Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 5th Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    • 1,769Posts
    • 1,641Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Modern washing machines - lack of water
    • 5th Apr 18, 2:55 PM
    Modern washing machines - lack of water 5th Apr 18 at 2:55 PM
    I’ve just got this new washing machine and it doesn’t use enough water. With my old (about 15yo) one, the water would be halfway up the door. This new one doesn’t fill up at all. The clothes are wet but they are never sitting in water. I’ve been reading up and it seems that all the new machines are obsessed with using as little water as possible.

Can I pour more water through the drawer to fill it up? Or would the machine just drain that? It’s really not satisfying to watch and I keep thinking that there’s no way it could rinse things properly using so little water. Now I’m worrying my clothes will start to rot.
Page 2
    • jack_pott
    • By jack_pott 9th Apr 18, 12:11 AM
    • 4,653 Posts
    • 6,017 Thanks
    jack_pott
    What make is it?

Have you checked for reviews saying the same as you're experiencing?

Is it plumbed in properly?
    My sis's ex plumbed their new one in wrong, can't remember exactly what he did but my sis had the engineer out and he told her that.
    Originally posted by Pollycat
    An Indesit. Yes it's plumbed in correctly (if you have the standpipe too low, that will stop it filling to the correct level).
    I'm not upset that you lied to me, I'm upset that from now on I can't believe you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche
    • ripplyuk
    • By ripplyuk 10th Apr 18, 11:16 AM
    • 1,769 Posts
    • 1,641 Thanks
    ripplyuk
    Just to update, the ‘baby’ wash program is much more satisfactory. It uses far more water and the clothes are clearly sopping wet. I’ll just use that for everything

Mine is a Hotpoint ‘smart tech’ and I still wouldn’t recommend it. The rubber seal has an indent at the bottom which stays full of water after it’s finished. Mould would soon grow, so I have to manually soak this up with kitchen towels after every wash. It also has the most aggressive wool wash I’ve ever seen. On the plus side, it doesn’t insist on washing everything in cold temperatures. It seems to have a default of 60 degrees on most settings.

I’m sure the Miele ones are good but I wouldn’t buy anything else from them after experiencing their customer service recently with my vacuum cleaner. Even if I could afford one!
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 29th Apr 18, 6:27 PM
    • 20,720 Posts
    • 55,796 Thanks
    Pollycat
    Just to update, the ‘baby’ wash program is much more satisfactory. It uses far more water and the clothes are clearly sopping wet. I’ll just use that for everything

Mine is a Hotpoint ‘smart tech’ and I still wouldn’t recommend it. The rubber seal has an indent at the bottom which stays full of water after it’s finished. Mould would soon grow, so I have to manually soak this up with kitchen towels after every wash. It also has the most aggressive wool wash I’ve ever seen. On the plus side, it doesn’t insist on washing everything in cold temperatures. It seems to have a default of 60 degrees on most settings.

I’m sure the Miele ones are good but I wouldn’t buy anything else from them after experiencing their customer service recently with my vacuum cleaner. Even if I could afford one!
    Originally posted by ripplyuk
    Just to comment on the bit in bold:
    I've washed 5 jumpers/cardigans today in my Bosch machine,
    2 100% cashmere, 1 100% lambswool, 2 100% wool.

And yes, it did look an aggressive wash.
    At times.
    But it wasn't full-on aggressive all the time.

4 of the items have been washed before - in said Bosch machine - 1
    for the first time, the others for at least the 3rd time.

All are just as good when they came out as they were when they went in,

I really do think you should stop thinking about what you believe an automatic machine should wash like and leave it to do the job it was designed to do.
    • suki1964
    • By suki1964 29th Apr 18, 8:26 PM
    • 11,289 Posts
    • 30,206 Thanks
    suki1964

Originally posted by ripplyuk
    seriously you are using kitchen towel to mop up water?

I always use the next wash. As I load I mop up the puddle

My machine is used at least every three days, not had mould grow yet
    if you lend someone £20 and never see that person again, it was probably worth it
    • JackieO
    • By JackieO 30th Apr 18, 8:27 AM
    • 16,264 Posts
    • 138,818 Thanks
    JackieO
    I have a daily wash programme on mine and its for worn once clothes and it lasts 30 minutes pretty good and I am happy the only downside perhaps is it doesn't spin as well on that particular wash but a 12 minute spin and rinse one straight afterwards soon sorts it out and my clothes are ready to hang on the line in under 45 minutes.Apart from sheets and towels its the only wash programme I use as I am never very grimy at all and my clothes are only worn once anyway .I wear an apron when cleaning or cooking Yes I am that old

JackieO xx
    Quot Libros,Quam Breve Tempus. 2018
    Half year totals = £166.19. July added equals £204 .29,Todays August food shop added equals £227.75
    1st Sept £34.66:15th Sept £34.44 totals £262.19
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

185Posts Today

1,019Users online

Martin's Twitter