Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • markhod
    • By markhod 3rd Apr 18, 10:09 AM
    • 49Posts
    • 2Thanks
    markhod
    Opinions on this flight delay case?
    • 3rd Apr 18, 10:09 AM
    Opinions on this flight delay case? 3rd Apr 18 at 10:09 AM
    Hello,

Last week I was due to fly from Naples to Manchester, changing in Hamburg. Both flights were with the same airline, Eurowings.

I missed the connection due to the flight leaving 2 hours later. The pilot said this due to snow in Hamburg delaying the arrival of the aircraft to Naples. It seems "snow" may be ambiguous as to whether this is extraordinary (e.g. if near a ski resort its not according to the MSE website). Is there mileage in stating snow in Northern Germany in winter/early spring is not unusual?

When I got to Hamburg they refused to book me on the next flight to Manchester on the grounds they do not have any agreement with Easyjet and so would not book me on that flight. Had I taken that flight I would have arrived home at 1:45 am. Instead they booked me on a flight at 6:20 am the next morning to Frankfurt, and from there to Manchester. They provided hotel room + meal. I eventually arrived home at 2 pm the next day. Am I entitled to compensation for this delay on the grounds they could have sent me on the Easyjet flight instead? They stated the flight was too expensive and that they did not have any "agreement" with Easyjet. Googling suggests they are not allowed to pick and choose airlines, but must use the next available flight with free seats. Does anyone have experience of this?

In general I suppose my question is am I entitled to compensation for:

(1) First delay due to snow, which may not be considered extraordinary weather?
    (2) Second delay due to not booking me on a flight with a specific airline due to the cost to them?

Thanks,

Mark
Page 1
    • Caz3121
    • By Caz3121 3rd Apr 18, 10:52 AM
    • 11,186 Posts
    • 7,340 Thanks
    Caz3121
    • 3rd Apr 18, 10:52 AM
    • 3rd Apr 18, 10:52 AM
    on point 1 - Whilst snow in some geographical areas is certainly not unusual, the test for extraordinary circumstances is whether it is in the airline's control. I can imagine that if airlines became responsible for weather delays a number of ski routes would be cancelled for the winter!
    • stevie11
    • By stevie11 3rd Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 398 Posts
    • 198 Thanks
    stevie11
    • 3rd Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 3rd Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    1. If snow is the genuine reason this will be boyond the airlines control. I suppose a 2 hour delay isn't that long in that case.

2. If Eurowings do not have an agreement with Easyjet, they got you on the next available flight and paid for accomodation and meal.

Unfortunate circumstances but IMO the EU legislation wont cover compensation. What are you expecting to receive from as a form of compo?
    • JPears
    • By JPears 3rd Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 3,675 Posts
    • 1,023 Thanks
    JPears
    • 3rd Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    • 3rd Apr 18, 11:51 AM
    However, the snow affected the previous flight, not the OPs actual flight from Naples to Hamburg so compensation could apply here as a knock on.
    Try putting your details, including both flights into an online checker, such as Botts.
    If you're new. read The FAQ and Vauban's Guide

The alleged Ringleader.........
    • markhod
    • By markhod 11th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 49 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    markhod
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    • 11th Apr 18, 11:27 AM
    Thanks - yes Botts said I should get compensation in this case. So I have sent off a template letter myself, following the MSE websites advice. Eurowings say it will take up to 4 weeks to respond.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

738Posts Today

6,124Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin