Confession Day

Options

Comments

• enthusiasticsaver
    enthusiasticsaver Posts: 15,594 Ambassador
    First Anniversary First Post Name Dropper I've been Money Tipped!
    Options
    Scoops672 wrote: »
    I've just used a mortgage calculator to work out how much I'd pay back if I put the cc on remortgage and I'd save quite a bit when I compare the interest rates. My monthly cc payments would be halved. However, I'm not sure if the interest is worked out differently for mge and cc, as I just used mse calculator to get a rough idea.

You would pay it off over a much longer period if it went on the mortgage so overall it would be more expensive. It will reduce monthly payments though but I would not have thought your DH would agree. I personally would not do it. I think it would have to be upping income by going back to work full time or a DMP.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • Storm89
    Storm89 Posts: 592 Forumite
    Options
    Hi :)
    Good luck today I really hope it goes ok. It's the first day of a new chapter whatever is done today there will be a decision made on how to go about tackling the debt. Will be rooting for you !
  • Scoops672
    Scoops672 Posts: 6 Forumite
    Options
    Update - DH has now had to listen as I did try to talk to him again before the meeting. Our mortgage is sorted and fixed for the next 4 years - we only have 10 years left to pay on it. We got an amazing 2.59% fixed rate with payments reducing by £100pm. Though DH wants to continue to overpay to reduce even further (I can't afford to I've said). I asked the bank about potential to consolidate my cc on mortgage - we can pay an extra 10% of the balance each year, during the 4 fixed rate years which could potentially clear my debt in 4 years for the cards - I'm already paying £500ish per month on cc, so even dropping to £300 pm over 4 years (on top of paying the 'normal' mortgage) with 4 extra 10% payments would possibly put us completely straight at the end of the 4 year fixed period. I need to look more closely at the figures now. I was honest and upfront in the bank, much to the disgust of DH who has already refused to agree to help me, but the house and equity are half mine at the end of the day as I have contributed half of the mortgage throughout the past 10 years (I haven't said that but the thought gives me comfort). He said I should just spend the next 30 years paying it off myself since I ran it up. Meanwhile, toady we found out hmrc are now after him for him not declaring income on a property he rents out (but it's less than £5k profit a year so he thinks he's ok not to declare it as he says he asked HMRC years ago about it when he first rented it out.) So, whilst my debts are stupid and reckless, I'm up to date with HMRC and ALL payments to my creditors, and have NEVER yet defaulted on any payments. I've told him how tight my budget is as he's suggested I swap accounts to his bank to do some savings - at which I fell over laughing - as every penny I have it accounted for. I also pointed out to him that I've had these debts since we met (I had a £25k loan and other credit cards I've paid off in the past - just swapping one debt for another though) so I don't even know why he's so surprised - they've just got out of control due to a drop in my income and me trying to maintain my previous standard of living - so yes, it's been day to day stuff. But I'm still paying my bills. My credit score is 583 on nod, I've yet to check the other 2 agencies but I'll be doing that next week.

Thanks so much for your advice and kind words everyone, I feel better that our home is secure for the foreseeable. He's mad at me but we are currently still married. I'm going away for the weekend so he can have some space to mull things over. I'm not asking him to pay them for me - I'm wanting to pay them myself - like I always have done - but I just need some help and direction before I get into any serious difficulties. I am looking at a return to full time teaching, which is against my better judgement as my mental health really suffered in it around the time of my dad's death - DH even pooh poohed me getting private bereavement counselling. He did however, support me in going self employed, for which I am forever grateful, as it's given me chance to get on an emotional even keel. Highly likely I'll end up down the DMP route though - but for now, all bils are paid (I've even managed a payment for my outstanding £700 so that's now £350 to get paid next week) and I've been working my a@@ off to get the next lot of cash for the next set of bills!

I will have a go at the SOA after the weekend, and post on here when I've done it. It's on paper ATM. Enjoy your weekends and huge thanks again. Not no where near as disastrous as I expected and I feel a huge sense of relief that out mortgage is sorted to DHs satisfaction.
  • Scoops672
    Options
    Ps, I am actually on board with his desire to be debt free - I'm just at a different staring point to him!
  • Scoops672
    Options
    Enthusiastic - thanks so much for the direct answers to my question x
  • One-step-at-a-time
    Options
    Well done on getting through the day, that must be a huge huge relief! :)
    Scoops672 wrote: »
    Meanwhile, toady we found out hmrc are now after him for him not declaring income on a property he rents out (but it's less than £5k profit a year so he thinks he's ok not to declare it as he says he asked HMRC years ago about it when he first rented it out.)

I just want to flag this bit as I have experience of something similar, with a similar amount of profit (mine was a stupid legal paperwork mistake and I told them about it upfront rather than them coming to me).
    Based on conversations I have had, unless he's been below the personal income allowance threshold all this time they will want the tax on any profit, can go back up to 19 years, and are entitled to charge penalties of 20% to 100% (depending on how they interpret the behaviour of not declaring) plus interest (at approx 3% per year, paid on the tax but not the penalty amount).
    Debt-free August 21, Mortgage-neutral April 24
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Glad it is all in the open now and whatever you decide to do good luck with clearing the debt. You sound very positive so I am sure you will find a way to sort it. Bit :eek: at your DHs attitude though and a little bit pleased HMRC have caught up with him. Pride goes before a fall ;) Serves him right for being so judgemental.
    I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the Debt free Wannabe, Budgeting and Banking and Savings and Investment boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.
  • elsien
    elsien Posts: 32,735 Forumite
    Name Dropper Photogenic First Anniversary First Post
    Options
    Have any of the debts accumulated on what should be joint expenses - neccessary house stuff, food, essentials for the kids? Is the joint account enough to pay for everything needed or are you topping it up to maintain both your lifestyles? If it's the latter, I do think your OH should take some responsibility as well. Particularly if you don't want the same thing to happen again in future.
    All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

Pedant alert - it's could have, not could of.
  • enthusiasticsaver
    Options
    Can you get a 0% card to move one of those credit cards? Try the soft eligibility checker on the MSE website so it does not leave a record.
  • ladymay
    ladymay Posts: 1,126 Forumite
    First Post First Anniversary Combo Breaker Debt-free and Proud!
    Options
    Firstly, I want to say WELL DONE for recognising your situation and congratulations for taking the first steps into getting your finances in order. I'm sorry you don't have the support of your OH but you will definitely find support and advice (and sometimes a very gentle telling off!) here.

I wish you all the luck and determination in the world, lovely x
    2019 Aim: Save £10,000
    Don't sacrifice what you want most for what you want now
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608K Mortgages, Homes & Bills