Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • MarkBargain
    • By MarkBargain 2nd Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    • 1,574Posts
    • 663Thanks
    MarkBargain
    Are there compensation rights for delayed baggage reclaim at airports?
    • 2nd Apr 18, 10:13 PM
    Are there compensation rights for delayed baggage reclaim at airports? 2nd Apr 18 at 10:13 PM
    I was on a flight yesterday due into Stansted Airport at 23:40, but which landed at 01:00. However there was a huge delay waiting for the suitcase to arrive in baggage reclaim, which did not arrive until 02:50! As a result I missed the last coach of the night home so had to either wait until 07:30 for the next one or take an expensive taxi home. Are there any compensation rights in this situation?
Page 2
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 10th Apr 18, 10:41 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    ....... As a result I missed the last coach of the night home so had to either wait until 07:30 for the next one or take an expensive taxi home. Are there any compensation rights in this situation?
    Originally posted by MarkBargain
    I would definitely run your flight through Botts excellent claims calculator and go for it IF you have a valid claim.

Good luck with your claim,

Cheers

NoviceAngel
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • MarkBargain
    • By MarkBargain 18th Apr 18, 11:14 AM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    MarkBargain
    Mark, I would write to Stansted and send them a copy of the letter from Ryan Air. Your letter should be along the lines,
    "as you told me that the airline were to blame, I duly wrote to them. As you will see from their reply, they are blaming you for what happened.
    The situation is unacceptable as you are both playing tennis with me as the ball. Unless one of you accepts responsibility and reimburses me I intend to sue you both and let you fight it out between you in Court." Send a copy to Ryanair.
    There is a potential problem in that Ryanair are in Ireland but don't worry about that for now.
    Originally posted by legal magpie
    Thanks, I lodged a complaint to Stansted Airport through their website explaining the situation and wait to hear back.

I also wrote to Ryanair again and they replied:

As per our previous correspondence, the responsibility for the delay at the baggage carousel rests on the airport; therefore, we recommend you to contact the airport directly. Whilst we sympathise with your view, we regret that our position as set out in the letter dated 10/04/2018 remains unaltered.

I know someone else who was also promised Ryanair would reimburse a taxi at Stansted Airport and her claim was denied too. I am thinking this could be happening to many many people, as it is an easy fob-off to get rid of people at the information desk but it is leaving passengers lied-to and out-of-pocket.
    • MarkBargain
    • By MarkBargain 18th Apr 18, 11:19 AM
    • 1,574 Posts
    • 663 Thanks
    MarkBargain
    I would definitely run your flight through Botts excellent claims calculator and go for it IF you have a valid claim.

Good luck with your claim,

Cheers

NoviceAngel
    Originally posted by NoviceAngel
    Thanks, I tried and at the moment it comes back with:

If you booked your flight after 26th July 2016 then you agreed to a term in Ryanair's General Conditions of Carriage which says, "Passengers must submit claims directly to Ryanair and allow Ryanair 28 days or such time as prescribed by applicable law (whichever is the lesser) to respond directly to them before engaging third parties to claim on their behalf." The High Court has recently ruled that this is an enforceable term and as such you have a contractual obligation to contact Ryanair yourself first and give them 28 days to respond, before engaging the services of a third party. Ryanair is the only airline that has incorporated this restriction in their terms and conditions and we are currently appealing the decision of the High Court in order to ensure that passengers can benefit from the freedom to use a lawyer should they wish to do so. In the meantime however the term is enforceable and you should be aware that Ryanair could try and claim damages from you if you breach their terms and conditions.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 19th Apr 18, 2:29 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Thanks, I tried and at the moment it comes back with:

If you booked your flight after 26th July 2016 then you agreed to a term in Ryanair's General Conditions of Carriage which says, "Passengers must submit claims directly to Ryanair and allow Ryanair 28 days or such time as prescribed by applicable law (whichever is the lesser) to respond directly to them before engaging third parties to claim on their behalf." The High Court has recently ruled that this is an enforceable term and as such you have a contractual obligation to contact Ryanair yourself first and give them 28 days to respond, before engaging the services of a third party. Ryanair is the only airline that has incorporated this restriction in their terms and conditions and we are currently appealing the decision of the High Court in order to ensure that passengers can benefit from the freedom to use a lawyer should they wish to do so. In the meantime however the term is enforceable and you should be aware that Ryanair could try and claim damages from you if you breach their terms and conditions.
    Then write to them directly and follow the good Doctors guide here :- http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showpost.php?p=64457359&postcount=569
    After reading PtL Vaubans Guide , please don't desert us, hang around and help others!

Hi, we’ve had to remove part of your signature. If you’re not sure why please read the forum rules or email the forum team if you’re still unsure - MSE ForumTeam
    • jpsartre
    • By jpsartre 19th Apr 18, 4:48 PM
    • 3,548 Posts
    • 2,256 Thanks
    jpsartre
    Maybe I'm missing something but it seems guaranteed that even if you were able to check the flight with Bott and Co it will come back negative since your flight was delayed less than 3 hours. Whether you have a valid claim for anything is perhaps an open question but it won't be under EU261.
    • NoviceAngel
    • By NoviceAngel 19th Apr 18, 4:55 PM
    • 2,123 Posts
    • 633 Thanks
    NoviceAngel
    Maybe I'm missing something but it seems guaranteed that even if you were able to check the flight with Bott and Co it will come back negative since your flight was delayed less than 3 hours. Whether you have a valid claim for anything is perhaps an open question but it won't be under EU261.
    Originally posted by jpsartre
    No I don’t think you are, but the OP seems to want to persue it, I was hoping the Botts calculator would say what we are all thinking.....

• unforeseen
    • By unforeseen 19th Apr 18, 5:18 PM
    • 3,023 Posts
    • 3,955 Thanks
    unforeseen
    I contacted Stansted Airport about the baggage delay and they replied that this is managed independently by the airline / its handling agent, hence they suggest contacting them directly.

The desk in baggage reclaim was labelled as a Ryanair desk and they were the ones who told me to take the taxi and that Ryanair would definitely refund.
    The only bit handled by an airline's agent is getting the baggage from the aircraft to the baggage handling system. Once it's in the system it is the airport's responsibility.
    • legal magpie
    • By legal magpie 20th Apr 18, 10:45 AM
    • 934 Posts
    • 409 Thanks
    legal magpie
    Like I said earlier. Threaten to sue them both and if they still continue to blame each other, do it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

2,049Posts Today

9,365Users online

Martin's Twitter