Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 1st Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 351Posts
    • 4,525Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful
    • 1st Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful 1st Apr 18 at 3:23 PM
    Hello!
    I think this is my third diary - I posted regularly for a long time a year or two ago and then life just got in the way and my focus changed.
    So much has happened recently that I think a new start and a record of my successes and hiccups will help to keep me on track.

So, what's changed...? Well, I'm on the senior leadership team at a large secondary school, live alone with an ancient fat little dog and am in the process of becoming single again after 5 years. My OH became my boss in September and its been downhill since then really, I won't bore you with the details but it's not been great and I finally broached it with him last week and he hasn't spoken to me since ...... Not the reaction I'd hoped for but perhaps expected.
    Earlier this year, I was passed over for a job that I've been doing informally for almost a year and that didn't help matters and have finally found the gumption to start applying for new jobs. That didn't go down well with OH either but he encouraged me to at the time of the original job issue, don't think he thought I would. I've found the work situation really difficult as nobody knows the real reason I didn't get the job and now it's at the point that I don't want to be there anymore.

On top of that, I had some health news that stopped me in my tracks in February - I have the breast cancer gene and have a one in three chance of developing it in the next 8 years.... The hospital have been great and there's a prevention and monitoring plan in place including taking tamoxifen (not lovely side effects but better than cancer!) and lots of screening, but if I'm honest, it's made me reevaluate life a bit.
    Add to that lot that my dad has prostrate cancer that may have spread ( new biopsies soon to confirm ) and the worry that brings (my mum is useless and my sister has disabilities and with the best will in the world still needs care) and I've just had to say enough is enough - I'm 46 and things need to change, life is too short!!

So to sum up.... Relationship going down the swanny, need a new job, health needs serious attention and family all need looking after.

So a new start..... Here we go!! Xx
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 01-04-2018 at 3:26 PM.
Page 8
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 13th May 18, 11:26 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning all. It's a lovely sunny Sunday morning and I've tried to make the most of it so far. Got up early (stayed at OHs) and walked the dog, then went for a shorter run but did my fastest splits yet (getting better!) and then picked up the new Hoover and did a quick whip round Aldi for some fresh bits -16 spent.
    Have assembled the Hoover and done the whole house - it's much more powerful than the old one! Nearly sucked the carpets up! Dusted everywhere and cleaned the kitchen and sorted the bins so apart from the bathrooms (which I'll do later) the house is nice and clean.

Going to do a little bit of work for an hour or two and then maybe join OH on his round of golf for a walk in the sunshine this afternoon. Definitely won't be playing!

He's talking about going to our friends farmhouse in France for a few days over half term - he's investigating flights as I type.

Need to do a load of washing and change the bed other than that no big plans for today. Going to try to have at least some time off work today.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 13th May 18, 9:41 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Had a lovely but tiring afternoon - walked around the golf course with OH for 3.5 hours, sounds dreadful but I actually really enjoyed it. The sun was shining, it was really peaceful (apart from the odd expletive from OH!!) and it was nice to be in the fresh air. We had a quick drink afterwards in the club house and then went our separate ways home. Have done 21000 steps today - my feet are pooped...

A bit of news.... OH has booked us flights to France during half term - we'll be away from Sunday to Thursday, it should be a nice break, with no work. He's still clearly either a changed man or on best behaviour....

I have a list of jobs to do this week, some of which are now urgent -
    1. Sort passport
    2. Driving licence
    3. Ensure the job process goes smoothly - all sent off, just waiting for the sate to sign paperwork now
    4. Book doctors appointment - done, Friday
    5. Book nurse appointment - postponing until after doctors appointment
    6. Book dog haircut - emailed mobile groomer
    7. Sort phone upgrade
    8. Cut the grass - done
    9. Clean the car
    10. Look into getting a heating engineer to look at the hot water - working but oddly hot or cold at times

The GCSEs start tomorrow so all hell will break loose in work - anticipating weepy bedlam for the next two weeks. Tomorrow is a long day with a long meeting after school so will be tired but need to sort at least one or two of the jobs above too.
    Better have an early night tonight - will need all my energy tomorrow
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 14-05-2018 at 8:38 PM.
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 14th May 18, 12:20 PM
    • 327 Posts
    • 2,099 Thanks
    Chrystal
    Brill news about the France break.... maybe he's realised he needs you more than you need him??
    GC. Oct.17 = 261.18/ 300 = + 38.82 NSDs 20/31
    GC. Sept.17 = 354.89/300 = - 54.39

• mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 14th May 18, 7:59 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Brill news about the France break.... maybe he's realised he needs you more than you need him??
    Originally posted by Chrystal
    Maybe.... Should have been more hardcore years ago!

Not a bad day at work - long and tiring but no major dramas. The exam season has now kicked off - all seemed to go ok today. It's a big one tomorrow - Science - so fingers crossed it will continue.
    Managed to get the new job paperwork all sent off ok and booked a doctors appointment for Friday to get my first repeat prescription. Hopefully, it will just be a routine setting up of the process and I can just do it online after that.

Left work at 6pm then took the dog for a trot round the park in the sunshine, made a nice salad to go with quiche for tea and then cleaned the kitchen, sorted the bins and tidied the dry washing away.
    Going to cut the front lawn after Corrie and then do the passport online paperwork- two more jobs ticked off the list
    Then I'll watch the new series Innocent and have an earlyish night. Rock and roll!!
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 15th May 18, 4:51 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    A busy but good Tuesday - it was the first science exam today and apparently went well according to the children - fingers crossed. I prepped them as well as I could - we'll see, at least they've had a confident start.

Also managed to get my online passport application done - picking it up from the passport office in Liverpool on Saturday afternoon - not cheap but necessary... I could have saved 70 if I'd been organised and done it before it expired but at least it's done now.

Taken the dog to the park in the sunshine after work and saw my old vet with his new puppy - absolutely gorgeous and huge! The dog that is!!
    Also spoke to Dad - he has his biopsy results tomorrow - seems understandably nervous. Will ring tomorrow to see what they say.

Going to go for a run this evening and have a little bit of prep for a meeting tomorrow to do but other than that no plans.

8 more working days to half term.....
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 16th May 18, 11:49 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Oh my god......
    Everything went mental last night - got a call from the new Head's PA at 6.30pm to come in today and do a full formal interview at the request of the governors.
    So, I had to write a lesson to teach, a presentation to deliver and prep interview questions last night!! Worked solidly from 6.30 - 12.30 then went to bed to get up at 4.30 to finish it all off.....

Have just finished the whole interview thing and the governors are "deliberating", just have to wait around in a room in my own until they've finished.

Twiddling my thumbs and just want food! Am starving!!!
    • EscapingTheAlarm
    • By EscapingTheAlarm 16th May 18, 12:06 PM
    • 104 Posts
    • 227 Thanks
    EscapingTheAlarm
    That sounds horrendous! I hope it has no effect on whether or not you get the job!
    I am keeping my fingers crossed for both you and your dad today!
    ETA x
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 16th May 18, 12:22 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 8,671 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Oh my goodness. Fingers crossed it's just a formality - thinking of you.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 16th May 18, 5:45 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Good news !!! It was all just for show - got formally offered the job 20 mins after I wrote the last post
    Have a letter to seal the deal and went back to my school, told OH, taught 2 lessons and then formally resigned......
    Feels very strange....but I suppose it's the start of a new chapter.
    Remarkably, OH has been very good - helped me with the presentation content last night, texted first thing this morning to wish me luck and has been really understanding and supportive this afternoon during the resignation process.
    It's all very sad but good at the same time.

Had an upbeat message from mum saying that they were going out for tea and she'd ring me later - hopefully that's a good sign too - fingers crossed xx

Am shattered now I've sat down, just pottered round the park with dog in the sunshine and need to catch up on the day's email and events in a minute but otherwise no plans for tonight. Looking forward to a soak in the bath, some nice tea and an early night..... Wouldn't want to have too many repeats of the last 24 hours.....
    • Honeysucklelou2
    • By Honeysucklelou2 16th May 18, 7:13 PM
    • 921 Posts
    • 3,719 Thanks
    Honeysucklelou2
    Wow, what a 24 hours...Well done on formally getting the job.
    paydbx #93 692/8,000.
    Loan 17k - paid off in Aug 2017. Home improvement loans 3342 March 2017. 3123 in Jan 18
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 17th May 18, 6:16 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning, finally got some sleep last night - feeling much better this morning.
    Just walked the dog and am looking forward to a busy day at work - it's the chemistry exam this morning so fingers crossed that goes ok.
    My resignation will be announced this morning too - I'll be the talk of the town for 24 hours....

More good news - Dad's results came back and the cancer hasn't spread
    They managed to control it and it hasn't grown further in the original site and they can't find evidence of it elsewhere so a huge relief. What a day yesterday turned out to be for the Mumblingtaff household....all good though.

Right better get in the shower and get sorted for the day.
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 17th May 18, 12:13 PM
    • 1,468 Posts
    • 6,956 Thanks
    MeandO
    Congratulations MT and such wonderful news about your Dad. Hopefully this is the start of better times for all of you! xx
    Mortgage Feb 2015: 102,000 Mortgage now: 75,530

2018 OP's: J:129.26 F:287 M:150 A:157.31 M:164.19 J:427.95 J:157.40/150
    Emergency Fund: 600/5000
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 17th May 18, 12:56 PM
    • 1,592 Posts
    • 8,671 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Congratulations all round. Relieved for you about your Dad, darling relative has her scan on Monday so we're all on tenterhooks. And good news it was just for show about the job too. Not surprised that you're emotionally drained at all - be kind to yourself this weekend.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 17th May 18, 5:26 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Thank you MeandO and Joey - it's been a bit of a week to say the least. Fingers crossed for the scan Joey xxx

Am absolutely knackered - bit of a funny day with people finding out I'm leaving. Lots of lovely comments though.
    I also seem to have developed a cold - sore throat and headache - hopefully I can ward it off before it gets stuck in.
    Seeing OH later - will probably come home to sleep though - want to be in my own bed tonight to try to sleep it off.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 19th May 18, 7:13 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Still have a streaming cold and sore throat. Feel worn out. Stayed at OHs last night but slept really poorly so got up at 6am to come home to let him sleep a bit - I was up and down all night.
    Have to work this morning but should be finished by 12.30 and then I'm off to Liverpool to collect my passport at 2.30. Could really do without it today but needs must.
    Just tidied the kitchen, will whip the Hoover round downstairs now and then am about to have a soak in the bath before walking the dog and setting off for work. If I'm honest , all I want to do today is sleep but that will have to wait until this afternoon. Hopefully, I'll perk up as the day goes on.
    Went to the doctors for my first repeat prescription of Tamoxifen so need to collect that at some point today too.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 20th May 18, 9:24 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning! Feeling much more human today. The cold seems to have cleared and I'm just left with hay fever now - used to that though.
    Picked up my passport yesterday - was quite impressed with the service - was in there 10 mins and had no issues. Expensive but efficient

Spent an hour or two snoozing in the garden when I got back then cleaned the house, changed the bed and OH came over for the evening and stayed over.
    Was up quite early as we went to bed fairly early and so have taken the dog to the park for a long potter around, cleaned the kitchen, sorted the bins and put a load of washing on. Popped to the little local tesco for a few bits for the week, as we're going away next weekend I'm going to have a use it up week rather than stocking up.

So, it's 9.30 on a lovely sunny Sunday morning and I have no big plans for the first time in ages - will have a relaxed day for a change.
    Just a few more jobs to do then a bit of sunbathing and reading in the garden will be in order.....

1. Second load of washing - in now
    2. Cut back garden grass - done
    3. Quick run to shake off the cobwebs - done
    4. Hoover out the car and wipe the surfaces down - done
    5. Pull out clothes for next week's little holiday and wash if necessary- done
    6. Mark a set of test papers
    7. Update a doc for work (should only take 20 mins) - done
    8. Do the banking and pay a bill for the old car that arrived yesterday

Other than that I'm doing absolutely nothing
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 20-05-2018 at 9:05 PM.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 20th May 18, 9:33 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Forgot to add that I weighed this morning and have lost over half a stone
    I thought clothes felt a bit loose and that my wobbly bits were less wobbly.
    I've been so busy for the last few weeks that I've just not thought much about food etc and have been running quite a bit (2 or 3 times a week) so it's just happened without me obsessing over it.
    Another half a stone and I'd be where I'd like to be.
    Now that's an incentive to get up off the sofa and get my run done......
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 20th May 18, 11:32 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Had a busy couple of hours - have done a fairly short run to test how I'm feeling, wasn't too bad considering I've been under the weather. Then, whilst still sweaty and unwashed, cut the grass and hoovered out and cleaned the inside of the car. Just put the dirty exercise clothes and other bits in the washing machine and am about to have a little sit in the garden for a while.
    I've decided to do the little bit of work I have to do tonight to make the most of the fresh air and sunshine.
    Let the lazing about commence......
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 20th May 18, 9:07 PM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Had a lovely afternoon reading a book in the garden - You Before Me by Jojo Moyes. Managed to read half of it so it must be good. Done a little bit of work and popped over to OHs for an hour and am settling down to watch the new Hugh Grant programme on bbc1 before a nice early night.
    Feel like I've had a day off!
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 21st May 18, 6:04 AM
    • 351 Posts
    • 4,525 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning all!
    Looks like it's going to be another nice day - just walked the dog and it's pretty warm already.
    On paper, today doesn't look too bad - not much teaching and a shortish meeting after school. Going to try to take the dog back to the vet this evening if I can get an appointment - the antibiotics have improved his sore mouth a bit but he's still not right and refuses to let anyone touch it. He's desperate for a haircut and I can't get it done until his mouth is sorted out - he's too furry and it's not nice for him in this hot weather.

Need to sit down tonight and do the finances too - now everything is settling down I need to look at where I am and get a grip on spending again. I'm not sure it will be pleasant.....

Right, going to tidy away the dry washing and then get in the shower - last week of work before half term - hurrah!!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,525Posts Today

8,583Users online

Martin's Twitter