Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • Valli
    • By Valli 2nd Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    • 20,632Posts
    • 234,430Thanks
    Valli
    Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd April
    • 2nd Apr 18, 8:39 PM
    Weekly Flylady Thread 2nd April 2nd Apr 18 at 8:39 PM
    What is FLYLADY? Well, it's our version of the US flylady idea - but we work on the principle that housework is not fun, it's boring, can be time-consuming, is often thankless but, unfortunately, necessary. It's here on Old Style to provide the support we all need and to make the whole task easier and quicker. We also accept that, sometimes, life just gets on top of us and we can't keep up, maybe because we're time-poor, not in the best of health and/or we have littlies who need us. We are definitely NOT control freaks aiming for perfection and utterly spotless show-homes.

Welcome to the weekly Flylady Thread. You're more than welcome to join us in the everlasting battle against dust, grime and gibble. The aim of our thread is to make those onerous tasks less daunting, and to support each other - and to make time for the finer things in life!

Please do remember we have to abide by MSE rules; each post should, ideally, include some mention of flying.[/COLOR]

Thank you Natty for last week's thread

Please follow the forum rules on this thread as Flylady has been here a LONG time and is a fabulous support and resource for lots of us. All posts should have some Flylady-related (ooh a compound adjective) content!

The idea is that even if you are really busy you don't need to fall off the wagon!

Every room comes back around next week so please don!!!8217;t stress about catching up

These lists are only suggestions and not a must do list; you are more than welcome to post and follow your own lists.

Also adding a declutter mission each day will help to gradually clear the clutter and make flying easier.

A few of the basics before we start the week

Hotspots are areas where if one thing gets put there, loads of other things follow!

Daily routines are anything you need to do on a daily basis like washing, swish and swipe kitchen and bathroom, ironing, making beds, vacuuming high traffic areas, making meals etc.

Night-time routines are all things which make getting ready in the morning easier, preparing clothes for the next day, making lunches, swish & swipes of the kitchen and tidying the living room before you go to bed plus personals like shower/brush teeth etc.

Fling Boogie - stick on some loud music, grab a bin bag and whiz around the house finding items that can go out with the rubbish, recycling, for charity shop, basically anything that will stop it cluttering your home.

Swish and swipe/S&S means have a quick wipe over an area such as a sink or toilet to prevent the build up of dirt. This is usually done on a daily basis

HHE/HHC/HHI Half Hour exercise/challenge/ironing ... run around for 30 minutes to the Benny Hill music frantically cleaning exercising or ironing.. other music may be used if you prefer!
    WM ~ Washing machine
    TD ~ Tumble dryer
    SC ~ Slowcooker
    BM ~ Breadmaker
    DW ~ Dishwasher
    SOAADFA ~ Sit on 'bottom' and do 'nothing'
    KH/XH/FW ~ Ex-husband and other not so polite versions
    DH/DD/DS/DW/DP ~ Dear husband/daughter/son/wife/partner/whatever
    OH/SO ~ Other half/significant other
    NN ~ nice neighbour
    Toxic (friend/mother/sister/whoever) ~ person in your life that seems to exist to make your life miserable
    AF ~ Aunt Flo 'time of the month'.. nothing to do with flying but it comes up often.
    ETA ~ Edited to add
    Gibble ~ miscellaneous crap that appears forever homeless
    Dot-to-dot ~ pick a small area (not a whole room) like a chair/coffee/table/shelf/worktop or wherever- thats your first 'dot' - totally clear it - clean it - and only put back what should be there - deal with what you have removed (not just move it somewhere else) then if you have time move on and do the same to another 'dot' -the idea is just like a dot to dot puzzle, you aim to join up all the dots and have a tidy room. The trick is to keep each dot tidy until you get them all joined up! All credit to AnW's Mum for this one
    RoD ~ Room of Doom, the one room that feels like it is a permanent pit and cannot be used to its potential!
    MAD half hour
    - Mad is the abbreviation for Make A Difference.
    The idea is that you have a Forth bridge (ie never-ending - or just huge) task but that you work on it in half-hour bursts. This way you know you ARE stooping, and that you won't get it finished but you will make a difference - so it might be clearing out - the garage or shed, or clothes sorting, or weeding - you get the picture - but rather than keep going until you've lost the will to live you do half an hour...but, eventually those half hours will get the job done!

Mr S/A/T/M/L/Al - supermarkets Sainsburys, Asda, Tesco, Morrisons, Lidl, Aldi. You get the picture!!

Click here to read Toots wonderful welcome guide

ok Here goes this Week...
    (Bank Holiday Monday = day off)

Twinkly Tuesday - Kitchen and dining room

Level One

Declutter and mop/vacuum the floors
    Clear and wipe the worksurfaces
    Wipe the cupboard door and drawer handles open drawers and doors and wipe the tops, too

Level Two

Wipe the big appliances and units.. don't forget kickboards!
    Wipe small appliances and replace.. do one thoroughly.. descale or decrumb or degunge!
    Clear a sticky dishevelled cupboard - empty, wipe it out and put back only what lives there tidily

Level Three

Wipe the table and replace the cloth if necessary.
    Binbag dance!
    Clean the oven and hob.

Extras

Clean blinds/curtains and light fittings
    Wash the windows
    HHI
    Take a post Bank Holiday freezer/fridge inventory and see if you can start using it up/ need to replace/throw
    Work on challenges - MAD half hour
    Make sure you have cards - or know what you need to buy for birthdays etc this month

Wednesday Wipe Day - Bathroom/cloakroom/shower room/en suite

Level 1

Open the window
    Flush the loo and bung some cleaner down there
    Empty Bin
    remove any detritis
    Scrub the loo and wipe the outside with a clean cloth, not forgetting handles/levers/buttons

Level 2
    Wipe out the bath and/or shower paying special attention to gungy areas round taps etc
    Wipe shower heads
    Wipe shower tubing
    Polish taps
    Clean screens/wash/replace shower curtains

Level 3
    Dust all dust traps inc licht fittings and blind/curtain rails
    Polish mirrors
    scrub sink and clean rounf taps
    Wipe all handles and light pulls
    Clean floor
    Put clean towels etc out

Extras

Clean window
    S&S kitchen
    MAD half hour
    HHI

Thursday Thriils - lovely sunny day (here anyway - use it on you)
    The BOUDOIR

Level 1

Open the window
    strip the bed
    clear the floordrobe/chairdrobe
    Take out the trash

Level 2
    Make the bed
    Clean the window
    Vacuum/sweep/mop the floor

Level 3
    Dust everywhere
    Polish mirrors
    wipe your lotions and potions with a damp cloth

Extras
    Peg out some washing
    HHI
    S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    do a MAD half hour - H2H or Toots list tasks

Fabulous Friday - pick a neglected room - kids room/guest room

Level 1

Open the window
    Strip the bed
    clear out gibble and garbage - FERLINNG!

Level 2
    Use a just-damp cloth and wipe sockets, switches and handles
    Clean windows and mirrors
    Re-make bed
    Vacuum/sweep/mop floors

Level 3

Dust everywhere
    Waggle a cobwebs brush into corners and light fittings
    Check all lighting etc is fully functional especially if it's a guest room

Extras

Clear that ironing mountain

If the kids are back at school Monday (ugh) THIS is your MAD half hour list
    1 - Start hunting for the elusive P.E. kit, bookbags, homework etc
    2 - Check lunchboxes/bags are clean and dry; make sure you have any pack-up stuff you'll need. (If you are in the south do you have bread and sandwich fillings etc?)
    3 - Check school clothes are washed and ironed and not scrunched up in a bag somewhere - if the kids are old enough this could/should be their task.
    4 - Check school website/newsletters for key date information and add to calendar - always lots on in Summer Term - when is Sports Day?
    5 - Have you got change/cheques for dinner (lunch) money?

S&S kitchen
    S&S bathroom
    MAD half hour
    Last edited by Valli; 05-04-2018 at 6:45 PM.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
Page 6
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 8th Apr 18, 12:59 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 21,694 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Dizzy.. I highly recommend headphones and an ipod...
    Originally posted by pigpen
    I've tried that in the past - Tiny just switches it off when he wants something When did three year olds become so tech-savvy?

Booted boys outside to play in yet more mud and they joined DH cleaning out the chickens and chopping wood. Both highly dangerous activities for DH on his own, let alone with kids swarming round. Somehow he managed to ensure all fingers and toes remained attached to their respective bodies but did drop a log on his knee - the one he had replaced last year He is now resting it and watching Whacky Races with the boys.

Meanwhile I have stripped our bed, emptied and reloaded DW, WM on twice, ironed for an hour (and actually put clothes away in the correct drawers), fed everyone lunch and scrubbed the minging kitchen sink.

Happy Sunday everyone x
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 8th Apr 18, 1:24 PM
    • 36,830 Posts
    • 474,028 Thanks
    pigpen
    dizzy.. he cant switch it off if it is in your pocket!! I tuck mine in my bra if I have no pockets.. I am on the verge of cracking the headphones out today!

I have yelled.. lots.. done lunch.. yelled some more.. made everyone cry.. because I said if their toys are not put away I will assume the are unwanted and bin them.. evil I know!

Is it too early to drink all 3 bottles of vodka??

2x WM full of stinking cat p!$$y dressing up stuff.. at times I hate cats!
    Last edited by pigpen; 08-04-2018 at 1:40 PM.
    LB moment 10/06 Debt Free date 6/6/14
    Hope to be debt free until the day I die
    Mortgage-free Wannabee (05/08/30)
    6/6/14 72,454.65 (5.65% int.)
    08/07/2018 52998.57 (2.41% int.)
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 8th Apr 18, 1:46 PM
    • 5,294 Posts
    • 52,544 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    It's Sunday lunchtime, Pigpen, the most civilized session of the week in a pub, so no, not too early for vodka. Fantastically well done on the weightloss.

(((Hugs))) to everyone dealing with overexcited kids, and people who say there is no rush.

230 plant plugs now sunning themselves on the sundeck in pots, and a whole load of detritus has been flung from the sundeck and the yard. It looks a lot better.
    Keeping it AF
    • Valli
    • By Valli 8th Apr 18, 3:21 PM
    • 20,632 Posts
    • 234,430 Thanks
    Valli

Oh.. question.. OH it useless.. upstairs I have a new SC, in the box. In my kitchen I have my old SC.. the handle is broken , the control panel bit is broken.. it works but the side is gone and wires are exposed.. so do I bin it, even though it works perfectly and use the new one, or do I use the old one until it dies a death?
    Originally posted by pigpen
    Bin it. If someone touched an exposed wire and got injured you would never forgive yourself.
    "I would like more sisters, that the taking out of one, might not leave such stillness" Emily Dickinson
    Janice 1964-2016

Thank you Honey Bear
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 8th Apr 18, 4:24 PM
    • 36,830 Posts
    • 474,028 Thanks
    pigpen
    one SC binned.. and one dead kettle binned..

2x WM on the line, or will be shortly.. it is all the dressing up gear the cats used as a toilet! Sometimes I loathe cats!

1x WM on
    1x TD on

best do food before these eat each other.. and I want to get back to normal school bedtimes/meal times.

School put up a smug post on their FB saying they are shut tomorrow.. no sheep sherlock... no need to rub it in so much..

Squeak laid in bed playing her furby game on the ipad.. and the other 3 kicked outside.. Pixie yelled at for putting herself in danger.. the perils of being 4 and the size of a 7 year old!!

anyway.. bin filling, washing and dinner.. then bed time for the gremlins!!
    • kazwookie
    • By kazwookie 8th Apr 18, 4:26 PM
    • 9,989 Posts
    • 124,522 Thanks
    kazwookie
    Piggers bin the sc, exposed wires and your kids........

Sleep decluttered

Raining here
    Sun, Sea
    Slinky start date 29.01.18 28 to go / -14 so far and counting!!
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 8th Apr 18, 5:05 PM
    • 36,830 Posts
    • 474,028 Thanks
    pigpen
    dinner on.. it started raining and the skanky neighbours are burning tyres and human flesh by the smell.

DW emptied and refilled.. not full enough to turn on yet but my worksurfaces are nice and clear.

I have 2 empty wash baskets to go upstairs.

I am so over today!
    • pigpen
    • By pigpen 8th Apr 18, 6:28 PM
    • 36,830 Posts
    • 474,028 Thanks
    pigpen
    DW on.. the pans from dinner filled it up.

Dessert for smalls.. reload TD and DW and hopefully find 5 minutes to hang up some of the wet stuff.
    • Honey Bear
    • By Honey Bear 8th Apr 18, 6:47 PM
    • 5,294 Posts
    • 52,544 Thanks
    Honey Bear
    One load through the WM and pegged out. Shower room drains have been very thoroughly cleaned; everything's flowing much more quickly now.
    Last edited by Honey Bear; 08-04-2018 at 7:29 PM.
    Keeping it AF
    • Fayolle
    • By Fayolle 8th Apr 18, 6:53 PM
    • 741 Posts
    • 8,991 Thanks
    Fayolle
    DD is packed up and ready to go off camping tomorrow. You would never catch me doing that in a million years. Especially not in April. Actually never if it didn't involve a comfy bed and a bathroom at the end of each day. DH is doing something incredibly annoying on his new-to-him phone. I might confiscate it in a minute. I need to cook dinner, but wine o'clock is here and I really can't be .....bothered - that was the word I was looking for

Well done Piggers on the weight loss. 2lb more down this week. That makes 8lb in total out of the 28lb target.
    • Dizzy Imp
    • By Dizzy Imp 8th Apr 18, 8:13 PM
    • 2,287 Posts
    • 21,694 Thanks
    Dizzy Imp
    Ahhhh.....peace...

Boys in bed. TV and music silenced, log-fire on and three hounds laid out snoozing, DW, WM and TD all bumbling away quietly.

Relax. Just one more day to go.
    • Natty68
    • By Natty68 8th Apr 18, 8:47 PM
    • 2,520 Posts
    • 36,068 Thanks
    Natty68

Struggling financially

Mortgage Free as of 20.9.17
    • Narc0lepsy
    • By Narc0lepsy 8th Apr 18, 8:48 PM
    • 1,594 Posts
    • 22,899 Thanks
    Narc0lepsy
    You all sound busy, even those trying to control small ones.
    Got to Somerset on Friday without rain, bit of drizzle for motorbike rally which was fun going round pretty, if narrow and muddy, country lanes admiring primrose and solving clues - although the 210 mile route was about an hour too long for my liking! Light rain and chilly most of the 160 miles home today, so it's been hot bath and Bond film . Beans on toast in the next interval. Flying tomorrow.
    Remember...a layer of dust protects the wood beneath it.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

132Posts Today

1,656Users online

Martin's Twitter