Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Psyduck1980
    • By Psyduck1980 3rd Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    • 52Posts
    • 6Thanks
    Psyduck1980
    "Dummy" Direct Debits
    • 3rd Apr 18, 10:08 AM
    "Dummy" Direct Debits 3rd Apr 18 at 10:08 AM
    I see some bank accounts are now stipulating that a certain number of direct debits must be included in the switch process in order to qualify for their incentive payments (e.g. M&S). Does anyone know if you can meet this condition using "dummy" direct debits? By that I mean low value charity donations, lottery payments etc. (which, presumably, you can cancel once the switch is complete) rather than things like utility bills.
    Last edited by Psyduck1980; 03-04-2018 at 11:54 AM.
Page 2
    • Mchambers
    • By Mchambers 5th Apr 18, 9:41 PM
    • 905 Posts
    • 273 Thanks
    Mchambers
    I am now waiting for the complaints about Tesco starting to roll in, in a month or two. "They never told me that they would stop DDs". "Can they do that?" "How much compensation should I ask for". Etc etc
    Originally posted by colsten
    That is what I like to hear....compensation.

I am going to wait and see what is going to happen with the Tesco dds. I reckon it will a a bit of a co*k up. I will then complain and ask for compensation.
    • bundly
    • By bundly 6th Apr 18, 4:48 PM
    • 967 Posts
    • 799 Thanks
    bundly
    I have opened a Post Office savings account that accepts DD and set one up for 1 a month to satisfy a bank's DD requirement.

Another good one is the FireFighters Lottery (google it). 1 a month and every month you have the chance to win 25k.
    • Mee
    • By Mee 9th Apr 18, 3:52 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    Mee
    Re: Firefighters Lottery

I note the reference recurring monthly payment which I assume means continuous payment authority.

There are a few similar ones I considered to replace some of my Tesco DDs but was put off by the continuous payment authority aspect.
    He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it. [MLK]
    • eskbanker
    • By eskbanker 9th Apr 18, 4:11 PM
    • 7,145 Posts
    • 7,586 Thanks
    eskbanker
    Re: Firefighters Lottery

I note the reference recurring monthly payment which I assume means continuous payment authority.

There are a few similar ones I considered to replace some of my Tesco DDs but was put off by the continuous payment authority aspect.
    Originally posted by Mee
    I don't understand why you'd associate 'recurring monthly payment' with CPAs rather than DDs, especially when https://www.firefighterscharity.org.uk/donate/be-a-regular-donor-all-you-need-to-know/ is clear:
    Ways to donate

Via Direct Debit

By far the quickest and easiest way to become a regular donor is to do so via Direct Debit. You can sign up in a few minutes by clicking on the link below and completing our five minute form. You can choose to donate however much you wish on a monthly basis
    • Mee
    • By Mee 10th Apr 18, 1:27 PM
    • 1,090 Posts
    • 1,039 Thanks
    Mee
    I don't understand why you'd associate 'recurring monthly payment' with CPAs rather than DDs, especially when https://www.firefighterscharity.org.uk/donate/be-a-regular-donor-all-you-need-to-know/ is clear:
    Originally posted by eskbanker

I must admit I hadn't seen that page but followed the link for online Lottery registration page
    which points to https://payments.sterlinglotteries.co.uk/payment/direct_debit/start

On said page under
    Payment Total
    The total will be taken as a recurring monthly payment.

Which I seem to have misinterpreted?
    He who accepts evil without protesting against it is really cooperating with it. [MLK]
    • Fan Of 2018
    • By Fan Of 2018 11th Apr 18, 3:51 PM
    • 16 Posts
    • 6 Thanks
    Fan Of 2018
    I just finished signing up, and it shows the direct debit symbol, and you have to confirm that you want to send DD instructions to your bank.
    • anotheruser
    • By anotheruser 12th Apr 18, 3:07 PM
    • 2,599 Posts
    • 1,525 Thanks
    anotheruser
    Looks like it's goodbye to Tesco and hello to the Post Office then.
    Will sign up now!

I guess it's the "Online Saver"
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

107Posts Today

1,705Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin