Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • ashe
    • By ashe 4th Apr 18, 9:34 AM
    • 544Posts
    • 404Thanks
    ashe
    Size of boiler for a 4 bedroom house
    • 4th Apr 18, 9:34 AM
    Size of boiler for a 4 bedroom house 4th Apr 18 at 9:34 AM
    Hi there, we are in the process of buying a house built in 1998, it is 4 bed detached with downstairs toilet, main bathroom upstairs and an en suite. The combo boiler is newly installed last year and survey called out that it is not ideal as its in the loft, but seems mixed advice online around this and have several friends that have this setup and say they don't have an issue, but thats a separate matter and for now we are fine with it.

Received the fixtures and fittings list and included is a gas safety certificate which calls the boiler out as Ideal Logic 30 - a quick google on this model seems to suggest that its better suited to 3 bed properties - there will be just me and my partner living in this property so guessing it will be OK, is it likely to be any kind of issue with regards to heating the house? Looking at floor plan and photos there are 13 radiators in the house all told.
Page 1
    • Doozergirl
    • By Doozergirl 4th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 25,573 Posts
    • 69,399 Thanks
    Doozergirl
    • 4th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    • 4th Apr 18, 11:17 AM
    https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/products/boilers/find-a-new-boiler

I bet it recommends a 30.
    Everything that is supposed to be in heaven is already here on earth.
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 4th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 8,392 Posts
    • 9,401 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 4th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    • 4th Apr 18, 11:57 AM
    There should be no issue in heating the house providing the radiators have been sized correctly, with 13 rads you probably have adequate heat emitters, and a 1998 house should be well insulated.

The issue will be hot water but provided you don't want to run two hot taps simulataneously a 30kW combi will be ample for a shower and adequate for filling a bath.

If you do want better bath filling then a hot water cylinder can be plumbed in as an additional radiator zone and the controls wired as S Plan Plus, keeping the combi hot water function for the shower.

Nothing wrong with a boiler in the loft providing you have the required floorboarding and fixed guard rails at the edge of the boarded area for access for servicing. If you get an unvented hot water cylinder it can go in the loft too.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • Furts
    • By Furts 4th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 4,450 Posts
    • 2,881 Thanks
    Furts
    • 4th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 3:13 PM
    A 1998 could have abysmal levels of insulation, if it were built by one of the national volume builders. For example, Barratt homes from this era were woeful with regards floors and walls. Conversely a carefully built, or a one off, or a self build could have decent levels of insulation. This makes sizing up a boiler somewhat difficult.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 4th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 5,375 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 4th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    • 4th Apr 18, 11:22 PM
    I'd be more concerned it's a Ideal Logic
    I'm only here while I wait for Corrie to start.

You get no BS from me & if I think you are wrong I WILL tell you.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 5th Apr 18, 1:04 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    ashe
    • 5th Apr 18, 1:04 AM
    • 5th Apr 18, 1:04 AM
    I'd be more concerned it's a Ideal Logic
    Originally posted by southcoastrgi
    Can you go into more detail? It seems to have favourable reviews.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 5th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 5,375 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 5th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    Logics are a budget boiler, they have a number of problems from heat exchangers leaking, split sumps, spark generators, plus Ideal after sales is one of the worst in the industry & will generally do anything to get out of a warentee repair ( sorry but you did ask )

• ashe
    • By ashe 5th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    ashe
    • 5th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    • 5th Apr 18, 10:16 PM
    Thanks for the info, but with a two year warranty on a boiler installed last year that!!!8217;s unlikely to be an issue, so the brand & model are far less important than whether it!!!8217;s actually going to heat the house, but thanks anyway.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 6th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 5,375 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    • 6th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 1:55 PM
    Any combi will be big enough to run the heating unless you have a massive house & then a combi won't normally be suitable anyway due to the amount of hot water you may be using at any one time, combi's are normally sized on how fast you want the flow of hot water & are anywhere between 24kw & 40kw

• PhilE
    • By PhilE 6th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 349 Posts
    • 221 Thanks
    PhilE
    How many bathrooms? Does 13 include a towel rack or all doublke rads?

My boiler is 28C, I have a 4 bed with one bathroom, big lounge plus extention. 9 rads plus a towel rack the boiler heats my home effortlessly.

With one bathrom plus 13 rads Im guesing your borderline but if it works, it works. If there's 2 bathrooms just use one at a time if there's a problem.

Check with the boiler manufacturer.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 6th Apr 18, 6:51 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    ashe
    How many bathrooms? Does 13 include a towel rack or all doublke rads?

My boiler is 28C, I have a 4 bed with one bathroom, big lounge plus extention. 9 rads plus a towel rack the boiler heats my home effortlessly.

With one bathrom plus 13 rads Im guesing your borderline but if it works, it works. If there's 2 bathrooms just use one at a time if there's a problem.

Check with the boiler manufacturer.
    Originally posted by PhilE
    1 bathroom, we think it has a towel radiator but we cant remember, def a rad in there which is included in the rad figure i gave

likewise en suite & a downstairs toilet, all have a rad but included in figure

thanks for the info
    • bris
    • By bris 8th Apr 18, 6:52 PM
    • 7,801 Posts
    • 6,783 Thanks
    bris
    There is a difference between the logic and the logic plus, the logic is a pretty bad boiler, the logic plus is a pretty good boiler.
    • ashe
    • By ashe 8th Apr 18, 7:58 PM
    • 544 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    ashe
    There is a difference between the logic and the logic plus, the logic is a pretty bad boiler, the logic plus is a pretty good boiler.
    Originally posted by bris

Whats the difference? The info I read seemed to suggest they are virtually identical apart from 2 year / much longer warranty and a slightly different user display?
    • ashe
    • By ashe 11th Apr 18, 1:16 AM
    • 544 Posts
    • 404 Thanks
    ashe
    Having received the paperwork today for the boiler turns out it is the logic plus after all.
    • southcoastrgi
    • By southcoastrgi 11th Apr 18, 10:37 PM
    • 5,375 Posts
    • 3,119 Thanks
    southcoastrgi
    There is no difference apart from the length of warentee which is why the + is more expensive

• plumberpaig
    • By plumberpaig 13th May 18, 12:33 PM
    • 47 Posts
    • 16 Thanks
    plumberpaig
    Nothing wrong with a boiler in the loft providing you have the required floorboarding and fixed guard rails at the edge of the boarded area for access for servicing. If you get an unvented hot water cylinder it can go in the loft too.
    Originally posted by Owain Moneysaver
    Don't forget the mandatory requirement for permanent access to the loft and also permanent lighting.

Even the smallest 24kW boiler can handle 14 or 15 radiators, so no problem heating the house. As has been stated, a combi boiler is usually sized on a households hot water requirements.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

103Posts Today

1,447Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Ta ta... for now. This August, as I try and do every few yrs, I'm lucky enough to be taking a sabbatical. No work,? https://t.co/Xx4R3eLhFG

• RT @lethalbrignull: @MartinSLewis I've been sitting here for a good while trying to decide my answer to this, feeling grateful for living i?

• Early days but currently it's exactly 50 50 in liberality v democracy, with younger people more liberal, older more? https://t.co/YwJr4izuIj

• Follow Martin