Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 1st Apr 18, 11:46 PM
    • 99Posts
    • 91Thanks
    stinabean
    LBM and determination in full force.
    • 1st Apr 18, 11:46 PM
    LBM and determination in full force. 1st Apr 18 at 11:46 PM
    Hi everyone

So I've been trying to cut our debt down for so long and feels like I don't get anywhere ever. There's always something that comes up and as we've never had an emergency fund its the credit cards taking the hit!

I'm hoping if I write it down here with figures and lists it may make me stay on track with seeing progress. LBM is I refuse to pass on my disregard for debt and money management to my future child and with that added expense I can see us seriously spiralling if I don't step up! Plus after looking at the figures (and my awful credit score) I can't move to any more 0% cards. Crunch time.

I struggle to not buy what I want. I'll find stuff for the house like a water filter, a new shelf etc and just order. It's always cheap but obviously they pile up! I also work full time from home so I can't cut down on things like buying lunches or coffees etc, it's all covered in the weekly shop.

Our situation :

- Just started our first mortgage Sept 2017.
    - Expecting our first baby in July!
    - We have finance on bits we needed for the new house such as a boiler, windows, a sofa.
    - Due to impending child we have also just part exed our car for a bigger one.

I have one more impending unexpected expense - our showers heating element has blown and the use of the bath is causing a leak through a downstairs light fixture!!
    Hopefully I can cover the majority of this with wages rather than add to credit card.

In order of what deal runs out quickest:

My Halifax - 1,873.53. 0% until Oct 2018. After this, goes up to 18.95% p.a

My Barclays - 1,430.98 total.
    261.18 at 0% until Feb 2019
    655.30 at 0% until (I think) April 2019. End date not yet showing on statement.
    514.50 at 0% until May 2019

Boiler with Barclays Personal Finance - 2,000 - 0%. This is a repayment plan of 83.33 per month, due to end Nov 2019.

Lloyds - 0% till end date of April 2020. Can't remember total amount owing and is OH's anyway, bar 599 of the total which is mine.

Windows with Hitachi Finance - 2,346 - 4.1% per annum, 7.9% APR. Current payment plan is 39.10 per month. Log in says I can make overpayments/repay early at no charge however I'm sure I was told there was a fee! Last payment Feb 2023 if no increase in payment made.

Car with Vauxhall Finance - 12.190. 3.99% a year, flat rate fixed / 8.7%APR. Due to end March 2023.

Mortgage with Platform - 148,500 over 35 years at 3.04% until July 2022. Then changes to 4.49% for remainder unless I switch. Monthly repayments are 575.

Anyone has any tips or suggestions just shout! Done a SOA and we have money left over to pay off this debt if we concentrate but not posting it as it's fluctuating quite a bit due to new car and SMP starting in June.

Here goes, please be kind!
    Last edited by stinabean; 04-04-2018 at 2:09 PM. Reason: Updated debt/finance agreements for accuracy
Page 3
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 6th Apr 18, 3:31 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    I keep getting those emails! I get tempted, have a look, remember I'm pregnant and close the page Living in maternity jeans and tops - got enough to cover me!

So I've sorted the insurance - only had a month left on the current one so just changed the details with them so we're covered. I'll do some proper quote comparisons next month as I imagine the renewal will be monstrous as they usually are, plus by then I'll have a new extra years NCD.

Decided against TSB for now - just re-jigged my Halifax accounts and set up a standing order for groceries/takeaways. Told OH and he's onboard, so asked him what he'd like to contribute and it's gone all quiet

Now to just continue with my PADing and be mindful of any spending I decide to do!
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 6th Apr 18, 7:00 PM
    • 971 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    Kitten868
    I can't believe how cool you are about your seriously carp car salesman! He didn't put through your insurance and let you drive off the forecourt uninsured. I also didn't think he could buy your tax on your behalf either. I would be having serious words with the dealership owner.

I also can't believe you think Halifax online banking is good. It's so overclunky for no reason.

I think you're doing great. My advice is normally live on SMP before you live on SMP but I don't know what your SMP package is. I've never heard of a company 'lending' you future wages. I would think very carefully before accepting this. You may be much worse off when you return to work. Or feel trapped in the job. You need to be certain of your SMP package. Many companies offer full or 90% pay for longer periods. The NHS in particular is brilliant for paying more over SMP and offering to pay the total SMP over equal instalments throughout. Have you considered splitting your maternity with your partner?

In your position I would snowball definitely the Halifax first and then the windows. Keep posting here and you can do this xxx
    Loan 1 5500/8000
    Loan 2 3500/5800
    Total 9000/13800 35% PAID

And CC 1550/1900
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 7th Apr 18, 9:29 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    I can't believe how cool you are about your seriously carp car salesman! He didn't put through your insurance and let you drive off the forecourt uninsured. I also didn't think he could buy your tax on your behalf either. I would be having serious words with the dealership owner.

I also can't believe you think Halifax online banking is good. It's so overclunky for no reason.

I think you're doing great. My advice is normally live on SMP before you live on SMP but I don't know what your SMP package is. I've never heard of a company 'lending' you future wages. I would think very carefully before accepting this. You may be much worse off when you return to work. Or feel trapped in the job. You need to be certain of your SMP package. Many companies offer full or 90% pay for longer periods. The NHS in particular is brilliant for paying more over SMP and offering to pay the total SMP over equal instalments throughout. Have you considered splitting your maternity with your partner?

In your position I would snowball definitely the Halifax first and then the windows. Keep posting here and you can do this xxx
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    It contributes to my poor money management - both me and OH are reeeeally laid back. What's done is done!
    I was really annoyed. He asked me if it was ok and I was about to say "no, I could really use that money back" and he chimed in with he'd already done it the day before So yeah. Nowt I can do except try and be organised so it's not a problem!

Halifax banking is the dream! TBF I've not tried many others. I switched to First Direct briefly and while they were amazing, I hated their online banking. I like seeing absolutely everything at once and being able to transfer between accounts without having to log in and out of different sites. Who would you recommend as an alternative to Halifax?

Wage lend - it's been done before (not with me). Basically they don't offer any benefits so my maternity pay is the standard government issued one, no extras. I've been there for quite a while compared to others in the same position and know my job inside out, I'm very comfortable there. I mentioned I thought I'd struggle and they offered to help in some way so I asked for a monthly loan while I'm off - when I go back (which I 100% will) I'll be paying it back but on my own terms. Eg If they lend 100 a month, I won't be paying back 100 a month, maybe just 50 etc.
    Annoyingly my work have turned down splitting maternity/paternity

Jobs for today are:

1 Another small grocery shop after I've done a cupboard/freezer stock take.

2 Back up and wipe our old iPhones so we can sell them, profit to go on debt.

3 Then off to Dunelm to look at some black out blinds, as we are not sleeping too well and figure we should get as much shut eye as possible before baby arrives

Other than that, I know OH wants to go for a drive in the new car (the above is all walking as car parks are stuffed on a weekend) so we might take the dog somewhere new for a run around
    • Kitten868
    • By Kitten868 7th Apr 18, 11:32 AM
    • 971 Posts
    • 2,188 Thanks
    Kitten868
    I wasn't having a go. I just have a people around me that put up with carp salesmanship (mainly my husband - he's the one who agrees to that ridiculous insurance extra).

From my experience I would say Nationwide especially the app is great. Halifax does my nut with all the extra pages and phone calls to add payees but we've kept them as I think it's best to have an account where your mortgage is. Plus if i dont look at the direct debit account i can forget its there. Co-op is by far the worst. From memory Lloyd's and Natwest are similar to Halifax.

With mobile phones sell them at cex if you have one. They're great and tell you what you'll get upfront.

Get your SMP terms drawn out for you so you don't need to wrangle it while you're off xxx
    Loan 1 5500/8000
    Loan 2 3500/5800
    Total 9000/13800 35% PAID

And CC 1550/1900
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 7th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    I like apps where you can do most of the stuff through their app - T35co has been best for this I've found. N4tW3st is a nightmare for piggybanking as you can't transfer more than 250 through their app. Also most do fingerprint login now so no need to remember passwords . I quite like Hal1f4x but wouldn't have said it was a favourite .
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 7th Apr 18, 7:12 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    I wasn't having a go. I just have a people around me that put up with carp salesmanship (mainly my husband - he's the one who agrees to that ridiculous insurance extra).

From my experience I would say Nationwide especially the app is great. Halifax does my nut with all the extra pages and phone calls to add payees but we've kept them as I think it's best to have an account where your mortgage is. Plus if i dont look at the direct debit account i can forget its there. Co-op is by far the worst. From memory Lloyd's and Natwest are similar to Halifax.

With mobile phones sell them at cex if you have one. They're great and tell you what you'll get upfront.

Get your SMP terms drawn out for you so you don't need to wrangle it while you're off xxx
    Originally posted by Kitten868
    Oh no I know you weren't I'm not very outspoken in person and find it hard to show annoyance to someones face - led me down a path of shut up and put up haha

Ooh I might give Nationwide a go then - will take a look at any switching deals - thanks!

Ah yeah, I do need it in writing! I have something in an email but it needs clearing up and confirming exactly what both sides can expect moving forward.

BEG - Shall also take a look at Natwest and Tesco - thanks for the tip!
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 8th Apr 18, 2:27 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    Happy Sunday all!

Tis typically a lazy day in this house, all going well I get the majority of the housework/washing etc done before sunday so we can relax. OH has just taken himself to bed as he's falling asleep, I'm chilling listening to music!

Did an Asda shop today which was more than expected, but 100% due to OH coming in with me and adding bits but tbh no more than our "average" weekly shop anyway so.. rolling with it.

Got a NatWest account I'll be using for the food shop and takeaways moving forward, just waiting on paydays to get it going.

Also done a weekly dinners plan and pinned a list to the fridge so we're not distracted.

Small goals achieved today - trying to stay awake myself!
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 9th Apr 18, 9:48 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    Ahhh monday.

I've received the shower quotes back and they're much higher than I thought they'd be I don't have enough in emergency funds to cover it and don't want to use a credit card (I probably don't even have enough credit left to do so) so we are stuck without a shower for the forseeable future.
    We can have baths of course but we're definitely people who shower more than bathe as it's quicker, we also use the shower to wash the dog (he currently stinks). I just don't know where I'm going to find 700 out of nowhere and obviously desperate to get this done before baby arrives as I 100% won't have that kind of money once he's here!

That's taking up all my headspace so far today, can't really concentrate on anything else. Especially as we probably could have juuuust scraped enough together for it if the stupid car salesman didn't use most of my 250 deposit on my car tax in one payment
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 9th Apr 18, 12:00 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    Maybe complain to the car company and say that you're not happy that the salesman chose to do that and it's now had a knock on effect that you no longer have a shower. You could always ring Citizens Advice and see if the car company did anything against the law .
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 9th Apr 18, 12:26 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    Maybe complain to the car company and say that you're not happy that the salesman chose to do that and it's now had a knock on effect that you no longer have a shower. You could always ring Citizens Advice and see if the car company did anything against the law .
    Originally posted by blue_eyed_girl123
    You know, it never occurred to me to complain. My dad was so loud and rude with it, I've grown up shying away from that kind of confrontation. I think I'll give them a call and see what they say.
    Thank you
    • blue_eyed_girl123
    • By blue_eyed_girl123 9th Apr 18, 12:44 PM
    • 73 Posts
    • 141 Thanks
    blue_eyed_girl123
    No worries, I sometimes find writing a letter or email is more helpful because it removes that confrontation and you can be clear in what you're saying without any need to be aggressive .
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 11th Apr 18, 9:55 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    Not much to report today - still being careful with money and I should hopefully not be overdrawn at all before pay day at the end of the month which would be the first time in forever!

Still umming and ahhing over the shower options. We do have some money gifted to us via cheque, not yet put in the bank, from OHs family as they wanted to contribute to putting plumbing in a kinda outside shed but it's attached to the house - we're going to be insulating and tiling it then adding the washing machine/tumble dryer in there so we can have a dishwasher in the kitchen.

At the moment it's just a junk storage shed with a spare fridge freezer inside (which I plan to fully utilize once I have my "go to" recipes for batch cooking) but others on our road have made them into a spare loo, utility room or just a large porch with lots of storage so I hate that ours is wasted space at the moment!
    Considering using that money for the more urgent need of a decent shower system over a less urgent need of a dishwasher.

In my 26th week of pregnancy now and the dizziness is starting to come back so struggling to get things done/move quickly which is really frustrating me. Also trying to train the dog to be more obedient and it's not going well
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 13th Apr 18, 12:06 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    Happy Friday everyone!

My bank switch has finally gone through, I moved a halifax account with 2 direct debits over to M&S so will hopefully receive a gift card in a few weeks which will help - I imagine we'll save it for when the maternity payments start to get a bit less so it helps us with food for a bit.

Once that's done will be looking at switching deals again. It's just my credit card min payment direct debits so don't mind them being moved around often, rather that than my actual main account - makes me anxious!

Prolific seems to have ground to a stop so only have about 7 in there at the moment. Leaving it for now, would rather build it up a bit.

We've decided to go ahead with the new thermostatic shower via credit card. I've moved some money from both mine and the OHs account to the Emergency Fund. With those amounts, plus half the actual Emergency Fund, we'll only have 150ish to pay on the credit card and between two people that's not a problem especially as it's 0% for 36 months (his name not mine).

I've done a home stock check of all our food and we have so much veg and all the basics like potatoes, rice and pasta it's really just meat we need so will do a small shop at the weekend to see us through the week.
    Also still haven't backed up and wiped our iPhones for selling. MUST do these tonight so we can actually post them off tomorrow!
    • jwil
    • By jwil 13th Apr 18, 4:05 PM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,356 Thanks
    jwil
    Just a thought - have you actually got any evidence that your car is taxed? Judging by the insurance debacle and now that we don't get tax discs any more. I'd be checking that straight away.
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 13th Apr 18, 4:10 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    Yeah he did actually do it so at least that's something! - checked online Due April 2019.
    • jwil
    • By jwil 14th Apr 18, 8:55 AM
    • 8,997 Posts
    • 28,356 Thanks
    jwil
    Yeah he did actually do it so at least that's something! - checked online Due April 2019.
    Originally posted by stinabean
    That's a relief!
    "If you can dream it, you can do it". Walt Disney
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 16th Apr 18, 12:42 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    Morning all - another weekend gone

Taken another look at money for OH's impending pay day and mine due at the end of the month. I feel like I do this every few days
    We're both looking ok. He's overdrawn this month as usual. This is due to a mix of him really not caring because his wages pays it (he's never in a huge amount) and we also visited family for 5 days so he paid for petrol etc involved with that.
    I cannot spend any money now until my pay day at the end of the month. We're set for lunches and dinners until Saturday, all organised and pinned on the fridge, then anything after that will be taken from the Food account that OH will have started his Standing Order from payday this week Feels like it's starting to take shape!

I don't need to buy anything until my pay day that I'm aware of, and if anything awful comes up we do have a small emergency fund.

Shower due to be fitted somewhere within the first two weeks of May, will be using OH's family money for that as by the time it's intended use rolls around we will have (fairly easily) saved up to replace it.

Starting the dog on clicker training today. Realised me and OH have different ideas/voice cues when trying to teach him things and we get frustrated and give up.
    Not this time! I need an obedient doggo for when baby arrives.

Think that's it! No more PAD-ing for me this month unfortunately unless I manage to shift some bits on eBay but I've paid more this month than I normally do so..!
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 30th Apr 18, 2:09 PM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    Little update as it's been a while, though nothing major to report.

I definitely went into my overdraft and definitely could have been avoided. It was a want rather than a need however I've been paid today and it's not the end of the world.

Dog training is going pretty well, he's a clever dog really it's just keeping on top of it!

Separate bank account for groceries and takeaway has helped massively, I now don't feel dread every time I do a food shop as it's all budgeted and accounted for!

Other than that, still waiting on the shower installation and resolution of Car complaint. Figured out SMP etc and I'm pretty covered in terms of essential outgoings while I'm off, just have to reign in the "need" to spend as I just won't have the funds!

Starting to put plans in place to make life easier for the first few months of parenthood, just routines and meal plans etc so the basics don't need worrying about.

That's all! Still in debt, but it's not increased so that's something.
    • stinabean
    • By stinabean 5th Jun 18, 11:43 AM
    • 99 Posts
    • 91 Thanks
    stinabean
    Long time no update as it's been a bit of a plod. Have cut down the extra credit card payments as have been needing the "spare" cash for baby bits to make sure we've got the essentials in time for next month. Still paying marginally over the minimum amount so they're ticking over.

Have switched a bank account a few times which has/will pay for food shopping, and doing the same for OH too

We've got some money from family still, earmarked towards a leaky gutter, water pipes for installing a washing machine and underlay/carpet for baby's room as the current is horrendously smelly from previous owners 3 cats peeing in there on the regular, so at least I'm not worrying about paying for all of that.

Neither of us have touched credit cards other than to pay off obviously so that's a huge step in the right direction!

We do have lots of family visits, have just said goodbye to the second lot and have the 3rd of 4th "lot" at the end of this week. Stretches our food budget a bit but should be fine.

Now trying to figure out proper routines of washing, meal plans, house cleaning so it's all easy to stay on top of and not some huge job that always needs completing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,521Posts Today

8,204Users online

Martin's Twitter