Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • shropshirelady
    • By shropshirelady 4th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    • 30Posts
    • 25Thanks
    shropshirelady
    Mobile app/one time passcode
    • 4th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    Mobile app/one time passcode 4th Apr 18 at 5:34 PM
    Can anyone advise please? I tried to make a payment from my Santander account, to a regular payee but not the same amount each month. I've been doing this for years, but now it won't let me pay without a 'one time passcode'. I queried this as I don't want a mobile app. They've now answered saying these are the regulations now and I have to register a mobile to my account to be able to make payments. Any idea what this is about?
Page 1
    • AirlieBird
    • By AirlieBird 4th Apr 18, 6:04 PM
    • 1,039 Posts
    • 849 Thanks
    AirlieBird
    • 4th Apr 18, 6:04 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 6:04 PM
    I assume this would be how they are implementing the strong customer authentication requirements of PSD2. This requires the payment service provider to confirm your identify by two of three different methods: something you know (PIN, password), something you possess (card, mobile), something you are (biometrics). Additionally certain remote payments require a code linked to the value and payee.

However, the technical standards for this have only just been released and are not compulsory until September 2019. Further, remote transfers to an already approved payee are exempt from SCA.
    Did you really mean to put loose?
    Lose: no longer possess, not to retain, unable to find
    Loose: not firmly or tightly fixed in place
    • shropshirelady
    • By shropshirelady 4th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 30 Posts
    • 25 Thanks
    shropshirelady
    • 4th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    I assume this would be how they are implementing the strong customer authentication requirements of PSD2. This requires the payment service provider to confirm your identify by two of three different methods: something you know (PIN, password), something you possess (card, mobile), something you are (biometrics). Additionally certain remote payments require a code linked to the value and payee.

However, the technical standards for this have only just been released and are not compulsory until September 2019. Further, remote transfers to an already approved payee are exempt from SCA.
    Originally posted by AirlieBird
    Thanks for that. I already put two passwords in before getting to my account, and I've only got to pay just over 10. Interesting that it's not compulsory yet. I've been paying this payee every month for as long as I've had the account (10 years plus). I don't want a mobile app and the signal where I live is very bad, and I'd probably miss the passcode due to the phone not ringing.
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 4th Apr 18, 6:39 PM
    • 2,953 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 4th Apr 18, 6:39 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 6:39 PM
    they have been warning us about this.

But you don't need an App or Smart phone, just a phone capable of receiving text messages. Nothing to worry about.

Might still work with a poor signal.

And should only request the OTPC every now and then.

It's a much easier system than a card reader that Barclays, Nationwide etc use.
    Last edited by AndyPK; 04-04-2018 at 6:42 PM.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 4th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 2,202 Posts
    • 2,079 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    • 4th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 6:41 PM
    You don't need the mobile app. The OTP is sent as a text message to your phone. The message contains a code that you have a limited amount of time to enter into the website to complete the transaction.
    • Apples92
    • By Apples92 14th May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Apples92
    • 14th May 18, 5:33 PM
    • 14th May 18, 5:33 PM
    This is a real problem for me - I have very poor mobile signal at home (emergency calls only) so can no longer make any payments to regular transferees (my other bank account/children) and today I couldn't use cr card online without a OTP!. By the time I've got far away enough to get a signal and got back home the page has expired. Don't know why they can't send code to landline which HMRC do or provide an alternative like HSBC-Nat West do. Only way to make payments is telephone banking (landline) but they use exactly the same security details I'd have typed in for online banking. Call centre staff sympathetic and logged complaint by got standard letter back from Santander saying if I didnt like it I could go to the Ombudsman. Will probably close accounts..... but it is so irritating to have to do that.
    • Apples92
    • By Apples92 14th May 18, 5:37 PM
    • 2 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Apples92
    • 14th May 18, 5:37 PM
    • 14th May 18, 5:37 PM
    they have been warning us about this.

But you don't need an App or Smart phone, just a phone capable of receiving text messages. Nothing to worry about.

Might still work with a poor signal.

And should only request the OTPC every now and then.

It's a much easier system than a card reader that Barclays, Nationwide etc use.
    Originally posted by AndyPK
    There are still parts of the country without signal , Santander are writing off customers like me. I can't even get texts at home. The card reader - or sending code to landline would enable the account to be used
    • AndyPK
    • By AndyPK 14th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 2,953 Posts
    • 829 Thanks
    AndyPK
    • 14th May 18, 6:30 PM
    • 14th May 18, 6:30 PM
    I recommend you get a second account if you can't get a mobile signal at home

Lloyds send OTP codes to landlines. And I guess Bank of Scotland would too
    • Dobbibill
    • By Dobbibill 14th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 3,213 Posts
    • 4,109 Thanks
    Dobbibill
    • 14th May 18, 8:47 PM
    • 14th May 18, 8:47 PM
    Will probably close accounts..... but it is so irritating to have to do that.
    Originally posted by Apples92
    Don't just close it, switch it and get an incentive.
    With the problems you have though you may be better to consider a bank that does use a card reader rather than a OTP to a mobile.
    I'm a Board Guide on the Energy, Student Money Saving, UK Armed Forces and
    Local Money Saving - Wales boards. I'm a volunteer to help the boards run smoothly, and I can move and merge posts there.
    Board guides are not moderators and don't read every post. If you spot an abusive or illegal post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. Any views are mine and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.com.

It's not about being the best -
    It's about being better than you were yesterday.
    • EssexExile
    • By EssexExile 14th May 18, 9:58 PM
    • 2,930 Posts
    • 2,036 Thanks
    EssexExile
    You can receive OTPs on a landline.
    Tall, dark & handsome. Well two out of three ain't bad.
    • OceanSound
    • By OceanSound 15th May 18, 2:51 AM
    • 293 Posts
    • 37 Thanks
    OceanSound
    Nationwide and hsbc use card reader. Halifax Will call you on your designated number (landline/mobile) and give code via audio for things like setting up new payee.

santander is very heavy on sms. Best to switch banks.
    • EarthBoy
    • By EarthBoy 15th May 18, 7:40 AM
    • 1,900 Posts
    • 1,206 Thanks
    EarthBoy
    Nationwide and hsbc use card reader. .
    Originally posted by OceanSound
    HSBC use a code generator, not a card reader. You don't need your card to use it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,886Posts Today

7,808Users online

Martin's Twitter