Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

    • javajim
    • By javajim 1st Apr 18, 5:08 PM
    • 142Posts
    • 17Thanks
    Travel Insurance?
    • #1
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:08 PM
    Travel Insurance? 1st Apr 18 at 5:08 PM
    My wife and I are going for a four day break to Bruges. We have EHIC cards, so do think we should take out additional travel insurance. We are both in our 70s
Page 1
    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 1st Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • 37,843 Posts
    • 21,987 Thanks
    • #2
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    • #2
    • 1st Apr 18, 5:11 PM
    Yes. .

    Ehic isn't travel insurance!

    It's some health cover. Won't protect you against needing repatriation (dead or alive!)

    Or usual issues covered by travel insurance ,- cancellation/loss of property/delay/ etc
    Last edited by Quentin; 01-04-2018 at 5:14 PM.
    • Loiner Paul
    • By Loiner Paul 15th Apr 18, 11:29 PM
    • 1 Posts
    • 0 Thanks
    Loiner Paul
    • #3
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:29 PM
    Travel insurance request.
    • #3
    • 15th Apr 18, 11:29 PM
    On booking my upcoming Jet2 summer holiday, I was told be the telephone agent that I could be randomly asked to provide proof of holiday insurance at check-in. Since this is covered under my bank's current account package, I don't have this document. I was told I could have it if I paid for it, but that's not the point.
    It was intimated by the Jet2 agent that I could be prevented from departing if I didn't have this document. (I will stand to be corrected on my interpretation of this comment!).

    So, I have to ask: Is there any legal requirement for holiday makers to demonstrate proof of insurance?
    I cannot see anything on the Jet2 website terms and conditions to this effect?

    Any help on this would be appreciated.

    • Quentin
    • By Quentin 16th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • 37,843 Posts
    • 21,987 Thanks
    • #4
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    • #4
    • 16th Apr 18, 9:36 AM
    Sounds like an over zealous sales agent trying it on!!

    (Separately though you should take proof of your travel insurance details and contact numbers with you when travelling - you may need to use them abroad in the event of any incident that you are covered by)
    Last edited by Quentin; 16-04-2018 at 9:55 AM.
    • By CHRISSYG 18th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • 5,765 Posts
    • 16,622 Thanks
    • #5
    • 18th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    • #5
    • 18th Apr 18, 5:26 PM
    Absolutely get insurance , my daughters £34 policy ended up covering almost £18k in medical expenses , repatriation etc after she broke her leg in Kenya .
    The costs would have been lees if it had happened in Europe as they would have just transported her by road but even then the cost would have been significant.
    Also declare EVERYTHING even if it doesnt affect travel as its the first conversation you will have with them .
    Be careful who you entrust with the care of you vulnerable loved ones there’s a lot of bottom feeding scum posing as normal human beings !
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

290Posts Today

4,370Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • RT @laurawithers84: @MartinSLewis Our school is going to use your book for our new finance fortnight for year 8 students. We thought we wou?

  • RT @katiejane13uk: ????????IMPORTANT - CALLING ALL LEASEHOLDERS TO COMPLETE???????? @mhclg Leasehold Reform Consultation closes this month. This is the?

  • Just sent a text about postgrad loans. My Swype text auto-corrected it to pothead loans. Does it know something I don't?

  • Follow Martin