Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 4th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    • 3,500Posts
    • 5,382Thanks
    another casualty
    Glow worm cx 30 update ..and questions
    • 4th Apr 18, 2:25 PM
    Glow worm cx 30 update ..and questions 4th Apr 18 at 2:25 PM
    Howdy!
    Some of you may have seen my previous thread regarding the above.

I have update : Managed to fix the pressure last night
    This morning I receive a call from gas co. telling me an engineer is in the area, and would it be ok for him to pop round.
    Of course I said yes. Well, he has been and gone .

The company charge £74 per hour, which I was told before call out and I was happy with this .
    When the engineer came , he said basically that as the boiler was working he would service it and look at radiator also , rather than just take the £74 for a few minutes work . Fair enough , no complaints.

Upon looking into things further , he did say the boiler is not in the greatest shape and he was not confident in saying how much longer it would be running as it should .
    He mentioned lots of orange gunk under the AAV . The AAV is leaking
    He showed me the radiator in the hallway,which was leaking.
    He noticed the radiator in the living room was hot ontop , but cold in the middle . He tested it for a while , and initially thought that the pressure would sort it out. It hadn't changed while he was there.
    I did ask him if it was better off for me to get a new boiler altogether .
    I asked if it would last another year. He said maybe, but wouldn't say one way or the other.
    He also said that the rads were full of junk and needed a complete clean , or even replaced.
    I've signed the invoice and will obviously pay the £74 when it arrives.
    He said that the invoice would show his recommendations .He said that I'd be talking around £270.00
    On the invoice where it said parts to be ordered/ fitted :aav @1 hour
    Where the invoice says work undertaken : co96/22 co29.5/9.2
    ratio o.ooo9B P 17mb max / o.ooo3 min

So, should I do nothing? Get a new boiler ?

Thanks
    Last edited by another casualty; 04-04-2018 at 8:48 PM.
Page 1
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 4th Apr 18, 9:47 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 4th Apr 18, 9:47 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 9:47 PM
    Why would you get a new boiler because of orange mess under aav, he can remove it and clean the float and all will be good. The boiler is a ok model, I wouldn't change it if it was in my house, every bit is still available.

With regards to rads, is the only trouble with the one cold spots?
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 4th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 4th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 10:14 PM
    Thanks Alex

He was saying that it hasn't been serviced properly for some time . I believe him , as the person I purchased the flat from let it out and they seemed to be on the manky side .
    The rad in the front room seems to be the only problem now.
    Yes, it's true what you say . That boiler has got a good reputation.

You know the score and I listen to what you say . However, if I have to pay say,£270.00 and a few months/ year down the line something else goes wrong then I'm not sure.

The rads are full of gunk though , hence the one in the front room being half cold .The hallway one is leaking. I think he fixed it though .
    With service costs and parts and not knowing, it can be a bit of a minefield.
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 4th Apr 18, 11:17 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 4th Apr 18, 11:17 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 11:17 PM
    If the rads are full of sludge, have them flushed out, will cost but once it's done it's done.

New boiler will not cure your sludged radiators, you will have the exactly the same issue with the new boiler.

If your worried about parts cost and service cost take a maintenance agreement with BG or homeserve.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 5th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    • 5th Apr 18, 9:52 AM
    Thanks again Alex .
    Good points again ,duly noted. It does seem the right thing to get the rads flushed out .
    I must be honest though ,and won't even think about British Gas .
    Homeseve, not so sure . I do wonder if it's worth taking out one of those type of policies . I was hoping to just have a yearly service for sometime . I'm just wondering how much a new boiler like for like would cost including installation etc.

One thing I must mention . When I was purchasing the flat, I never had a service as such but the company I used ( same as this ,with a good reputation ) sent an engineer out because I wanted them to make sure it was safe as it is in the bedroom which the surveyor told me to avoid purchase of the flat for that reason only .
    The engineer said it was a good boiler ,and that I shouldn't have much
    trouble with it . The chap yesterday however, gave it a full examination and rased the points mentioned. The annoying thing about yesterday was that I wasn't told 100% to get a new boiler or how long it is expected to carry on going . It was more ' you could do'...etc
    • Alex1983
    • By Alex1983 5th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 810 Posts
    • 473 Thanks
    Alex1983
    • 5th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 4:16 PM
    The problem with modern boilers is your only ever a failed heat exchanger away from the boiler not being economical to repair this is why some many people use BG or homeserve, I have read a few threads on here saying homeserve say its not a economical repair so won't repair and offer a ideal logic at a so say cheap replacement, don't know what there terms and conditions say but BG has no exclusions like that, if it's available it's repaired. Some manufacturers also do fixed price repairs as a option if heat exchanger fails.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 5th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 5th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 5:48 PM
    Thanks again Alex.
    I was just literally going to see the consuktant for a hospital appt
    and all of a sudden my phone rang . It was the gas company. Wonder what they want

I am wondeing how old the boiler is , and if it's too old for homeserve etc.
    • bris
    • By bris 5th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 6,606 Thanks
    bris
    • 5th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 6:43 PM
    I wouldn't be replacing the boiler either. I also wouldn't be paying £270 to replace a £12 part as that's all that's really needing done.

What I would recommend is getting a system filter installed, like a Magnaclean on the return pipework and dosing it with system cleaner, let it run and do it's thing for a few days then clean the filter, repeat this a few times and it will make all the difference.

It's not a bad boiler and certainly not worth changing.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 5th Apr 18, 8:33 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    • 5th Apr 18, 8:33 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 8:33 PM
    Thanks Bris.

How much would what you recommend cost? I would probably get the same company to do what's needed.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 17th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    I just had an automatic air vent fitted . £79, which includes the hourly rate of the fitter fitting it .
    The engineer said that the boiler is not in the greatest condition ,and if a lot of money was to be spent in the future then it's best to get a new one.
    He did say that I may have to consider getting a new radiator for the living room as it ws not totally hot .
    I shouldn't have to have anything else done until next year , fingers crossed. Hopefully then, it will just be an annual service which will be approx £80. The engineer agreed .
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 18th Apr 18, 8:11 AM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    Just wondering if it's worth getting a powerflush now for the radiators while the irons hot , or wait till autumn . Also ,how much it would cost
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 20th Apr 18, 2:01 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    Engineer went on tues. since last night the heating is on all of the time . If I turn heating off, I have no hot water.
    Spoke to company who served it . They say it could be something else

Spoke to glow worm . They think I need a new diverter valve.
    They will fix problem . Call out plus parts would be expensive .
    However they do offer service plus 6 month maintenance at just under £50 pm for 6 months .
    The gas engineer I used would charge around £270 all in approx .

Decisions decisions . Now looking at homeserve
    • bris
    • By bris 20th Apr 18, 8:00 PM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 6,606 Thanks
    bris
    Try SSE they do a fixed price repair for £75 if you take out a years cover, it's £17 a month. For you it's well worth it as the £75 will include what you need done now. Just phone them and tell them the problem and nothing else.
    Phone 0345 076 7646
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 20th Apr 18, 10:00 PM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    Try SSE they do a fixed price repair for £75 if you take out a years cover, it's £17 a month. For you it's well worth it as the £75 will include what you need done now. Just phone them and tell them the problem and nothing else.
    Phone 0345 076 7646
    Originally posted by bris
    Thanks Bris . Unfortunately , after searching around I spoke to a company called Reactive . They donít do repairs as such . They do a similar priced policy once I get the boiler working again.
    A nice chap gave me the number of a local Plummer who works for them also. He will charge a callout fee of around £75 and judging by what the lady told me when I phoned that no, it should be a cheaper fix. She did say that the engineer will give me a true assessment of the boiler . The last guy as I mentioned previously never gave me much to go on. So basically I expect to pay around £150 and if he thinks I should take a policy out on it afterwards I will use Reactive for £17.50 a month. Annoying day today
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 24th Apr 18, 10:44 AM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    Engineer came around this morning . He fitted a new diverter valve.
    He will be back tomorrow to put a new heating exchanger in .
    So for the rest of the day I have no water.
    Not sure of final cost , but I did find out a lot more than what the previous engineer from the other company told me.

The boiler is 8+ years old , but it is best to get a maintenance contract with someone . Nice to know . So, tomorrow will be expensive and the last two visits before that were not , but cost is beginning to add up . The engineer did say that the boiler doesn't need to be replaced and that the maintenance contract I take out is the way to go .
    • bris
    • By bris 24th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 7,587 Posts
    • 6,606 Thanks
    bris
    I would be a little bit dubious about a service plan that costs £50per month for just 6 months.

You can get on gong cover for £20pm (give or take a couple of pounds) from a lot of places.

You need to think about throwing £300 away over 6 months when in reality now that all this work is done the chances of it breaking down in this six months is slim.

https://www.uswitch.com/boiler-cover/application/ put your postcode into this link for far better options.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 24th Apr 18, 11:50 AM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    I would be a little bit dubious about a service plan that costs £50per month for just 6 months.

You can get on gong cover for £20pm (give or take a couple of pounds) from a lot of places.

You need to think about throwing £300 away over 6 months when in reality now that all this work is done the chances of it breaking down in this six months is slim.

https://www.uswitch.com/boiler-cover/application/ put your postcode into this link for far better options.
    Originally posted by bris
    Thanks bris

With the service plan I found online and spoke to, it will probably be less than £20 a month . I cannot remember the name of them now, but itís not domestic and general , or homeserve .
    I will sign up to that contract once Iíve paid out for this lot of faults.
    • another casualty
    • By another casualty 25th Apr 18, 11:43 AM
    • 3,500 Posts
    • 5,382 Thanks
    another casualty
    So, bill this week for diverter valve / heat exchanger / 2 hour labour "..£469.54.

I have now taken out boiler cover for £17.56 per month .

Hopefully , the 2's and3's are out of the way now and the boiler cover will suffice . Finger crossed .
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 25th Apr 18, 10:30 PM
    • 5,334 Posts
    • 3,086 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    Good job you took bris's advice or you could have paid out more than £500.........

Oh wait
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • macman
    • By macman 26th Apr 18, 5:27 PM
    • 41,889 Posts
    • 17,377 Thanks
    macman
    What kind of 'gas co' calls up and offers to service the boiler because they're 'in the area?
    The guy was simply trying to convince you to buy a new boiler, because no doubt he gets a referral fee. Doing that won't stop your rads leaking...
    No free lunch, and no free laptop
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

472Posts Today

5,879Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin