Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 1st Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    • 587Posts
    • 1,728Thanks
    RhiBi
    The light is well and truly on!'
    • 1st Apr 18, 6:19 PM
    The light is well and truly on!' 1st Apr 18 at 6:19 PM
    Hi everyone, I've hesitated to start a diary but after reading quite a few diaries, I'm taking the plunge! I thought I'd start by telling you a little about myself and am planning to post a SOA later when we've had a chance to sit down and work it out

So, I am Married with 4 daughter's aged 20, 17, 13 and 11. The eldest is in her 3rd year of university and the second is planning to start uni in September. We also have a cat and a dog!

I didn't work for approximately 10 years when the children were smaller, my husband has a fairly well paid job, but even so, we lived beyond our means. My mother lives in USA and we certainly took too many holidays across the pond in the children's earlier years. We've not been for 7 years now, although we have booked flights (which my mother kindly paid for) this summer as my eldest daughter's turn 21 & 18 in July.

I went back to work in 2014, initially working a few hours a week as a teaching assistant in my daughters' primary school. My hours have increased over time, however, in 2016 I was diagnosed with breast cancer which certainly had an effect in finances that were still feeling.

In February 2015 we took out a 15,000 loan to buy a used car and touring caravan. We had a fantastic summer in France in the can, but we soon realised that the van we bought didn't suit our needs, and in September of that year we part exchanged the van for one more suitable - taking out another loan for 11,000. In February 2016 I was diagnosed with breast cancer and was off work for 6 months, my sick pay was reduced after 12 weeks and again credit cards filled the gap. I had 5 operations in 5 months, the last being in July. I went back to work 6 weeks after my last op, mainly for financial reasons. In July 2016, the timing belt snapped on our car and we had little choice but to buy a car on finance. Husband needs a car to get to work, as a family of 6, a small car is not an option. We had another holiday to France booked, which we all really needed after the stress of my diagnosis. The upshot was that in the space of 16 months we'd taken out 3 loans.

I'm back in work and recently had my 2 year mammogram which was thankfully clear

In January this year, I came back to this site with a determination to sort our finances. I've joined a few challenges, and am starting to see the benefits. My Next account alone has gone from 2000 owed to 1370, just by PADding 2 a day in addition to the usual payments.

So, I think that's where we're at. Credit card debt is around 20,000 which is what I want to focus on. The loans are ticking downwards and for now we're happy for them to do that. If and when the cards are paid off then we'd look into making extra payments to the loans.

We've obviously got this holiday to consider too and we need to start getting a pot of spending money together. Hopefully, my soa and advice from everyone here will help with that.

I don't think I've ever written such a long forum post, so well doneif you've got this far!!
    Virtual Sealed Pot 2018 #7 173.69/250
Page 5
    • pidge04
    • By pidge04 28th Apr 18, 8:34 PM
    • 201 Posts
    • 258 Thanks
    pidge04
    (In a quiet voice...) thank you for your supportive message to me today - much appreciated.
    48 in Lidl - that's brilliant! May I ask what meals you have planned for this week? Always looking for inspiration!
    CC1 2400/954 CC2 3000/2389 CC3 600/523 LOAN 13,000/5462
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 28th Apr 18, 8:49 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    You're very welcome!

I do a big musclefood order every 2 months which means I buy very little meat in my weekly shop.

Main meals this week are:

Sunday - Roast chicken dinner
    Monday - chicken curry (with left over chicken
    Tuesday - chilli Con Carne (all ingredients already got)
    Wednesday - meatballs with tagliatelle and spicy passata sauce
    Thursday - chicken and peppers in peri peri sauce with rice and salad
    Friday - fajitas
    Saturday - homemade pizza

The only meat I've bought is the chicken for tomorrow's dinner. I've also got ingredients to make fairy cakes for the weeks packed lunches. We also have ham, tuna, cheese for packed lunch sandwiches as well as fruit and crisps. So that's the children's packed lunches for the week. I usually make soup to take to work and have everything here for that too!

We're not gourmet eaters by any means, but it works for us

Xxx
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 29th Apr 18, 1:31 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Afternoon!

Food prep is all done for roast dinner, and I've currently got chocolate fairy cakes in the oven for packed lunch! I may do some jam tarts too. I'm trying to bake things that I don't like much so that I'm not tempted to eat them, that means welsh cakes are off the menu!!!

The youngest daughter is back from a sleepover, she seems to have enjoyed although grumpy tiredness is now kicking in!!

I need to buy a toaster, ours is jamming and burning too much bread! I want a cheap one so looked on amazon and was shocked at some of the prices!!! One was over 200, needless to say I've not ordered one! My budget is 10 maximum!!

As I've mentioned previously I think, eldest daughter are 18 and 21 in July, 4 days apart - didn't think that one through did we!!! I want to get a jewellery keepsake but not spend a fortune. Looking on Etsy there's some lovely one for around 25 which is far better than the prices in some jewellers. I'm wary of buying without seeing them though, but I'll keep looking

One batch of cakes is out so I'll get the next lot in now, catch you later xxx
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 30th Apr 18, 4:35 PM
    • 3,143 Posts
    • 16,493 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Ooh, jam tarts
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 30th Apr 18, 8:16 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Evening! A cold day here today but at least it's been dry!

Work today was uneventful, lunch taken with me, I've currently got butternut squash soup cooking for work tomorrow!

The new money transfer has gone through to our bills account and so I've Paid 100 off the Next account, the balance is now 1159, next month I'll definitely be below 1000! I'll continue my PADding on that account too! I'm really pleased that since January I've knocked nearly 1000 off that bill alone! Once that bill is paid off, the snowballing will come into effect with the credit cards.

I really believe we can do this, I am so confident and focussed on it! This is an expensive year for us with 18th and 21st birthday, a daughter's graduation and a holiday, plus another daughter starting uni, so if we can make these inroads with all those expenses, next year will be even better!!

I'm going to sit with s cuppa and catch up on Corrie now! I'll be back later, my new habit is a cuppa in bed reading these forums!!
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 1st May 18, 9:51 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Evening! Fairly uneventful day today, I'm full of cold and have a sore throat so feeling sorry for myself! I've also had stomach pains which have thankfully now eased. I could feel my health paranoia starting to reawaken, overthinking aches and pains! I know it's normal after a cancer diagnosis, but I'm also able to recognise that it is irrational too! Two years on, the paranoia is getting a lot less, but does rear it's ugly head occasionally!

An nsd here today, planned meal was chilli, which I had everything here for! Tomorrow we're having peri peri chicken!

I've done my PADding of 5 to Next, and dh has paid one of the credit cards from the bills account. I did order shoes from Next yesterday as my daughter has her school prom, the dress has been bought but she needed shoes to go with it. These shoes will not be added to the Next bill, they're paid for

My plan is now to tuck myself up in bed with a cuppa and hope I feel better tomorrow!

Enjoy what's left of the evening everyone xxx
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 5th May 18, 8:32 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Morning! What a lovely day it looks

The cold is finally easing thank goodness, just in time for hay fever no doubt

A lovely king weekend ahead, a few little things planned, but not a lot really!

My daughter has an optician appointment this morning, she's 18 in July so sorting it out now whilst it's relatively cheap! After that, it's food shopping, meal planning and shopping list have been written whilst I'm sitting in bed! I think this afternoon I'll just sit out the garden for a bit and enjoy the sun.

Tomorrow we've planned a bit of geocaching, so no spends there.

Our new way of paying bills is going really well, and it's really focusing our spending too. We're writing down everything we spend and it's also making us think twice before buying something which is great. The bank balance is looking healthy, and I get paid in 10 days so I'm confident that I can add to the holiday spends pot and pay extra off our debts too!

All in all, it's looking good
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 5th May 18, 9:13 AM
    • 6,732 Posts
    • 14,321 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    Sounds like you are doing really well. Tracking spending is the best way to keeping on top of it. When you see it in black and white all added up at the end of the month it makes me think twice and try to do better the following month if we overspend on a budget.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 5th May 18, 9:29 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    I didn't realise how much living expenses were by the time we lost food shop, top ups, and petrol it's already over 100. Currently my daughter has a maths tutor which is 30 a week. That'll finish next month after the A levels are done so that'll be a huge help!

What I'm finding great is that every bill is paid out of our bills account, so there are no nasty surprises in the current account because of a forgotten direct debit! What we see is what we have, and I want to get the debt down so we are being very careful with our spends!
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 6th May 18, 9:00 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Morning! Another gorgeous day here!

Yesterday didn't go as planned, not a huge disaster but the spends went a little awry shall we say!!

It all started well with the food shopping at Aldi, shopped from my list that I'd made. Next onto Tesco to get the few things that Aldi didn't have. The sun shining and this is where we went off plan and ended up with some wine (that'll be nice in the garden as it's sunny), and suddenly we'd spent more in Tesco than we had in Aldi! Dh wanted to go to b&q to get a washing line as ours has broken so I looked around the garden centre, and bought seeds, a few plants (strawberry and tomato) compost and a little propagated, totalling 37...

Now, I could beat myself up about this, but I'm trying to be philosophical! It's things I did want (not need, I know). I didn't use a credit card and I still have more than enough in my budget for everything that needs paying. What it does mean is that the extra payments I was planning to make won't be as much as I'd hoped.

Back to it today, a relaxing no spend day, and enjoying time with my family
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 6th May 18, 10:05 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    My sealed tin is full so I'm going to open and count that today! The money will then go in the holiday spends pot!

I'll report back later with the total - I'm hoping for around 100!
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 7th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    I realise I'm Largely talking to myself here and am wondering whether to continue with the diary if I'm honest! I'm not sure there's much benefit in it... I'm feeling fed up and a bit down if I'm honest, so perhaps it's my mood making me feel this way.

Opened the sealed tin and there was 94 in there, a little disappointed as I really wanted it to be over the 100 mark! Oh well, it'll goin the holiday spends pot now!

Yesterday was a nsd, and today should be too. I'm just going to Potter around the house doing some chores, dh is working a 12 hr shift so he won't be in until around 9.30 tonight!

Hope you enjoy the bank holiday x
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 12th May 18, 10:22 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Morning, at last the weekend is here! Not a lot planned, food shopping (meal planning done) and cleaning. My youngest daughter isn't very well, so she's having a pj day. She's got a sore throat and high temp so she's having regular medicine and plenty of hugs!

I did something this morning which could have cost me dearly had my bank not been vigilant.

I saw trainers at a bargain price and as my daughter is in desperate need of new ones, I placed an order. The payment was declined and I had a text almost instantly from nationwide asking if I'd made the transaction and to contact them. The website was a Chinese one and I'd probably never have received the trainers. Thankfully nationwide blocked it, but I am worried that I had to set up an account to place the order, so they have my name, address, and maybe card number if it wasn't encrypted

I've been stupid and don't know what more I can do, so if anyone has any advice, I'd be grateful!
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 12th May 18, 1:10 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 2,091 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Cancel the card at the bank, explain why, and get them to send you a new one.
    GC. Oct.17 = 261.18/ 300 = + 38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = 354.89/300 = - 54.39

• RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 12th May 18, 1:51 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Cancel the card at the bank, explain why, and get them to send you a new one.
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    I'll do that now, it's a hassle but to be safe...
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 12th May 18, 7:12 PM
    • 3,143 Posts
    • 16,493 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    It could have happened to anyone. Don't beat yourself up
    JANUARY 2016/SECURED DEBT=24,822/March 2018=0 DEBT FREE 23/03/18
    MORTGAGE FREE 25/07/16
    • enthusiasticsaver
    • By enthusiasticsaver 12th May 18, 7:17 PM
    • 6,732 Posts
    • 14,321 Thanks
    enthusiasticsaver
    I agree, cancel the card.
    Debt free and mortgage free and early retiree. Living the dream

I'm a Board Guide on the Debt-Free Wannabe, Mortgages and Endowments, Banking and Budgeting boards. I volunteer to help get your forum questions answered and keep the forum running smoothly. Any views are mine and not the official line of moneysavingexpert.com. Pease remember, board guides don't read every post. If you spot an illegal or inappropriate post then please report it to forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 13th May 18, 1:56 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Hi, the card has been stopped so I just need to await it's replacement now, but of a hassle, but at least I know my account is safe now! Lesson learned, if something seems to good to be true, then it usually is.

Roast chicken dinner all prepped for later on, and I may cook a Christmas pudding that I found in the cupboard

I've done a little gardening this morning. I'm trying to grow some salad/vegetables I'm a complete novice, but it's a bit of fun! I need to do a bit of sewing later too so that'll earn me 15!

I've done a survey for Prolific too, I only joined a month ago and have over 19 which I'm pleased about!

Payday is Tuesday, I get my payslips by email, and it seems that the pay rise that unison have been fighting for has gone through! I've got just over 50 more so that'll go off the debts!

I'm not paying as much off as I'd like because of life getting in the way. I'm not going to beat myself up though as I've not used credit cards at all this year, and we're watching what we spend.. I know after September, it'll get a lot easier and hopefully we can really hammer the debts down!

I hope you're all having a good day!
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 16th May 18, 9:14 PM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Evening! Well the no card situation forced a few NSD's which wasn't a bad thing, however, it also meant I couldn't do my PADding either, which didn't please me! My card arrived today, my payday was yesterday, so 50 off the Next bill relieves my frustration somewhat!!!

The current account is looking very healthy, which is good! Dh gets paid on the 25th this month which is very early, he normally gets it on 28th but that's bank holiday Monday, so it's the Friday before. Everything is budgeted for though so it shouldn't cause a longer term issue!

By the end of this month, my Next bill will be below 1000! I am so happy with this, last night, I looked back at my December statement and the balance was 2182! The minimum payments have halved and the interest is decreasing. Never did I think I'd do it this quickly! Thank you for all the tips and encouragement, it's definitely helped!

I've made a cushion for someone this evening, so that'll be 15 I'll earn, and I've also got another more detailed one which will earn me 22, so all in all, things are looking good!
    • RhiBi
    • By RhiBi 29th May 18, 8:06 AM
    • 587 Posts
    • 1,728 Thanks
    RhiBi
    Morning! I've not posted on here in a while but today I need to!

Our debts are going down using the snowball method the Next account is the targeted account! Today, I've made a100 payment and so for the first time in years the debt is below 1000, 956 to be exact! There will be interest added in the next week or so, but it below 1000 enough that it won't go back above it - ever! When I started this journey in January, it was near 2200, by initially PADding in addition to the minimum payments I was chipping away at it. In April, we had an overhaul of our accounts after all the helpful advice on here and it's since dropping down phenomenally!

This should be cleared in the next few months and then the snowball will move on to CC1 which has a balance of 2600 and is on 20 months 0% interest. That'll be cleared well before that as we're currently paying 65 a month on that so the 100 Next payment will be transfered to that, plus I'll be PADding that account which means around 230 a month will be cleared on it!

Today feels s good day
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

131Posts Today

1,751Users online

Martin's Twitter