Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • kellylight
    • By kellylight 4th Apr 18, 6:44 PM
    • 32Posts
    • 8Thanks
    kellylight
    0 WOW
    Luggage?
    • 4th Apr 18, 6:44 PM
    0 WOW
    Luggage? 4th Apr 18 at 6:44 PM
    Hi there, we are going on holiday in June and I am looking to buy some new suitcases. Looking for lightweight, inexpensive medium sized suitcases. Any recommendations?

Also, do you think 2 medium sized suitcase along with hand luggage would be enough for a family of 5 (kids ages, 1,5 and 12) for 10 nights?
Page 1
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 4th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 4th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 7:49 PM
    IT luggage is fairly inexpensive and lightweight. The second part of your question is relative to how many changes of clothes you want so I cam't answer that for you. I suppose you will need all the changing gear for the one year old which will take up part of hand luggage on its own. What about towels, they are quite heavy and bulky?
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 4th Apr 18, 11:57 PM
    • 5,674 Posts
    • 5,003 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 4th Apr 18, 11:57 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 11:57 PM
    5* hotel, posh restaurants?
    or self-catering and all day in swimmers and shorts etc?
    going to do some laundry (or use a service) or want 20 sets of clothes each?
    no-one can answer without the full picture!
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • photome
    • By photome 5th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 13,482 Posts
    • 8,995 Thanks
    photome
    • 5th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    • 5th Apr 18, 6:35 AM
    tripp , from debenhams or direct from tripp, been using them for years on many long haul trips, good quality good gtee.

no idea about the second part, only you know how much "stuff" you will be taking
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 5th Apr 18, 7:44 AM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    pattycake
    • 5th Apr 18, 7:44 AM
    • 5th Apr 18, 7:44 AM
    I have Kipling luggage. Lightweight although not cheap but there are often deals on Amazon.

I must admit I take 2 cases for two of us. Unless you are going to be spending your holiday washing stuff, take another case IMHO.
    • kellylight
    • By kellylight 5th Apr 18, 9:27 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    kellylight
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:27 AM
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:27 AM
    Ok, airbnb apartment and there is a washing machine so I will do a bit of washing but not much. I'm not a 'capsule wardrobe' type but nor do I need a walk in wardrobe. I'm a flip flops, sandals and possibly one pair of comfy heels type.
    • Placitasgirl
    • By Placitasgirl 5th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 278 Posts
    • 456 Thanks
    Placitasgirl
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    We were very disappointed with the Tripp luggage we purchased a couple of years ago. We travel lots so our luggage does take a bit of a hammering, but from experience we wouldn't by them again.

I am however really happy with the IT luggage I bought from Matalan to replace them; looks good, is lightweight and roomy and seems to be coping with being used lots extremely well.
    • pattycake
    • By pattycake 5th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 1,234 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    pattycake
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:38 AM
    Donít forget toiletries! My lotions and potions fill half a caseUnless you intend to buy airside or in resort.
    • mgdavid
    • By mgdavid 5th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    • 5,674 Posts
    • 5,003 Thanks
    mgdavid
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:47 AM
    Ok, airbnb apartment and there is a washing machine so I will do a bit of washing but not much. I'm not a 'capsule wardrobe' type but nor do I need a walk in wardrobe. I'm a flip flops, sandals and possibly one pair of comfy heels type.
    Originally posted by kellylight
    OK that's you - what about the other 4 people?
    The questions that get the best answers are the questions that give most detail....
    • kellylight
    • By kellylight 5th Apr 18, 11:31 AM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    kellylight
    My husband will take very little and the kids take kids amount of stuff?!
    • NoodleDoodleMan
    • By NoodleDoodleMan 5th Apr 18, 12:11 PM
    • 608 Posts
    • 193 Thanks
    NoodleDoodleMan
    Another endorsement for IT luggage - used it for years.

Our cases have endured "battle damage" but are still perfectly servicable.

One time the moulded plastic foot from hand luggage came adrift and the company sent a replacement with the fixing screw, all sorted.

Once had an issue with Thomsons over damaged luggage (broken into) from Egypt - they insisted on purchase receipts to replace new. We eventually got an estimated 50% payment from them based on photopraphic evidence that proved the damage was deliberate.

So, bottom line - good idea to keep luggage receipts.
    Last edited by NoodleDoodleMan; 05-04-2018 at 7:59 PM.
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 5th Apr 18, 1:36 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    stevie11
    Another endorsement for IT luggage - used it for years.

Our cases have endured "battle damage" but are still perfectly servicable.
    Originally posted by NoodleDoodleMan
    Sounds similar to our TI luggage. Our 2 must be about 5 or 6 years old and get through at least 3 trips a year plus what other family members use. They are not the most robust of cases but convenient because of the weight. Ours have a few minor scratches or small tears, badges wripped off and one wheel is wonky. Definietely had the moneys worth from them, we only paid about £30 each from tesco.
    • maman
    • By maman 5th Apr 18, 6:06 PM
    • 18,443 Posts
    • 110,072 Thanks
    maman
    We've got both IT (carry on) and Tripp (suitcases) and I'm happy with both. We've also got a Samsonite carry on which is great but if you don't travel that often then I wouldn't think it's worth paying extra.

If you don't need suitcases that often then you could borrow from friends or family (my suitcase is in NYC at the moment!).

If you are buying then I'd recommend cases with 4 wheels rather than 2 as they are so much easier to manoeuvre in queues etc.

As you're not doing a package holiday then you probably have to pay per hold bag so I can see why you'd want to limit it to a minimum.

You don't say where you're going but if it's somewhere warm then you really won't need that much. I'd encourage the older children to have backpacks as well as you and your OH. They can carry their own books,toys and games and other bits in there.
    • bagand96
    • By bagand96 5th Apr 18, 6:59 PM
    • 2,899 Posts
    • 1,810 Thanks
    bagand96
    Another recommendation for Tripp. Good luggage and decent prices when on sale in Debemhams (which is always - it's like DFS!) But do keep an eye out as sometimes the offers are better than others - blue cross events for example.

Their guarantee is excellent in my experience. Had two very small issues and Debenhams have swapped old for new without quibble.
    • Pollycat
    • By Pollycat 5th Apr 18, 7:32 PM
    • 20,720 Posts
    • 55,795 Thanks
    Pollycat
    My husband will take very little and the kids take kids amount of stuff?!
    Originally posted by kellylight
    Get all your stuff out and pile into suitcase-sized heaps and decide if you can get away with 2 cases or if you need 3.

Will each case weigh 15kg or 20kg?

We have 30kg hold luggage for 3 weeks but we'll take less than 20kg each.
    • LunaaLouuby
    • By LunaaLouuby 6th Apr 18, 9:03 AM
    • 29 Posts
    • 20 Thanks
    LunaaLouuby
    Interesting to see all the good feedback for IT suitcases, I've always worried that they would be too fragile.
    Ours are from Wilkinsons, love the fact that they have 4 wheels.
    • Cisco001
    • By Cisco001 6th Apr 18, 1:57 PM
    • 2,831 Posts
    • 1,204 Thanks
    Cisco001
    I recently purchase IT Luggage Frameless 8 Wheel Suitcase
    They seems good quality.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=IT+Luggage+Frameless+8+Wheel+Suitcase+med ium&rlz=1C1GCEA_enGB774GB774&source=lnms&tbm=shop& sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi71ceq2aXaAhXEsaQKHdT-DisQ_AUICigB&biw=1225&bih=535
    • kellylight
    • By kellylight 9th Apr 18, 12:27 PM
    • 32 Posts
    • 8 Thanks
    kellylight
    I just bought some IT luggage from Matalan, a medium frameless and a medium lite soft. Both half price, very pleased! Thanks for your suggestions everyone. Now to start making lists of what to put in them ( rubs hands together with glee!)
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 9th Apr 18, 12:37 PM
    • 489 Posts
    • 251 Thanks
    stevie11
    Good choice at the price, you should get a few years of holidays with those.

Have a good time.
    • jackomdj
    • By jackomdj 9th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 2,871 Posts
    • 3,573 Thanks
    jackomdj
    Personally I would go for 3 cases, but mix it across the 3 (in case one goes missing). Your eldest can help with one case, so 3 is one each.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

143Posts Today

1,535Users online

Martin's Twitter