Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • 1LuckyLady
    • By 1LuckyLady 2nd Apr 18, 7:53 AM
    • 750Posts
    • 7,118Thanks
    1LuckyLady
    :) What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd April?
    • 2nd Apr 18, 7:53 AM
    :) What small DFW things will you do this week - w/c 2nd April? 2nd Apr 18 at 7:53 AM
    When we start out on the DFW trail we do loads of "big stuff" that makes quite a difference to our situation. These include having our lightbulb moment, cutting up the credit cards and cancelling Sky and the gym.

But once we have done the bigger stuff, we often feel that we are not making the same amount of progress, when in fact the small steps are helping us form good financial habits and helping us get closer everyday to staying in control and becoming debt free, or staying debt free.

Examples could be hanging washing out instead of using the tumble dryer or leaving your purse/wallet at home to avoid the risk of spending.

So be proud of those small steps, they really are important
    Last edited by 1LuckyLady; 02-04-2018 at 8:23 AM.
    Sticking with the "Small things" thread to keep up us on the straight and narrow.
Page 6
    • carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th Apr 18, 4:50 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 11,339 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Clf, I'd buy a new one but keep the old one for when decorating.
    Originally posted by 1LuckyLady

I am quite good on old curtains - just KM'd the shed
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Apr 18, 5:37 PM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 20,414 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hi CLF - Hmmm. Have been thinking about this. I do 'sides to middle' on some sheets. That's because I love vintage cotton bed linen & the quality of vintage cotton sheets is usually so good that it's well worth 'sides to middling'. I wouldn't bother doing it on polycotton sheets unless I really needed the cash for something else. I'd use those for decorating to cover furniture or as a night cover for baby plants in the greenhouse during cold weather. If I didn't need either of those, I'd cut it up for cleaning rags.
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 621-10
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 174
    • foxgloves
    • By foxgloves 8th Apr 18, 5:52 PM
    • 3,971 Posts
    • 20,414 Thanks
    foxgloves
    Hello Sunday Savers,
    Well I've been a proper Sunday Saver today as I've spent now't.
    *Tomorrow's packed lunch made.
    *Baby tomato plants transferred to greenhouse & bottle-cloched.
    *Potted up 4 trays of seedlings (free flower seeds).
    *Moved 5 nice chunky clumps of parsley from greenhouse to herb bed.
    *Harvested a bucket of fab free compost from worm composter & set it up for the year.
    *Will carry on with the sofa throw I'm making later.
    *Two baths from 1 lot of hot water....I insisted on going in first as mr f had a bonfire earlier & was looking distinctly sooty.
    *Emailed sister about potential bday gift for B-in-law, as if she thinks he'll like it, I have 10 of survey vouchers I can put towards it.
    *Noted price of the camera mr f is having for his big birthday later this year. Looked at it while we were in the city centre yesterday. Was pleased to see the price is 100 less than I had anticipated, & I already have 40 of vouchers towards it & at least another 15 to come. Now I know the price, I can budget properly.
    *Cut open a tube of hand scrub (don't ask!) to use last of it on de-worm composting hands.
    And now I intend doing sweet bu*ger all for the rest of the evening!
    F x
    Money can't jump out of your purse on its own so ask 'Can I borrow one, make one, grow one, bake one, re-purpose or recycle, acquire it for free?' Yes? Then put that purse away & keep your money because little savings grow!
    Loan pay-down fund instalment 2 = 621-10
    Payment received from surveys: 2015 = 320 2016 = 210 2017 = 304 2018 = 174
    • DawnW
    • By DawnW 8th Apr 18, 6:59 PM
    • 4,955 Posts
    • 39,053 Thanks
    DawnW
    Evening all
    Full on weekend as we had little 4 year old GD for a 'sleepover' to give her mum and dad a break. She is a poor sleeper, and they have a 4 month old baby as well. She slept all night though, except for once when she had somehow kicked off her duvet, just asked to be tucked in, didn't want a wee, had a sip of water and went back to sleep. Might help that I slept in the room with her. Still shattered though, as I didn't sleep well as not in my own bed, and an energetic 4 year old and her best pal (dog) charging round all weekend is not a recipe for relaxation

Not much done apart from that:
    Not a NSD as OH bought some bits at the market this morning - I didn't go as thought it was too early to have small child up, dressed, fed and organised - in my defence, I am out of practice these days! We also needed a pint of milk to last till the milkman rocks up tomorrow morning
    Planted up 4 pots in the front garden with gifted gladioli bulbs and flower seeds I already had. Used half old compost, half new. Must add Olbas oil infused teabags in a minute to prevent local cats using them as a loo overnight
    Used parsnip soup made the other day for lunch. DD joined us
    Load of washing dried on line
    No heating / wood stove as warm enough without, despite drizzle
    Cooked a roast dinner for this (early) evening, invited brother, enough beef left from small joint for OH and I to have again tomorrow, plus leftover gravy and Yorkshire puddings. The small quantity of batter I made was enough to make loads of them - sent brother home with some in a tupperware to go with his meal tomorrow.
    Just washed kitchen floor as I spilled some fat on it getting something out of the oven

Tired now, house messy, and a hospital visit tomorrow....
    NSDs for April: 9 / 15

• carrielovesfanta
    • By carrielovesfanta 8th Apr 18, 7:44 PM
    • 1,481 Posts
    • 11,339 Thanks
    carrielovesfanta
    Morning folks!

Sorry to hear that there have been poorlies, and stressed people. Big hugs to you all.

Hello to the newcomers

A nice weekend off. I managed to finish the first sock, and finish April's instalment of the CAL. I also got out into the garden for the Big Seed Sowing, and tackled a large section of the ivy in the border. I'm nearly there. One more session should do it!

Can anyone recommend a self seeding flower mix that will grow in a shady, tree-lined north-facing border? Ideally I just want to chuck the seeds on the ground and walk away happily.

It's the PITA freelancer's last day today. I've never been so happy to get shot of someone.

Today's mission:
    • B/L/D from stores - done
    • Snacks as per new snack plan. This is my undoing. I don't work out the snacks in advance and I get hungry. Then I eat choccy as the only available thing in work. - done. Ignore the sugar fiend
    • Nice run at lunchtime to take advantage of a gap in the rain - done. I actually saw some sunshine!
    • No sugar! I need to cold turkey. - done
    • Charge phone in work - done
    • Reconcile budget sheet - done. Groceries v.v bad this month already
    • Find old ring binder for OH's expenses etc - done
    • Nip into the garden when I get home and check if anything needs water - done
    • Ask OH's opinion about fixing the fence. It has rotted away in most places and probably needs new panels. It's unlikely that the LL will bother to fix it so I think we'll take this one on ourselves.
    • Sew in ends on crochet
    • Be calm and fabulous and remember that I only have 3 more days til my next weekend! - done
    • Do free stretching video online
    Have a good one all

clf x
    Originally posted by carrielovesfanta
    Update for the evening
    Last edited by carrielovesfanta; 08-04-2018 at 8:14 PM.
    LBM 11/06/2010: DFD 30/04/2013
    Total repaid: 10,490.31

SAVINGS: 9433.44
    • allydowd
    • By allydowd 8th Apr 18, 7:57 PM
    • 4,062 Posts
    • 25,963 Thanks
    allydowd
    * Won a pair of headphones in a caption competition. That made my day.

* Batch-cooked chicken soup: made twice as much as usual as it's proving popular with fussy DW.

*Making homemade waffles.
    Last edited by allydowd; 08-04-2018 at 8:04 PM.
    Debt-free day: 8th May 2015
    The Joy Account: 250

Bold Bicycle Bonanza: 93.01 km
    "Remember that sometimes not getting what you want is a wonderful stroke of luck," Dalai Llama
    • determined new ms
    • By determined new ms 8th Apr 18, 8:20 PM
    • 6,799 Posts
    • 39,731 Thanks
    determined new ms
    Hi guys not long home from work - today has been the dullest of dull. So dull in fact, I got on with 2 tasks I've been putting off since I started!

Not much by way of small things - but not out/online spending

I took B/L/S to work with me and stuck to my diet If I can get through a couple of days of not eating carp I'll get back into eating healthier - but it's been an uphill slog. I won't count my chickens until tomorrow though...

eating lo's from yesterday.

went for a walk in my lunchbreak - the weather was lovely!

heating off.

oh dear not much!
    DF as at 30/12/16
    Wombling 2017 3016.55/Roadkill 8.73
    Wombling 2018 145.73/RK 0.04
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,715Posts Today

7,027Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • I've decided my weekend starts here while the sun's glow is still baskable. So I'm signing off. Have a great weeke? https://t.co/9FxNEpDs6p

• No not correct. The big six do, but you can get fixed tariffs guaranteed not to rise and about 25% cheaper. Just tr? https://t.co/B2ft5OS3Ig

• Baaaa! Scottish Power has bleated and followed the herd, today announcing it's putting up energy prices by 5.5%. R? https://t.co/vi3hBxo4Hn

• Follow Martin