Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • eatgarbage
    • By eatgarbage 2nd Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    • 7Posts
    • 2Thanks
    eatgarbage
    Equal Pay
    • 2nd Apr 18, 1:48 PM
    Equal Pay 2nd Apr 18 at 1:48 PM
    I have been in a job role for over 7 years, we employed a new team member a year ago who has much less experience and still is nowhere near my skill level, however they came into the role from a different department on higher pay than me but the same pay scale. Do I have a case to say I should be paid equal to or more than him?
Page 2
    • z1a
    • By z1a 16th Apr 18, 10:18 PM
    • 1,213 Posts
    • 1,168 Thanks
    z1a
    Sorry to jump in on your post, but equal pay surely must be if you are in the same titled role, with the same responsiblities and the same hours.
    I am female working for a company for 4 years now, as the business has grown they hired a male offering the same job role as i, we do the same tasks, same responsibilities, the same hours however he is paid 3000 pa more than me. Should i go down the gender pay route with my employer?
    Originally posted by Tara247
    Maybe he just negotiated a better deal.
    • ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    • By ScorpiondeRooftrouser 16th Apr 18, 11:06 PM
    • 2,313 Posts
    • 3,652 Thanks
    ScorpiondeRooftrouser
    When there's only two of you one is bound to be paid more than the other. I would have thought you'd need a pattern of higher pay by gender through the company.
    • Gavin83
    • By Gavin83 16th Apr 18, 11:54 PM
    • 5,036 Posts
    • 8,138 Thanks
    Gavin83
    Sorry to jump in on your post, but equal pay surely must be if you are in the same titled role, with the same responsiblities and the same hours.
    I am female working for a company for 4 years now, as the business has grown they hired a male offering the same job role as i, we do the same tasks, same responsibilities, the same hours however he is paid 3000 pa more than me. Should i go down the gender pay route with my employer?
    Just to be clear equality isn't about paying you the same just because you're a woman. Equality is about not paying you less just because you're a woman. There's a vital difference.
    • TBagpuss
    • By TBagpuss 17th Apr 18, 11:29 AM
    • 6,444 Posts
    • 8,337 Thanks
    TBagpuss
    I wouldn't start with that.
    There are a number of issues:

You have the same title, but are your jobs in fact the same?

It may be that there are differences in what you are actually doing, or how well you are perceived as doing it.

It may be that there are differences in your levels of relevant experience /expertise

It may be that your new colleague simply negotiated a better deal.

It would be reasonable to speak to you boss about a pay rise. Focus on why you should get an increase (market rate for your type of work, value added to the company by the work you've done, positive feedback you have received etc)

I think raising an allegation of discrimination is your last, rather than first, resort.

The fact that 2 people with the same job titles and general roles are paid different amounts is not automatically discriminatory, the issue is if the reason for that discrepancy is discrimination. For instance, if you consistently got better reviews, better customer feed-back, better outcomes than your colleague, and he was less or equally qualified that you, and was paid more, and you were turned down when you asked for a raise, you might at that point have a reason for raising the issue as to why he was paid more, and whether there was any discrimination.
    • Ja7188
    • By Ja7188 17th Apr 18, 6:38 PM
    • 140 Posts
    • 150 Thanks
    Ja7188
    I used to work at a large organisation where in some cases, managers were on lower salaries than their team members - mostly/ entirely due to the team members having moved across from other more senior roles. What is likely to happen in this scenario has been commented on above...

I suspect that the best you can hope for is a higher percentage increase than others when the company carries out a pay review and if you're lucky, another small bump-up - but don't hold your breath.
    • Mulder00
    • By Mulder00 18th Apr 18, 10:21 PM
    • 487 Posts
    • 430 Thanks
    Mulder00
    What exactly is the gender pay route?

Have you asked for the same money as your colleague and denied it because of a protected characteristic (such as your gender)? If not, then you have no route to go down.

Companies don't have to (and aren't going to) just increase everyone's salaries when someone new joins because they tried to attract talent and had to pay them more than the next company to secure an offer. Similarly, they don't have to (and aren't going to) decrease your salary if they find someone cheaper on the market and employ them for less money than you are on. This is not what the Equality Act is about.

If you are unhappy with your salary and feel that you are underpaid, then ask for more or move to a company that will pay you what you believe you are worth (regardless of your gender).
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,144Posts Today

6,949Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Yes you would think in this electronic day and age. They could put digital ticket machines on trains https://t.co/RPo4XXvrwk

• RT @Mattallwright: Martin: supplementary: Does she know which platform the train is on, or is it Paddington with five minutes notice to cov?

• RT @KTMGordo: @MartinSLewis Imagine Jane is hungry and late for an urgent appointment & needs to buy a sandwich but the queue's huge. Is?

• Follow Martin