 30 minutes of talking heads before they went to the golf despite the leaders being out on the course by then. That is really poor. Sometimes the lack of a dedicated channel makes their life difficult but not on this occasion.
    Originally posted by giraffe69
    Personally I enjoyed the "talking heads " of Sandy Lyle and Ian Woosnam having a natter. I watched those two win the Masters in 88, and 91 , its always interesting to hear those two characters talking about the course and the players
    . Paul Azinger is my favourite commentator and he was worth listening to and so is Ken Brown ( who Lee Trevino nicknamed The Walking One Iron ) who was once the UKs best putter .
    A round of golf around Augusta National lasts 6 hrs, so plenty of time to catch all the action.
    I m looking forward to tonight`s final round. I had a tenner bet on Stenson and hes got a slim chance if he go s 6 or 7 under par today and the two leaders have a bad day
    Last edited by House Martin; 08-04-2018 at 1:03 PM.
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Apr 18, 6:33 PM
    • 9,585 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    worried jim
    I watched the golf last night on your recommendation, really enjoyed it, watching Tommy Fleetwood smash it was gripping.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • worried jim
    • By worried jim 8th Apr 18, 6:37 PM
    • 9,585 Posts
    • 14,763 Thanks
    worried jim
    Oh thanks Jim, I now am going to have to watch those when I have loads of jobs to do around the house.
    Originally posted by adonis
    I should add the absolutely brilliant Mr Mercedes from last year-

Tells the story of a psychopathic killer who drives a stolen Mercedes into a crowd and a recently retired detective who tries to bring him down.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt4354880/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Stars the brilliant Brendon Gleeson and written by Stephen King. Making series two as I type.
    "Only two things are infinite-the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not so sure about the universe"
    Albert Einstein
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Apr 18, 11:32 PM
    • 9,134 Posts
    • 5,450 Thanks
    teddysmum
    A pity they can't split the licence into programme types, as I'd only pay for drama. Hate sport (except for Olympics and Commonwealth games), the news is biased, as are many documentaries, reality shows (yuck, with the exception of Gareth Malone's music and a show years back when pop 'stars' went classical ),game shows are boring and comedy I wouldn't go out of my way to watch
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

247Posts Today

2,091Users online

Martin's Twitter