Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 2nd Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    • 167Posts
    • 129Thanks
    APennySaved
    GROUND COFFEE: Is a storage tin that won't hold water (i) also not airtight? (ii) flavour-tight?
    • 2nd Apr 18, 9:50 PM
    GROUND COFFEE: Is a storage tin that won't hold water (i) also not airtight? (ii) flavour-tight? 2nd Apr 18 at 9:50 PM
    We have just bought a handy new 'coffee' illustrated storage tin (standard rolled-edge design; no clip-down or rubber seal).

It will be used to store (shop-bought) ground coffee for our percolator & cafetiere.

However, I washed it before I began to use it - never know what glue etc. is still on it from the manufacturing process!

Then I saw the water + washing-up liquid seep out of the base of the tin!

Only then did I noticev that, like many modern tins, it has a base that is made of a separate piece of tin to the sides. So have begun to think that such a tin & one that is not watertight also isn't airtight. Which is a fairrly logical assumption I suppose. But am I correct?

It's a pain if we have to throw the new tin out: it wasn't expensive, but it would have been handy because of the 'coffee' illustrations on the tin surface. One of these days I'll buy one of those 'proper' coffee tins, the fancy invention I've seen advertised that has a filter-in/-out gadget in the lid, but not at the mo! I'd like to find out if this tin is reliable, first, as it's the design I liked.

There's no point relying on a tin to be flavour-tight if it isn't. We like coffee that tastes nice & strong!! (BTW: we don't keep coffee in the fridge/freezer; just on the work surface near the kettle.)

I would have thought that a FOOD storage tin would automatically be made to be airtight, so am disappointed this isn't.

Some kitchen tins don't matter, but the coffee we buy does need to keep awhile; so we DO need this tin to be airtight, or at least advisable for storing ground coffee so that it keeps its flavourr/strength.

Any ideas on this?
    Last edited by APennySaved; 02-04-2018 at 10:17 PM.
    APennySaved

Money, money, money . . . !

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
Page 1
    • Owain Moneysaver
    • By Owain Moneysaver 2nd Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 8,530 Posts
    • 9,663 Thanks
    Owain Moneysaver
    • 2nd Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    • 2nd Apr 18, 10:11 PM
    Correct. You could put your coffee in a food-grade zip-lock bag inside the tin, although some people will question whether coffee oils and plastic are compatible.

As water molecules are bigger than air molecules, even something that is waterproof may not be airtight.
    A kind word lasts a minute, a skelped erse is sair for a day.
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 3rd Apr 18, 4:56 AM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 3rd Apr 18, 4:56 AM
    • 3rd Apr 18, 4:56 AM
    I use a Costa coffee tin the lid screws tight.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 3rd Apr 18, 9:13 AM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 3rd Apr 18, 9:13 AM
    • 3rd Apr 18, 9:13 AM
    Could you store it in the bag it comes in inside the tin once you've used enough out of the bag? An elastic band to hold the bag shut takes up less room than a bag clip.
    • Tuscanwoman16
    • By Tuscanwoman16 3rd Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    • 3 Posts
    • 2 Thanks
    Tuscanwoman16
    • 3rd Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    • 3rd Apr 18, 10:37 AM
    We just keep ours in the freezer and take our coffee out each day. It keeps very fresh and no need for any tins or plastic containers!
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 6th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    APennySaved
    • 6th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 5:02 PM
    Thanks all - some good ideas there.

We have previously tried the bag-in-a-tin idea but, personally, we found the hassle of having to still seal the bag shut within another container, rahter defeated our purpose - of making coffee storage hassle-free! All is to the aim of saving time, too.

I'd rather avoid the freezer - my OH unintentionally left the freezer door open the other day, when getting out some vegs, & didn't notice the cm gap on the edge when closing it, so we had the expected result! (Much lovely meat was lost!!)

Might give this an idea:
    I use a Costa coffee tin the lid screws tight.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    Would that be this design of tin - at e.g. https://images.hotukdeals.com/threads/thread_large/default/1807529_1.jpg
    Is it made of 1 piece of metal, rather than conjoined bits? (i.e. is it watertight & thus airtight?!?!)
    If it's 1 piece of metal that is just rounded at the edge - from the sides over onto the base - then I think this would do perfectly!
    (I have come to the opinion that only a 1-piece-of-metal tin - such as the sadly rather costly Coffee Gator/Coffee Vault type of invention - is the solution to much of the airtight issue.)
    And IYE does it store for a long'ish time? Not all of us drink 'proper' coffee so the storage needs to last a while!
    Last edited by APennySaved; 06-04-2018 at 6:36 PM.
    APennySaved

[QUOTATION:] " You do realise 'vintage' is a middle-class word for 'second-hand' " (Dane Baptiste, comedian)
    • coffeehound
    • By coffeehound 6th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    • 1,782 Posts
    • 2,731 Thanks
    coffeehound
    • 6th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 5:10 PM
    A glass jar with the locking lever like Le Parfait or Kilner jars are best for longer term storage (somewhere cool and dark).

Keeping it in the freezer will last longer but you then risk moisture ingress when you open it to scoop some out which will turn it bad.

Really though, it won't keep long on the worktop. Best to drink proper coffee every day so it isn't hanging around for long
    • Wizzbang
    • By Wizzbang 6th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    • 4,386 Posts
    • 9,984 Thanks
    Wizzbang
    • 6th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 5:34 PM
    I was given a set of Brabantia storage tins (fairly expense and respected make) storage tins when I moved out on my own. They were labelled coffee, tea and sugar and the water leaked out the bottom whenever I washed them. They were useless and not fit for purpose because it does mean they are not airtight- unbelievable considering what they were and the price they sold for. The sugar used to clump and the coffee clumped and went dark and 'off' over time. Being young and naive at the time, I persevered with them (as they were also a gift). I should have sent them back under guarantee, but I did flog them on eBay at a later date!

So I can well believe something being sold for a purpose it's not fit for, particularly if it's cheap!
    Minimalist
    Extra income since 01/11/12 £34,764.67
    (Not inc coupons, yellow stickies, bank interest or loyalty rewards because I have better things to do than catalogue everything!) Swagbucks £2,548.50
    • ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • By ididntgetwhereiamtoday 6th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 1,180 Posts
    • 918 Thanks
    ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    • 6th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    • 6th Apr 18, 5:41 PM
    Thanks all - some good ideas there.

We have previously tried the bag-in-a-tin idea but, personally, we found the hassle of having to still seal the bag shut within another container, rahter defeated our purpose - of making coffee storage hassle-free! All is to the aim of saving time, too.

I'd rather avoid the freezer - my OH unintentionally left the freezer door open the other day, when getting out some vegs, & didn't notice the cm gap on the edge when closing it, so we had the expected result! (Much lovely meat was lost!!)

Might give this an idea:

Would that be this design of tin - at e.g. https://images.hotukdeals.com/threads/thread_large/default/1807529_1.jpg
    Is it made of 1 piece of metal, rather than conjoined bits? (i.e. is it watertight & thus airtight?!?!)
    If it's 1 piece of metal that is just rounded at the edge - from the sides over onto the base - then I think this would do perfectly!
    (I have come to the opinion that only a 1-piece-of-metal tin - such as the sadly rather costly Coffee Gator/Coffee Vault type of invention - is the solution to much of the airtight issue.)
    And IYE does it store for a long'ish time? Not all of us drink 'proper' coffee so the storage needs to last a while!
    Originally posted by APennySaved
    Thatís the one. Iím pretty sure itís airtight and Iíve been reusing this same tin for a number of years now.
    I didn't get where i am today by not reading moneysavingexpert.com
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 7th Apr 18, 9:32 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    APennySaved
    I was given a set of Brabantia storage tins (fairly expense and respected make) storage tins when I moved out on my own. They were labelled coffee, tea and sugar and the water leaked out the bottom whenever I washed them. They were useless and not fit for purpose because it does mean they are not airtight- unbelievable considering what they were and the price they sold for.

[...]

So I can well believe something being sold for a purpose it's not fit for, particularly if it's cheap!
    Originally posted by Wizzbang
    Sounds truly annoying. I mean, yes: cheap items, you have to expect this kind of thing might happen, but Brabantia? Not!

That's why I won't invest £30 in a special 'coffee vault' if I can get the same effect using something that isn't a 'rip-off'.

I have a relative who insists on buying loads of stuff from Harrods as she says this is the best quality. She makes special trips to London, as she doesn't live there, just to do so. I have told her that IMHO she's not necessarily (or at all!) getting the best VFM; but each to his/her own! Hey-ho! Maybe she just enjoys the days out (been there!) of the shopping trip!
    APennySaved

• APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 7th Apr 18, 9:40 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    APennySaved
    That's great. Will give the 'Costa' tin a go. :)
    Thanks everyone for your ideas.

Re:
    That's the one. I'm pretty sure it's airtight and I've been reusing this same tin for a number of years now.
    Originally posted by ididntgetwhereiamtoday
    That's great. Will give it a go. Even better VFM: that way, I'll also get coffee with the jar purchase!

If that doesn't work, I'll try the clip-down lid idea coffeehound mentioned (have seen those made out of 1 piece of metal).

The coffee storage problem recently became more 'important' as I saw a new - VFM! - large bag of coffee (quality too: Taylors Of Harrogate Rich Italian Coffee 454G) introduced at the supermarket. It's twice the size of the average bag of gtound coffee, for - at £6.00 (at Sainsburys) - nowhere near twice the price. Sainsburys also sell a 454g bag of their own brand of coffee (for even < £6), so it's looking up for VFM bags of the good stuff!

But as it's not VFM if the coffee then 'goes off' I intend to get a better storage tin before I open this large pack.
    Last edited by APennySaved; 19-04-2018 at 7:02 PM.
    APennySaved

• MalMonroe
    • By MalMonroe 7th Apr 18, 10:06 PM
    • 70 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    MalMonroe
    Return this one for a refund. Why not get a tupperware type container? Or store ground coffee in the freezer?
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 8th Apr 18, 7:01 PM
    • 176 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    We reuse this tin when we can't bulk buy, can buy individually https://www.costco.co.uk/Food-Wine-Household/Food-Cupboard/Tea-Coffee-Hot-Chocolate/Kirkland-Signature-100-Colombian-Ground-Filter-Coffee-6-x-1362kg/p/175271
    • BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 8th Apr 18, 7:31 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 13,995 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Searched for airtight coffee jars and came across this - not sure if that would be any good for your needs?
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 9th Apr 18, 6:40 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    APennySaved
    Coffee Vault: looks like this invention wouldn't be best to keep coffee strong for a long time! :-(
    Well. THAT has decided me on - NOT - buying the actual Coffee Vault ! :

As I found this article after Googling:

The 5 Best Coffee Storage Containers of 2018 (How to Store Coffee) - Home Grounds
    (https://www.homegrounds.co/best-coffee-storage-containers/)
    [It's a handy article, BTW.]

where it says:
    "The Friis Coffee Vault: Best for people who use coffee quickly because the filter does not allow for a completely air-tight seal."

i.e. it won't be best for us as we don't use ground coffee fast enough.

So I'm not going to spend £30 on something that a 'cofficianado' (sorry, couldn't help that!) wouldn't recommend to keep coffee strong for a 'long' time!

So shall keep on looking . . . !
    Last edited by APennySaved; 09-04-2018 at 6:51 PM.
    APennySaved

• APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 9th Apr 18, 7:03 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    APennySaved
    The Easehold it is, then!
    Thanks everyone for the great tips. I shall definitely look into the Costco tin at some time: I shall look forward to having a load of 1.3kg of coffee avaiilable in the house!

Searched for airtight coffee jars and came across this - not sure if that would be any good for your needs?
    Originally posted by BookWorm
    Thanks BookWorm - this sounds great! And as it's far less £ at Amazon - at the mo?! - than at eBay (where I also checked the £!) it will be welcome for that reason too.

I had a look at our local large Sainsburys at the weekend, for the Costa Coffee tin, intending to buy that item, but though they had the Costa Coffee packets, I was surprised to find there were none of the red-tin-with-coffee.

But that might have been karma!, as I only then noticed that the Costa Coffee red tin (I started searching for it online, to buy there) only holds 250g; & though that would do if necessary, I'd rather have a larger canister if poss.

As the Easehold canister is hopefully airtight as it is moulded from 1 piece of tin I think I'll give it a go! At only £14 it's far less £ than any of the other purpose-made coffee canisters. Plus it's got a handy magnetised scoop stored inside the lid that ideally will never get lost - as ours currently does! - at the bottom of the tin.

And if it doesn't work well for coffee strength, then I'll use it for something else like sugar!

APennySaved

• BookWorm
    • By BookWorm 9th Apr 18, 7:29 PM
    • 2,309 Posts
    • 13,995 Thanks
    BookWorm
    Let us know how it turns out
    • timehastoldme
    • By timehastoldme 10th Apr 18, 7:13 AM
    • 176 Posts
    • 538 Thanks
    timehastoldme
    Thanks everyone for the great tips. I shall definitely look into the Costco tin at some time: I shall look forward to having a load of 1.3kg of coffee avaiilable in the house!
    Originally posted by APennySaved
    Is nice coffee too, took redundancy a couple of years ago and bought twenty or so tins to keep in the cellar. That was satisfying. pierced the bottom of an empty one and planted it with strawberries and a macrame hanger in the garden. It's held up for a while
    • APennySaved
    • By APennySaved 19th Apr 18, 7:07 PM
    • 167 Posts
    • 129 Thanks
    APennySaved
    UPDATE!: Have now purchased & tried out the Easehold
    Hi to BookWorm & all!

UPDATE!: Have now purchased & tried out the Easehold. And, unfortunately, it's not suitable. :-/

It's a great idea - but the base (let alone the top) has been designed as far too wide & only suitable for large hands!

I had to tilt the container to get any hold on it when I tried to open it, & that's not much use for a container of ground coffee!

Plus the thread on the twist-off lid is a bit weird so though airtight the lid doesn't work that smoothly.

The magnetised scoop is a super idea & a unique selling point. So if they remade it in a taller & slimmer design it would be great.

Never mind - had to give it a go! (And Amazon were fine re the return.)

Back to the research, then. In the meantime I shall resort to the suggestion of a clip on the shop bag & leave the bag in the tin!
    Last edited by APennySaved; 20-04-2018 at 2:34 AM.
    APennySaved

Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,327Posts Today

8,581Users online

Martin's Twitter