Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 4th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    • 5,293Posts
    • 7,426Thanks
    deannatrois
    Mandatory Reconsideration for PIP - 28 days
    • 4th Apr 18, 6:14 PM
    Mandatory Reconsideration for PIP - 28 days 4th Apr 18 at 6:14 PM
    Just so no one else gets caught out like I have. You have 30 days to request a MR.., but only 28 days to get the MR letter to the DWP.

I've had two phone calls with ESA - checked i had until the 12th to get the MR Letter to them, was told yes. Now its the 8th (MR was requested on 12th March). Just counted the days, its actually the 9th unless I am totally incapable of counting 28.

So another melt down on the phone. Wasn't rude but was very upset, I lost it.

So 36 hours of no sleep in front of me while I try to refute the 30 page PA4 report and its endless errors (won't say lies of course). Been ill with not able to breath (wheezing non stop had to call an ambulance at one point) due to asthma/chest infection for nearly 3 weeks - they could hear me coughing endlessly on the phone but you can't get an extension. I have started the letter but with the amount of information I need to absorb to do it properly (even knowing only 20% get changed decisions, I still have to do it properly cause will also affect appeal). I have started but long way to go yet.

Was told I could submit a second MR but doubt its that easy. I assume you have to have new evidence or something.

I don't want to make the MR too long. If I go through the PA4 report line by line its going to be about 5 pages long. Is this ok? I'm trying to show the inconsistencies, things not reported that are pertinent and the assumptions not based on any evidence. Or am I wrong with this too? Genuine question.
    Last edited by deannatrois; 04-04-2018 at 7:00 PM.
Page 2
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 5th Apr 18, 7:33 PM
    • 5,293 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Yay its done lol.

I know its only 20% success with MR.., but its done now. I will get help with the appeal.
    • Ames
    • By Ames 5th Apr 18, 8:24 PM
    • 17,139 Posts
    • 30,123 Thanks
    Ames
    Thank you Neil, I am only writing about the criteria I disagree with.

To Ames.., Oops so that means no communication at all with Social services. I haven't even received confirmation of receipt. So no back up from person who was at the interview which is not going to help. Bit of a bummer but nothing I can do.

Obviously I wanted the case closed but didn't expect all doors to be shut in my face so soundly. Doesn't seem right when I have done nothing wrong. Really wishing I'd not had anything to do with them at all.
    Originally posted by deannatrois
    I could be wrong about why they're not contacting you, but if you're not getting any response at all it makes sense.

When you've had chance to recover from the MR, look into how you get referred back to social services, hopefully when you're back into the system they'll be able to get info from the old social worker. It sounds like a complaint is in order too for the way they treated you over the kitchen and bathroom. (I totally sympathise by the way, when I moved here they did a new bathroom and it took me months to get over the stress).

Yay its done lol.

I know its only 20% success with MR.., but its done now. I will get help with the appeal.
    20% could be worse. If there was a 20% chance of winning the lottery I'd buy a ticket!
    Unless I say otherwise 'you' means the general you not you specifically.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 6th Apr 18, 7:59 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    I could be wrong about why they're not contacting you, but if you're not getting any response at all it makes sense.

When you've had chance to recover from the MR, look into how you get referred back to social services, hopefully when you're back into the system they'll be able to get info from the old social worker. It sounds like a complaint is in order too for the way they treated you over the kitchen and bathroom. (I totally sympathise by the way, when I moved here they did a new bathroom and it took me months to get over the stress).

20% could be worse. If there was a 20% chance of winning the lottery I'd buy a ticket!
    Originally posted by Ames
    But would you rob a bank if there was a 20% chance of being caught? Or put it another way - a 20% chance of getting a way with it?

Everything is relative.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 6th Apr 18, 9:19 PM
    • 5,293 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Entirely different things. Robbing a bank is illegal, wrong and as such carries a penalty of prison. Winning the lottery carries rather less risk lol.

I am actually feeling a lot happier and more capable since I told SS's to close the case. They didn't actually manage to help with anything. Nothing went well (not their fault, just too heavy workload, I couldn't get Housing to do things but neither did SS's). But the attitude they had was very negative and to be frank, discriminatory, and didn't help at all. Just told my ex who said I was stupid and mad for saying no to the kitchen (which wasn't what I was told it would be at all, I can do much better) that that attitude is why we are no longer together. I understand why he said it of course, but I think it is rather derogatory as well. Feel a lot better lol. It will take time, and god knows how I pay for it but I will make it happen somehow, and it will be one that actually meets my needs.I'd rather have fally apart cupboards that I can reach and enough of them, than a smart kitchen with not enough cupboards I can't use. If I can put in a smart bathroom with tiles and new bath, working shower, repair damp walls etc for 300 I can do a kitchen (done one before but had a bit more money).
    Last edited by deannatrois; 06-04-2018 at 9:23 PM.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 6th Apr 18, 11:26 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    Entirely different things. Robbing a bank is illegal, wrong and as such carries a penalty of prison. Winning the lottery carries rather less risk lol.

I am actually feeling a lot happier and more capable since I told SS's to close the case. They didn't actually manage to help with anything. Nothing went well (not their fault, just too heavy workload, I couldn't get Housing to do things but neither did SS's). But the attitude they had was very negative and to be frank, discriminatory, and didn't help at all. Just told my ex who said I was stupid and mad for saying no to the kitchen (which wasn't what I was told it would be at all, I can do much better) that that attitude is why we are no longer together. I understand why he said it of course, but I think it is rather derogatory as well. Feel a lot better lol. It will take time, and god knows how I pay for it but I will make it happen somehow, and it will be one that actually meets my needs.I'd rather have fally apart cupboards that I can reach and enough of them, than a smart kitchen with not enough cupboards I can't use. If I can put in a smart bathroom with tiles and new bath, working shower, repair damp walls etc for 300 I can do a kitchen (done one before but had a bit more money).
    Good on you!!!
    With an attitude like that there is no doubt that in time you could achieve anything. Pity that there aren't more people around that have that 'can do' way of thinking. So pleased for you.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 7th Apr 18, 11:40 AM
    • 5,293 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    deannatrois
    Thank you. Social services are 'good people' but just not for me lolol.

I'm starting on renovating the downstairs bathroom (guest) which I can do for minimum cost. I have to wait til probationary tenancy is over before can start on kitchen - June here I come lol.

So nice to get rid of the badly applied swirly plaster coating (lots of water so doesn't affect my asthma) and horrible purple paint. Back killing me but I don't care. Hot water bottles when I can't stand it anymore. I can do this. And no ex taking over ignoring the fact that before he arrived I had been totally able to do whatever DIY needed doing (moved and reinstalled a kitchen twice by then).

I'm gonna have fun! This is the old me again, it hurts more to do stuff I used to do but that's just the way it goes.
    • Danday
    • By Danday 7th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 346 Posts
    • 59 Thanks
    Danday
    Thank you. Social services are 'good people' but just not for me lolol.

I'm starting on renovating the downstairs bathroom (guest) which I can do for minimum cost. I have to wait til probationary tenancy is over before can start on kitchen - June here I come lol.

So nice to get rid of the badly applied swirly plaster coating (lots of water so doesn't affect my asthma) and horrible purple paint. Back killing me but I don't care. Hot water bottles when I can't stand it anymore. I can do this. And no ex taking over ignoring the fact that before he arrived I had been totally able to do whatever DIY needed doing (moved and reinstalled a kitchen twice by then).

I'm gonna have fun! This is the old me again, it hurts more to do stuff I used to do but that's just the way it goes.
    You could trade as a handyman and charge in the future.
    As for Social Services, yes most are well meaning people, but of the times when I needed them most, on some occasions they were lacking - it is the system I believe that is wrong.
    • deannatrois
    • By deannatrois 16th Apr 18, 3:33 PM
    • 5,293 Posts
    • 7,426 Thanks
    deannatrois
    I have to be honest, I'm pretty annoyed about the social services set up. It just seems wrong that they put you in a situation that is the kind of thing you were referred for (getting overwhelmed when speaking to people, particularly multiple peoples) and then tell you you have to cope like its your fault when you can't. Its not something I switch on. I explained this in emails to them.., not a single reply. So its never going to change.

I did get the bathroom stripped (its 2m by 1m so not huge) but very much with the help of gritted teeth. But there was a health cost unfortunately. Oh well, its done now.
    • Michaelw
    • By Michaelw 21st Apr 18, 3:02 PM
    • 144 Posts
    • 46 Thanks
    Michaelw
    It is worh noting the case regaring appeals timescales.

https://www.theguardian.com/society/2017/aug/04/uk-judges-rule-dwp-wrong-to-deny-appeals-over-refused-benefits

Its a very stressful time dealing with the DWP.Afer a recent hospitalisation because of stress I was forced to reclaim Jobseekers Allowance because of an ESA catastrophe over lost certificates exe.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,234Posts Today

9,934Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin