Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • LeahW
    • By LeahW 5th Apr 18, 3:04 PM
    • 2Posts
    • 0Thanks
    LeahW
    Brittania Parking
    • 5th Apr 18, 3:04 PM
    Brittania Parking 5th Apr 18 at 3:04 PM
    I hired a car last year, and a few weeks ago I had 48 taken from my bank account.
    I contacted the hire company who said it was because I had received a parking ticket from the hotel I stayed in for not paying for a ticket (which I had), and it was an admin fee from the hire company.

I appealed the ticket by sending them the payment from my bank for the ticket and won. However, I still had to pay the 48 from the hire company for the privilege of wrongly being given a parking ticket.

Brittania are saying they won't pay the 48, even though it's their fault I was charged it????

Am I wrong for thinking I should get that money back??
Page 1
    • pogofish
    • By pogofish 5th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 8,483 Posts
    • 8,796 Thanks
    pogofish
    • 5th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 3:15 PM
    Are the company members of the UK trade association - BVRLA?

If so, their COP specifies clearly what members must do with private tickets, which are not fines or penalties, so not covered by the usual T&Cs - and yes, you are right to expect your money back, from the hirer, not Britannia.
    • Umkomaas
    • By Umkomaas 5th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 17,574 Posts
    • 27,785 Thanks
    Umkomaas
    • 5th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 4:23 PM
    @LeahW - acquaint yourself with the procedure the hire company's trade association requires its members to follow, then you'll be in a better position to argue your case.

If your credit card was charged the 48, look to the remedies available via the cc company for a refund.
    We cannot provide you with a silver bullet to get you out of this. You have to be in for the long run, and need to involve yourself in research and work for you to get rid of this. It is not simple. We will help, but can't do it for you.

Give a man a fish, and you feed him for a day; show him how to catch fish, and you feed him for a lifetime.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 5th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 57,422 Posts
    • 71,021 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 5th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 10:07 PM
    What happened when you showed the hire firm that you had the PCN cancelled and asked for a 48 refund?

What happened when you referred the dispute onto the BVRLA to complain about the hire firm's ludicrous 48?

What happened when you put the payment into dispute with your card provider, as it was taken without authority?

This 48 is not for Britannia, or you, to pay. It's to be refunded when you complain properly.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• Half_way
    • By Half_way 5th Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    • 4,116 Posts
    • 5,844 Thanks
    Half_way
    • 5th Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 10:10 PM
    What happened when you complained to the hotel over the actions of their agents, after reminding the Hotel that they are jointly liable for the antics of their parking company?
    From the Plain Language Commission:

"The BPA has surely become one of the most socially dangerous organisations in the UK"
    • LeahW
    • By LeahW 10th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    LeahW
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:27 PM
    What happened when you showed the hire firm that you had the PCN cancelled and asked for a 48 refund?

What happened when you referred the dispute onto the BVRLA to complain about the hire firm's ludicrous 48?

What happened when you put the payment into dispute with your card provider, as it was taken without authority?

This 48 is not for Britannia, or you, to pay. It's to be refunded when you complain properly.
    Originally posted by Coupon-mad
    The company I hired the car from don't care, they are saying it's out of their hands and is with the company they get the car from (I never knew there was a company involved.)
    I have e-mailed to find out who this company are to contact them direct but I have had no reply.

I called the BVRA but because I don't know the actual company, they couldn't help.

The bank initially refunded the 48, but won the dispute with the company I hired the car from so they re-debited my account. But it's not that company who are actually charging the 48, they are just passing on the fine from their company.

It's so confusing, and not very straight forward! urg

I know it's only 48, but it's the principle and it's driving me mad!!
    Last edited by LeahW; 10-04-2018 at 4:33 PM.
    • Weasel_Watcher
    • By Weasel_Watcher 10th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    • 38 Posts
    • 30 Thanks
    Weasel_Watcher
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    • 10th Apr 18, 4:58 PM
    The company I hired the car from don't care, they are saying it's out of their hands and is with the company they get the car from (I never knew there was a company involved.)
    I have e-mailed to find out who this company are to contact them direct but I have had no reply.

I called the BVRA but because I don't know the actual company, they couldn't help.

The bank initially refunded the 48, but won the dispute with the company I hired the car from so they re-debited my account. But it's not that company who are actually charging the 48, they are just passing on the fine from their company.

It's so confusing, and not very straight forward! urg

I know it's only 48, but it's the principle and it's driving me mad!!
    Originally posted by LeahW
    Your contract wasn't with this other company they get the car from, so that's surely irrelevant. You also don't care who they use to fix and service their vehicles or unblock their drains, for that matter.
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 11th Apr 18, 1:11 AM
    • 57,422 Posts
    • 71,021 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:11 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 1:11 AM

I called the BVRLA but because I don't know the actual company, they couldn't help.
    Get your MP involved.

And issue a SAR* to the company you do know, for all paperwork relating to your hire of that vehicle including who supplied it. You must be told who your contract was with.

*Google it - free from mid May!
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,102Posts Today

8,035Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin