Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bobbyhibs
    • By bobbyhibs 3rd Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    • 558Posts
    • 282Thanks
    bobbyhibs
    share dealing account advice
    • 3rd Apr 18, 1:16 PM
    share dealing account advice 3rd Apr 18 at 1:16 PM
    hi
    I hope this this is the right forum to post in.

I am currently looking around to open a share dealing account and am looking for advice in regards which company to pick.
    I have seen share dealing accounts from my bank., which is like £12 per trade and hargraves lowdown which is similar priced ,though highly recommened
    I however, in doing some research found a company called x-o share dealing which charges like £5.95 per trade.(a big difference between that and £12!!)
    is x-o safe-sercure?anyone used this company-are able to give feedback?

as for what i am looking for
    * I am looking for an account where i can buy-sell shares ( and in thinking i am only looking to buy and or sell shares,no funds or bonds)
    *which has a low trading fee
    * little to no other fees for holding shares in an account
    *no inactivety fees
    *also a company that if i get dividends from the shares i own is easy to take out the money .
    At the moment i am looking to do 1-3 trades per months with values from £50-£100 per trade

thank you for reading i hope i have given enough information.
    kind regards
    bobby`
Page 2
    • cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 7th Apr 18, 1:01 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    I have ended up getting a stocks n shares ISA with Hargreaves Lansdown.
    Originally posted by sevenhills
    Why?

They're not very competitive on their dealing costs (assuming non-OIECs), and they're not very competitive on their platform charge.

Would be interested to understand why you chose HL.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • sevenhills
    • By sevenhills 7th Apr 18, 2:11 PM
    • 1,325 Posts
    • 489 Thanks
    sevenhills
    Why?

They're not very competitive on their dealing costs (assuming non-OIECs), and they're not very competitive on their platform charge.
    Would be interested to understand why you chose HL.
    Originally posted by cloud_dog
    A large company with charges lower than I was paying before, I was buying with a certificate and paying around £30.
    I dont trade very often, so the difference between £5-£12 per trade means very little.
    Being new to these companies, a company that I have never heard of would carry some risk.

• cloud_dog
    • By cloud_dog 7th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 3,768 Posts
    • 2,237 Thanks
    cloud_dog
    A large company with charges lower than I was paying before, I was buying with a certificate and paying around £30.
    I dont trade very often, so the difference between £5-£12 per trade means very little.
    Being new to these companies, a company that I have never heard of would carry some risk.
    Ok, thanks. I can understand your logic in wanting to sacrifice a little bit of cost savings for, potentially, a little more peace of mind.

In theory all investment providers are 'equal' as long as they have FSCS protection, although I suppose some may have more to lose in brand reputation.
    Personal Responsibility - Sad but True

Sometimes.... I am like a dog with a bone
    • Glen Clark
    • By Glen Clark 10th Apr 18, 5:21 PM
    • 4,177 Posts
    • 3,181 Thanks
    Glen Clark
    I used to think the same so traded through well known Building Society share schemes. Until I discovered they are run by Jarvis plc (owner of x-o) and I was just paying the Building Society as a middleman.
    “It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends on his not understanding it.” --Upton Sinclair
    • Alexland
    • By Alexland 10th Apr 18, 6:11 PM
    • 2,699 Posts
    • 2,041 Thanks
    Alexland
    I am a bit of an HL convert having previously written them off as too expensive. For the right situations (LISA regular contributions into discounted fund, small SIPP in drawdown, etc) they can be good value.

Alex
    • grey gym sock
    • By grey gym sock 11th Apr 18, 1:13 AM
    • 4,441 Posts
    • 3,989 Thanks
    grey gym sock
    I am a bit of an HL convert having previously written them off as too expensive. For the right situations (LISA regular contributions into discounted fund, small SIPP in drawdown, etc) they can be good value.
    Originally posted by Alexland
    i use HL for exchange-traded investments in a taxable account. there's no holding charge.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,788Posts Today

8,297Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @justindeaville: @MartinSLewis I looked it up when we last went. It's ball speed. And it's about O.3 seconds to cross the court. @Martin?

• Amazing how empty the #Wimbledon court is for the mixed doubles even though there's a Brit playing. The bars outside are rammed though

• RT @BimpeIN: @MartinSLewis According to Quora its "the speed of the ball as getting out of the racket. As soon as the ball starts to fly it?

• Follow Martin