Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Polgara72
    • By Polgara72 5th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    • 42Posts
    • 21Thanks
    Polgara72
    ESA Work Capability assessment. Please help
    • 5th Apr 18, 3:03 PM
    ESA Work Capability assessment. Please help 5th Apr 18 at 3:03 PM
    I have moderately severe depression and anxiety. For the past two years I’ve been in the support group for ESA, but I have to attend a WCA in two weeks. I’m terrified. I’ve heard so many horror stories about it. I receive PIP.

Does anyone have any advice or experience that might help please?
Page 3
    • Danday
    • By Danday 10th Apr 18, 5:05 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    It isn!!!8217;t law. End of story. Yes, documents five years old are sometimes valid because of the type of condition. Global developmental delay, motor neurone disease, quadriplegia - for example - are generally not going to benefit from advances in medical science.

But if you wish to deem two years a hard and fast law, go for it.
    Originally posted by Polgara72
    I do and have done for all three past PIP applications. I see it that it must mean something if they specify that time limit.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 10th Apr 18, 5:13 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    Are you being deliberately obtuse? The culmulatibe effect of medication on top of the symptoms of the condition which make activities of daily living extremely difficult, has to be taken into account. Why do you think the DVLA has to be informed of certain medications? You cannot claim for medication alone.

If you came off that combination without medical supervision then you’re a fool as well as obtuse. And are wasting valuable NHS resources.

Oh, and FYI, the PILs are not gospel. They are bound to cover all reported side effects.
    Certainly not. I have never seen on any of the three PIP forms that I have filled in any instruction that I have to describe how the medication affects me. They ask what my conditions are and suggest that I send in a prescription list which I presume is proof that if that type of medication is being prescribed then it is likely that the condition exists.
    No not a fool, just fed up of feeling useless, having no concentration or drive/energy. It was the lessor of the two evils.
    The GP still prescribes them all. I would imagine that if I told him to stop he would want to know what is happening. It's a row I don't want to have.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 10th Apr 18, 5:17 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    I bet he still puts on his claim forms that he takes those medications.

Why else would you continue to get prescriptions for medication you don't take.
    Originally posted by Tommo1980
    No I don't I just send in a copy of the prescription which speaks for itself. I have never said to anyone including the DWP that I have stopped all of the medication. I would be a fool to tell them that.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 10th Apr 18, 5:20 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    Why on earth would you still collect a prescription each month when you don't even take the medication? I've never heard of anything like it! Wasting all that money! That the NHS could put to good use on something else that someone else clearly needs. This just gets worse!
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Look at it from a practical point of view - what would you think that the GP would do if I stopped collecting the monthly prescriptions? I have a very good idea - I would get called to the surgery to explain myself and possibly be removed from the GP's patient list. That and the row I can't afford to have.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 10th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 2,378 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Look at it from a practical point of view - what would you think that the GP would do if I stopped collecting the monthly prescriptions? I have a very good idea - I would get called to the surgery to explain myself and possibly be removed from the GP's patient list. That and the row I can't afford to have.
    Originally posted by Danday
    Absolutely unbelievable
    • Polgara72
    • By Polgara72 10th Apr 18, 6:57 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Polgara72
    No I don't I just send in a copy of the prescription which speaks for itself. I have never said to anyone including the DWP that I have stopped all of the medication. I would be a fool to tell them that.
    So, fraudulent evidence to substantiate a claim?
    • Tommo1980
    • By Tommo1980 10th Apr 18, 7:02 PM
    • 359 Posts
    • 565 Thanks
    Tommo1980
    A. Your GP wouldn't give a rats !!!!.

B. The DWP, however, would be very interested. You are purposely providing inaccurate information to increase your chances of an award. You are also obligated to inform them of any changes.

So now that we have established you are defrauding the system out of 10s of thousands of pounds, perhaps you should drop out of sight for a while.
    • Polgara72
    • By Polgara72 10th Apr 18, 7:09 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Polgara72
    Certainly not. I have never seen on any of the three PIP forms that I have filled in any instruction that I have to describe how the medication affects me. They ask what my conditions are and suggest that I send in a prescription list which I presume is proof that if that type of medication is being prescribed then it is likely that the condition exists.
    Perhaps read the form a little closer? From PIP sample form.

Section 2 - About your health condition or disability continued
    Q2b - Tell us about:
    • tablets or other medication you’re taking or will be taking and the dosage
    • any treatments you’re having or will be having, such as chemotherapy,
    physiotherapy or dialysis
    • any side effects these have on you.
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 10th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    bspm1
    Perhaps read the form a little closer? From PIP sample form.

Section 2 - About your health condition or disability continued
    Q2b - Tell us about:
    • tablets or other medication you’re taking or will be taking and the dosage
    • any treatments you’re having or will be having, such as chemotherapy,
    physiotherapy or dialysis
    • any side effects these have on you.
    Still flogging that dead horse mate. He reads, and adjusts to fit posts.
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 10th Apr 18, 9:48 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    bspm1
    Just making sure this post stays before the next post
    'How do I explain how my medication affects me to DWP'
    Last edited by bspm1; 10-04-2018 at 9:52 PM.
    • Polgara72
    • By Polgara72 10th Apr 18, 10:33 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Polgara72
    Still flogging that dead horse mate. He reads, and adjusts to fit posts.
    Originally posted by bspm1
    I know. Once a decision maker, always a decision maker. Looking at the whole picture rather than the individual conditions was very important to me. I miss my job

It’s also distracted me from the sense of impending doom
    • bspm1
    • By bspm1 10th Apr 18, 11:03 PM
    • 53 Posts
    • 140 Thanks
    bspm1
    I know. Once a decision maker, always a decision maker. Looking at the whole picture rather than the individual conditions was very important to me. I miss my job

It’s also distracted me from the sense of impending doom
    Same here, former civil servant myself too.

Hugs
    • Polgara72
    • By Polgara72 10th Apr 18, 11:13 PM
    • 42 Posts
    • 21 Thanks
    Polgara72
    Same here, former civil servant myself too.

Hugs
    Originally posted by bspm1
    Thank you

If it wasn’t for depression I’d still be there. Now on the ‘other side’..
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Apr 18, 6:41 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    _shel
    I always ask my GP and consultants if they've been contacted and they never have. I've been refused and had to pay my GP for a report to win my appeals.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 14-04-2018 at 1:39 PM. Reason: Quoting deleted post
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Apr 18, 6:47 AM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 2,378 Thanks
    poppy12345
    Thanks! They've never contacted mine either and that's for ESA and PIP, 2 reviews for each of them. Yet they contacted a Consultant for my daughters PIP claim, as well as all the evidence i sent in.
    Last edited by MSE ForumTeam3; 14-04-2018 at 1:39 PM. Reason: Quoting edited post
    • NeilCr
    • By NeilCr 11th Apr 18, 6:54 AM
    • 1,531 Posts
    • 2,016 Thanks
    NeilCr
    What Citizens Advice has to say

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/medical-evidence/

In my experience as a CitA adviser it is usual for the evidence to be sent in by the claimant.

That's not to say that there might not be occasions when DWP do contact the doctor themselves but it's certainly not the norm - that I am aware of.
    • annbarbs
    • By annbarbs 11th Apr 18, 6:55 AM
    • 315 Posts
    • 132 Thanks
    annbarbs
    I can assure you that it's not rubbish! and i do not post misleading information!

I can tell you that they very rarely contact any medical professional for evidence and i'm sure other regular posters will verify what i state here is true!! There's so many people that haven't sent in any evidence and they haven't contacted their GP or anyone, and they've gone onto being refused that benefit. This also includes PIP.
    Originally posted by poppy12345
    Well they did give me my ESA the Support Group. And I did not have to go for a face to face assement because they had enough information on the form and from the medical report from my GP when they wrote to her they said.

I put my GP and CMHT Social workers name and contact details on the form where they asked who to contact regarding my MH Condition.

And they wrote to my GP.

I later found out when I asked the DWP, that they only write to your GP, Psychiatrist or CPN but not social workers.
    Because a social worker is not a medical practitioner they said. Although they will accept any letters from the social worker I put in the claim pack as evidence.

But they only write to consultants, CPNs or GPs. They send them the ESA 113.

It was Maximas who did my ESA assessment which the DWP use.

They most probably did write to your GP in your case and but they don't tell you.

I only knew they did because my GP showed me the form when I went to her.
    Which is a questioner they send to the GP asking them your care needs.

But I got my ESA I am in the Support group.
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Apr 18, 6:59 AM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 2,378 Thanks
    poppy12345
    What Citizens Advice has to say

https://www.citizensadvice.org.uk/benefits/sick-or-disabled-people-and-carers/employment-and-support-allowance/help-with-your-esa-claim/fill-in-form/medical-evidence/

In my experience as a CitA adviser it is usual for the evidence to be sent in by the claimant.

That's not to say that there might not be occasions when DWP do contact the doctor themselves but it's certainly not the norm - that I am aware of.
    Originally posted by NeilCr
    Thanks for that link. I did say in my above post that they rarely contact anyone.
    • _shel
    • By _shel 11th Apr 18, 7:21 AM
    • 1,185 Posts
    • 1,971 Thanks
    _shel
    I've always thought it shocking that I give them details of a psychiatrist, CPN, Support Worker, GP, Neurologist and Ortho consultant and not one contacted! Why bother.
    Thanks to everyone who posts competitions
    • poppy12345
    • By poppy12345 11th Apr 18, 7:42 AM
    • 2,410 Posts
    • 2,378 Thanks
    poppy12345
    I've always thought it shocking that I give them details of a psychiatrist, CPN, Support Worker, GP, Neurologist and Ortho consultant and not one contacted! Why bother.
    Originally posted by _shel
    I agree. I've always given multiple names too but they just never have contacted anyone. I was shocked when they contacted someone from my daughters list. So many people think they will contact people so don't need to send the evidence in.

I really didn't appreciate being told what i said was rubbish and that i was posting misleading information by the OP.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,715Posts Today

7,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin