Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 1st Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 531Posts
    • 5,136Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful
    • 1st Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful 1st Apr 18 at 3:23 PM
    Hello!
    I think this is my third diary - I posted regularly for a long time a year or two ago and then life just got in the way and my focus changed.
    So much has happened recently that I think a new start and a record of my successes and hiccups will help to keep me on track.

So, what's changed...? Well, I'm on the senior leadership team at a large secondary school, live alone with an ancient fat little dog and am in the process of becoming single again after 5 years. My OH became my boss in September and its been downhill since then really, I won't bore you with the details but it's not been great and I finally broached it with him last week and he hasn't spoken to me since ...... Not the reaction I'd hoped for but perhaps expected.
    Earlier this year, I was passed over for a job that I've been doing informally for almost a year and that didn't help matters and have finally found the gumption to start applying for new jobs. That didn't go down well with OH either but he encouraged me to at the time of the original job issue, don't think he thought I would. I've found the work situation really difficult as nobody knows the real reason I didn't get the job and now it's at the point that I don't want to be there anymore.

On top of that, I had some health news that stopped me in my tracks in February - I have the breast cancer gene and have a one in three chance of developing it in the next 8 years.... The hospital have been great and there's a prevention and monitoring plan in place including taking tamoxifen (not lovely side effects but better than cancer!) and lots of screening, but if I'm honest, it's made me reevaluate life a bit.
    Add to that lot that my dad has prostrate cancer that may have spread ( new biopsies soon to confirm ) and the worry that brings (my mum is useless and my sister has disabilities and with the best will in the world still needs care) and I've just had to say enough is enough - I'm 46 and things need to change, life is too short!!

So to sum up.... Relationship going down the swanny, need a new job, health needs serious attention and family all need looking after.

So a new start..... Here we go!! Xx
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 01-04-2018 at 3:26 PM.
Page 18
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 6th Aug 18, 7:51 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Have finally sorted out the shoe mountain at the bottom of the wardrobe - 2 big carrier bags full of unredeemable shoes, boots and sandals now gone
    I still need to tidy out the main wardrobe and make a big charity shop donation - I can't crowbar one more thing in there and there's stuff that I'll never wear again or haven't worn in years. I need to look after my clothes better - I do have some nice things that I never wear because they're crammed in and forgotten about.
    Maybe tomorrow....
    • Chrystal
    • By Chrystal 6th Aug 18, 10:50 PM
    • 535 Posts
    • 3,535 Thanks
    Chrystal
    I love Karin Slaughters books. Totally lose myself in the storyline and am oblivious to whatever is going on around me.... bliss
    I Believe.....
    That it isn't always enough, to be forgiven by others.
    Sometimes, you have to learn to forgive yourself.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 7th Aug 18, 7:19 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    They are good aren't they Chrystal!

Up early today - wide awake at 6am with no hope of going back to sleep.
    I'm meeting my successor for my old job for coffee to go through a few things to help him get his head around processes etc this lunchtime - I do know him so it's not scary and should only take an hour or so.

Going to take the dog to the park soon and then possibly go for a medium length run if my legs don't feel too stiff once I've warmed up a bit.
    I've already tidied out the bathroom cabinet this morning - I opened it and something fell out so I had a sort through. There's a bit more space in there now.
    Today's job off the list is to go through the wardrobe and be firm with myself with regards to what I want to keep. When that's done the only sorting out and decluttering jobs left to do are the study and a tidy up of the airing cupboard and then every nook and cranny will have been culled.

Right, better get changed and head to the park......
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 7th Aug 18, 11:12 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Dog walked and run done - just a medium length one today.
    Then decided to have a go at the wardrobe - an hour and a half later and I have two bins bags of unwanted clothes ready for the charity shop. Weirdly, the wardrobe is still full so I don't know where it all came from.....
    I still have a couple of drawers and the long skinny part of the wardrobe to go through but I'm getting there.

Just having a little rest before getting showered and having a quick sandwich to save me from buying lunch at my meeting when there's plenty of food in the house (a drink will do).
    • anna_1977
    • By anna_1977 7th Aug 18, 12:18 PM
    • 782 Posts
    • 1,053 Thanks
    anna_1977
    well you've inspired me! I've just read your diary whilst bored at work, you're doing v well.

I feel the need to go home and tidy out cupboards this evening, I have a HUGE selection of different size clothes that I really don't need to hold onto. It's only the 30 degree heat that will be stopping me. I've also rejoined the running club I belonged to 3 years ago, having got super fit I've put on the full 3 stone i lost and am now (as of 10 mins ago) on a mission to lose it all - SW and running

Good luck, I will be following your diary
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 8th Aug 18, 10:28 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Thank you Anna!
    Good luck with it all.

Feeling a big worse for wear this morning - OH did an impromptu barbecue last night and we sat out drinking wine until it got too cold, then carried on indoors. No reason for it apart from I think he's finally feeling better. I'm sure the hangover will pass as the morning goes on but feeling a bit yukky at the moment.
    Have taken the dog to the park and popped to the shop for more dog food and bin bags so I can continue the wardrobe clear out. Am determined to get it finished today, I've found things that I forgot I had and wore a top and pair of wedges yesterday that hadn't seen the light of day for at least a year and was told that my new outfit looked nice! It's like shopping without spending anything!

No big plans for today other than Project Declutter - I don't think I'm up for running today (will call it a rest day ) but I might go for a walk later if the weather is ok. I'll do a clean of upstairs when the sorting is finished so it's all nice and spic and span.
    Right, let's get the wardrobe finished.....
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 8th Aug 18, 12:45 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Hurrah!!! The bedroom declutter is finally finished!! Every drawer, wardrobe, box and corner has been sorted through, cleaned and tidied. I've even changed the bed, turned the mattress, hoovered throughout upstairs and dusted. Two more bags destined for the charity shop and some more in the bin.
    I've split the charity donations into two lots - one for the shop in the village and another for the centre that supports my disabled sister - they have a shop that sells pretty much anything, so the good quality and really good condition things are going there. Every little will help and they've done so much for her that I'm really grateful to them, they give my parents a break too and she loves it there. They provide massage, reiki, swimming, social events and company for people like my sister and she's made loads of friends there. They have absolutely no funding and have to raise cash themselves for everything they do so it's a great cause.

Just the study to go now and then the whole house has been organised. I'll think about starting that tomorrow. Lots of work things to go through and recycle or cull so I need to be a bit more with it to tackle that
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 8th Aug 18, 5:53 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    After a nice bath and a bit of grooming (nails, toenails, face mask and deep conditioning of hair) I felt much more human and so took the dog to the big park whilst the sun was out for a nice potter around. Then, came home and cut the front lawn, hoovered and dusted downstairs, tidied the kitchen and put the washing on. The natural order of life has now been restored ........

Think I'm staying in tonight (a good sleep is needed) - will watch some of my new found TV programmes for a while and maybe tidy out the airing cupboard - how very rock and roll!!
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 8th Aug 18, 6:03 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Household
    Paint downstairs toilet
    Paint bathroom
    Tidy study and chuck unnecessary clutter
    Tidy out main wardrobe - done
    Get bedroom decorated
    Sort shower room refit
    Sort shoes - done
    Tidy out storage box in downstairs loo - done
    Clean microwave - done
    Clean fridge - done
    Tidy out boot of car
    Clean conservatory blinds
    Take old TV to the tip
    Tidy out cupboard under the stairs - done
    Charity shop donations - done
    Sort the leak in the attic - done
    Investigate getting dining room chairs reupholstered
    Wash winter coats - done

Shopping
    Buy new work shoes and 2 suits
    Dry cleaning - done
    Buy new bras
    Buy makeup using Selfridges vouchers - done
    Sort out phone upgrade - done
    Buy new running gear

Health and Wellbeing
    Lose 7 lbs
    Get eyebrows done
    Run x3 a week - doing ok so far
    Medical appointments
    Register at the dentist
    Cook more rather than eat convenience food - so far so good
    Get back into the habit of taking vitamins and calcium daily - back on track

Leisure
    Investigate TV options for subscriptions - installed Amazon fire stick I forgot I had, it's like a whole new world!
    Use meerkat movies for cheap evenings out
    Look into buying new iPad or tablet
    Read 8 books - read 2 so far
    Go on a few new walks
    Visit parents - done
    Invite parents to stay - done
    Arrange at least 2 or 3 meet ups with old work colleagues to keep in touch - done

Finances
    Do July salary budget - done
    Look at credit card swap
    Try to continue using up toiletries, smellies and not buy more unnecessarily - doing ok, stocks are dwindling
    Investigate swapping mortgage protection insurance

Work
    Look at new chemistry spec
    Write lessons for first month back
    Create new subject review docs for new job
    Process GCSE results in August
    Originally posted by mumblingtaff
    Just an update to keep me on track
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 9th Aug 18, 9:32 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning all!
    Been up since 5.30 - just couldn't sleep anymore. Got up and watched a couple of episodes of Grace and Frankie and then took the dog to the park for 45 mins. Before I lost momentum, I dropped the dog off at home and went to the water park to do a medium length run. It's a lovely sunny day and not too warm yet so I actually quite enjoyed it and felt quite good.

I've decided to go to the big out of town M&S and Next this morning to have a look for work suits and get my bra size measured and hopefully buy some new everyday bras.

I started the study clear out last night and have half filled the paper recycling bin already! Will try to finish it off today so the house is completely decluttered.
    Also watched a documentary called Mommy Dead and Dearest about a girl who's mother had Munchausens by proxy - the girl ended up being convicted of murder. Really interesting and slightly disturbing true story - it's probably available on catchup TV if anyone is interested.

Going to have a little sit down then a shower and then head off of the shops. Will report back on any purchases ......
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 9th Aug 18, 4:01 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Successful shopping trip - bought a skirt suit (that I need to try on again at home to be sure), a heather coloured jacket and a pale pink jacket, 3 tops (2 for work and one for the autumn), 2 everyday bras, 2 packets of knickers and a pair of shoes. Some of it was in the sale and a total bargain so the damage wasn't too bad and budgeted for - already transferred the money to the current account to cover it.
    Need to re-evaluate the work wardrobe - it was the first one I tidied out and I could probably be more ruthless to make room for the new stuff.

Convinced myself to come home and have a sandwich rather than eat out to save a few pounds. Ate it in the garden and then fell asleep for an hour on the lounger - got up too early this morning......

Going to OHs this evening, not sure whether I'll stay over or not yet.
    No study tidying yet today but I might have a sudden spurt of energy, you never know!
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 10th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning all! Stayed over at OHs and had a bit of a lie in until 9am so a bit of a later start today. Just back from taking the dog to the park - it's definitely cooler today and the sky is now full of big black clouds, think it's going to pour down soon.

It's the final push on the tidying front today - the study needs finishing and I'm going to do a second pass of the work wardrobe to see if I can get rid of anything else so the new things aren't crushed and ruined before they're even worn.

I might do a short run later - having an unexpected "lady moment" and am a bit tired and achey so will see how it goes.

Just withdrawn 50 cash from the cashpoint for the weekend - no big plans yet but I'm sure we'll end up doing something.
    Right on cue, it's started to rain - good excuse to not run yet......
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 10th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 36,299 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    I'm jealous of your motivation. I've barely managed to get off the sofa today and I feel guilty just reading at the moment
    December in the Tardis #16 nsd = 8 New life = new debt
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid 28,447
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 10th Aug 18, 2:02 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    It's the holidays Cat - we're supposed to struggle to get off the sofa Stay where you are!!!

Have finally finished the study sort out - the big recycling bin is full to the brim and the normal bin is also almost full (with nearly two weeks before they're collected.....hmmmm). It doesn't actually look too different but the old stuff has gone and everything from my old office at work now has a home instead of the boot of the car or the downstairs loo!
    I've found plenty of stationery and pens etc so won't need to buy anything new for September - I also have a new lovely leather bound Moleskin notebook for my new job, one of my leaving presents. I go through one a term as I write everything down due to having a rubbish memory so it's part of me when I'm in work.

I also found the paperwork for the conservatory from 15 years ago that clearly has PPI - will try to investigate whether I'm due a refund but I've tried phoning the number on the paperwork and it's disconnected. Will do a bit of sleuthing this afternoon......

Just thinking about my grocery budget for this month - I originally budgeted 180 and have spent 85 so far with 95 left. I'm going on holiday on the 23rd so it's only 12 days to cater for really. I'd like to try to save at least 30 of it to use for taxis etc to the airport. If I'm a bit less lazy about what I'm eating I'm sure I'll be able to do it. I do have visitors for 2 nights to think about but there's usually a lot of eating out with them so it's just treats and the basics to buy out of the ordinary.

I also need to review the mortgage protection insurance - will ring them this afternoon and have a look at alternatives.
    Going to veg out with a bit of Judge Rinder now - have tidied myself to a standstill but it's all done - hurrah!!!!
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 11th Aug 18, 9:29 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning! Had a pleasant evening - went to the pub with OH and the dog for a quick drink and then home at 8ish for takeaway pizza and ice cream. Bad but good..... I wore my new top and jeans with some nice heels I forgot I had and some jewellery dug out during the declutter and was complimented on how I looked - should make more of an effort more often....
    Stayed over but didn't sleep very well but am trying to ignore that fact as I'm meeting OH for a run at 10 am and I want I do a fairly long one to negate some of the naughty food from last night.
    Just taken the dog to the park for a trot around - it's a nice sunny day so far but definitely cooler.

OH's son is visiting from late afternoon until tomorrow so will leave them to some boy time and amuse myself.
    Will have a think about what to do after my run, depending on how tired I am. I looked into mortgage protection insurance yesterday and it seems that the cover I already have is as good as anything else available so I'm not going to bother changing anything. One more job ticked off the list though
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 11th Aug 18, 12:09 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    6km run done - happy with that. Felt ok and running with OH always makes me a bit competitive and carry on for longer.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 11th Aug 18, 1:12 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 9,141 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    You're very inspiring with the walking and the running. Dog comes with me when I run and that's him mostly done except for a potter late evening.

I've not run for a few weeks now due to the heat and then I managed to twist my ankle when we were decorating. It feels so much better now and DH and DS1 have gone away for a few days to visit family so I'm planning to go this evening and see how that goes. I'm going to go back to one of the middle weeks on the 5K plan and see how much Sarah Millican can persuade me to do. I'll just run on past the instructions if it feels ok.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 11th Aug 18, 10:11 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Hope it went well Joey - I always feel loads better when I've had a run no matter how long or short it is. Good for the body and mind.
    Spent the afternoon with OH watching Netflix and then walked the dog and have watched the Eye in the Sky this evening on C4 - really good so far, enjoying it.
    Will go to bed afterwards and will hopefully be up for another run in the morning xx
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 12th Aug 18, 12:36 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 9,141 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Failure I'm afraid. The heavens opened and I spent ages mopping staircases, trying to close the skylights (directly above the stairs so really hard for 5ft5in me - easy for the 6ft4+ OH and DS1 who are away), then finding buckets to go under each one to catch the drips from not closing them properly.
    This morning I did manage a light jog for dog's 6km circuit. Didn't feel too bad on my ankle but it wasn't a proper run so I'll try later if the weather plays ball.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 12th Aug 18, 4:19 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Well done for getting out there! As I say, anything is better than nothing!
    I haven't run today - it chucked it down this morning and I'm not a fan of running in the rain. Hope your mini flood is ok now?

I decided (stupidly) to redecorate the downstairs loo/cloakroom today (another job from the summer holiday list). I already had the emulsion for the walls and brushes and rollers so only needed to get some white emulsion for the ceiling and some gloss. Popped to Wickes on the way back from tesco and spent 20 on paint and then flung myself into it. It's taken all day!!! 2 coats on the walls and ceiling and a gloss coat on the wood work (will need to go over a little bit of the wood round the toilet again but it's a 10 min job when it's dry). I'm knackered now and my back is killing me but it looks much better.
    Going to take the dog out for a walk in a bit to loosen me up again.

Did a grocery shop first thing and spent 34 but that did include some nice pasta bowls that were reduced and I just fancied them. I shouldn't need anymore than a few fresh bits prior to holidays now as I bought some stuff for the freezer too to keep me going and discourage another big shop. There's 61 left in the grocery budget so I should manage to save at least the 30 I'd hoped towards holiday taxis etc.
    Also put 25 of diesel in the car as it was down to dregs but that was budgeted for and should last through to the next pay day now.

OH has his son staying over tonight so I'll leave them to it and potter about here and watch some telly. We watched the first two episodes of The Sinner on Netflix yesterday and it's quite good, can't work out who or why yet so will maybe watch another episode later. Still ploughing through Grace and Frankie too (on series 3 now).

Going to try to get started on some work tomorrow morning - my brain is ready to start working again now after 3 weeks off - the weather forecast isn't great and so it's a good opportunity to get cracking.

Right, need some fresh air and to move around so it's a dog walk followed by a soak in the bath - where has the day gone??
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,813Posts Today

7,784Users online

Martin's Twitter