Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Natasha123
    • By Natasha123 5th Apr 18, 1:35 PM
    • 10Posts
    • 2Thanks
    Natasha123
    Claim Form has arrived in post- what are my options?
    • 5th Apr 18, 1:35 PM
    Claim Form has arrived in post- what are my options? 5th Apr 18 at 1:35 PM
    4 years ago I was living in a block of flats which used a private company (UKPC) to patrol the car park and give tickets to anyone who wasn't displaying their permit.

I had a number of instances where I wasn't displaying my permit, some from before I was given the permit and some from when I misplaced the permit.

When i got the first ticket i did contact them by phone but was told i had no case for appeal as i was parked there without a permit, despite the signs making it clear i needed to splay permit.

i felt it was a total injustice and following advice i read online i ignored all further communications, and all further tickets.

it all went quiet for a number of years until i received a 'letter before claim' from SCS Law, requesting 1120 for unpaid tickets. i ignored that too and now I've got letter from the court.

Do i now just need to pay them the 1120 plus the 150 costs? There are 7 tickets they are claiming for

problems-
    1) i dont have any of the photographic evidence and now its been passed to court they said they dont have them available to resend to me...and I'm not sure they would help anyway

2) i dont have anything in writing around which space was mine, this wasnt covered in contract

3) all the details are very hazy as it was so long ago

4) I've spoken with the building management who have said that as so much time has lapsed they cant do anything to help get the tickets cancelled

another query- if i pay it now i dont get a CCJ- is that correct? if i let it go to court and i lose the case do i then have the option to pay it and prevent getting a CCJ? Or by that point is the CCJ non contestable?

to throw another spanner in the works i now only have 2 days remaining to send the forms back to the court as I've spent the past week trying to find a way out of this....

thanks in advance
Page 2
    • Natasha123
    • By Natasha123 9th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 10 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Natasha123
    thanks, do i take this to mean if it says nothing in the lease about a parking space then i will have issues, but if the lease states I'm entitled to a parking space (but doesn't specify the exact space number) then i will have a case?
    what else should i be looking out for in my contract?

thanks
    • Coupon-mad
    • By Coupon-mad 9th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 60,110 Posts
    • 73,256 Thanks
    Coupon-mad
    Look for anything that gives the landowner a right to introduce 'regulations' for the convenience of residents/for the proper management of the site (or similar).

Read Link v Blaney, a well-known case lost:

https://padi.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/articles/115004207805-Tenants-Link-v-Blaney-C9GF03Q9

Compare it to Link v Parkinson and Pace Recovery v Mr N similar cases won:

http://www.parking-prankster.com/case-law.html

You can also read Jopson v Homeguard there, and Pace v Lengyel is good, too. Second page:

http://www.parking-prankster.com/more-case-law.html
    Last edited by Coupon-mad; 17-04-2018 at 12:01 AM.
    PRIVATE PCN? DON'T PAY BUT DO NOT IGNORE IT TWO Clicks needed for advice:
    Top of the page: Home>>Forums>Household & Travel>Motoring>Parking Tickets, Fines & Parking - read the 'NEWBIES' FAQS thread!
    Advice to ignore is WRONG, unless in Scotland/NI.

• redrabbit17
    • By redrabbit17 16th Apr 18, 8:07 PM
    • 7 Posts
    • 4 Thanks
    redrabbit17
    Mine is a similar case and I'm drafting my defence now but the guys from the letting agency are not being helpful and allowing me a copy of the lease. It briefly mentioned 'must park in designated bays' in my tenancy agreement and I was given a numbered permit which I have photographic proof of. It was a few years ago and I am no longer a customer of theirs. Can I still mention 'Primacy of contract' in my defence without a solid copy of the original leasehold documents?
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    • 36,872 Posts
    • 21,005 Thanks
    Quentin
    Don't keep hijacking others threads

If you have questions not covered by the newbies FAQ thread start your own thread
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,681Posts Today

8,643Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin