Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 1st Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    • 531Posts
    • 5,136Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful
    • 1st Apr 18, 3:23 PM
    All change..... Determined to be solvent, single and successful 1st Apr 18 at 3:23 PM
    Hello!
    I think this is my third diary - I posted regularly for a long time a year or two ago and then life just got in the way and my focus changed.
    So much has happened recently that I think a new start and a record of my successes and hiccups will help to keep me on track.

So, what's changed...? Well, I'm on the senior leadership team at a large secondary school, live alone with an ancient fat little dog and am in the process of becoming single again after 5 years. My OH became my boss in September and its been downhill since then really, I won't bore you with the details but it's not been great and I finally broached it with him last week and he hasn't spoken to me since ...... Not the reaction I'd hoped for but perhaps expected.
    Earlier this year, I was passed over for a job that I've been doing informally for almost a year and that didn't help matters and have finally found the gumption to start applying for new jobs. That didn't go down well with OH either but he encouraged me to at the time of the original job issue, don't think he thought I would. I've found the work situation really difficult as nobody knows the real reason I didn't get the job and now it's at the point that I don't want to be there anymore.

On top of that, I had some health news that stopped me in my tracks in February - I have the breast cancer gene and have a one in three chance of developing it in the next 8 years.... The hospital have been great and there's a prevention and monitoring plan in place including taking tamoxifen (not lovely side effects but better than cancer!) and lots of screening, but if I'm honest, it's made me reevaluate life a bit.
    Add to that lot that my dad has prostrate cancer that may have spread ( new biopsies soon to confirm ) and the worry that brings (my mum is useless and my sister has disabilities and with the best will in the world still needs care) and I've just had to say enough is enough - I'm 46 and things need to change, life is too short!!

So to sum up.... Relationship going down the swanny, need a new job, health needs serious attention and family all need looking after.

So a new start..... Here we go!! Xx
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 01-04-2018 at 3:26 PM.
Page 17
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 1st Aug 18, 5:02 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 8,257 Thanks
    MeandO
    Glad you had a wonderful holiday MT! X
    House moving fund: £1502.81
    2018 mortgage OP's: £1894.35/£1800

Emergency Fund: £400
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 1st Aug 18, 7:33 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Household
    Paint downstairs toilet
    Paint bathroom
    Tidy study and chuck unnecessary clutter
    Tidy out main wardrobe
    Get bedroom decorated
    Sort shower room refit
    Sort shoes
    Tidy out storage box in downstairs loo - done
    Clean microwave - done
    Clean fridge - done
    Tidy out boot of car
    Clean conservatory blinds
    Take old TV to the tip
    Tidy out cupboard under the stairs
    Charity shop donations
    Sort the leak in the attic - done
    Investigate getting dining room chairs reupholstered
    Wash winter coats - done

Shopping
    Buy new work shoes and 2 suits
    Dry cleaning
    Buy new bras
    Buy makeup using Selfridges vouchers - done
    Sort out phone upgrade - done
    Buy new running gear

Health and Wellbeing
    Lose 7 lbs
    Get eyebrows done
    Run x3 a week
    Medical appointments
    Register at the dentist
    Cook more rather than eat convenience food
    Get back into the habit of taking vitamins and calcium daily

Leisure
    Investigate TV options for subscriptions - installed Amazon fire stick I forgot I had, it's like a whole new world!
    Use meerkat movies for cheap evenings out
    Look into buying new iPad or tablet
    Read 8 books - read 2 so far
    Go on a few new walks
    Visit parents
    Invite parents to stay - done
    Arrange at least 2 or 3 meet ups with old work colleagues to keep in touch

Finances
    Do July salary budget - done
    Look at credit card swap
    Try to continue using up toiletries, smellies and not buy more unnecessarily
    Investigate swapping mortgage protection insurance

Work
    Look at new chemistry spec
    Write lessons for first month back
    Create new subject review docs for new job
    Process GCSE results in August
    Originally posted by mumblingtaff

Just copying over the summer list so I don't forget to do it.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 1st Aug 18, 7:50 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Am officially knackered .....
    The long day has caught up with me - maybe a 2 hour time difference does have a small effect too? I've had a bath and a tin of soup for tea - really can't be bothered with food, I'm all fancy fooded out
    Going to watch a bit of telly and have an early night to catch up.

Just thinking about what I need to do tomorrow though....
    1. Grocery shopping
    2. Quick Hoover and dust
    3. Put dry washing away
    4. Go for a run
    5. Drop dry cleaning off
    6. Text friends to arrange a meet up
    7. Register with a dentist
    8. Sort through any toiletries that need using up
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 1st Aug 18, 9:25 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Spoke too soon.....
    Just spoke to mum and she was dithering about driving here so I'm driving to Wales to liberate the dog tomorrow instead. Will stay overnight and come back on Friday.
    Not sure what's going on with the family but will find out tomorrow ......

Bed soon. X
    • MeandO
    • By MeandO 1st Aug 18, 9:32 PM
    • 1,655 Posts
    • 8,257 Thanks
    MeandO
    Hope everything’s ok at ‘home’ MT. Safe travels back this way! X
    House moving fund: £1502.81
    2018 mortgage OP's: £1894.35/£1800

Emergency Fund: £400
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 2nd Aug 18, 8:28 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning all!
    Just back from a run - wasn't going to break any records but I ran all the way and felt quite pleased with myself after the last week's excesses and total lardy laziness. It's a start - my new philosophy is anything is better than nothing in all aspects of life so I'm not going to beat myself up for being slower than the last time, just be pleased that I made the effort and did it.

I've also weighed and it's not great news but not as bad as it could be. Still need to get a grip and lose the holiday flab though

Going to have a shower and pack a bag and set off for Wales - will take my running stuff and hopefully get a chance to run the coastal path tomorrow morning. Fingers crossed the traffic is kind and it doesn't take more than 4 hours.......
    • crazy_cat_lady
    • By crazy_cat_lady 2nd Aug 18, 10:15 AM
    • 4,238 Posts
    • 36,299 Thanks
    crazy_cat_lady
    Morning MT
    Really pleased that you had a good holiday and have come back feeling relaxed and refreshed.
    Safe journey to Wales - hope all is ok with the family.
    December in the Tardis #16 nsd = 8 New life = new debt
    DFD #1: 6 Nov 15 - paid £28,447
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 3rd Aug 18, 1:33 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Me and the woofer are back!
    Driven home from Wales this morning as they all seemed to have plans today so I thought I may as well come home - set off about 9am. Dad seems in good form and even went swimming this morning, so must be feeling better. Mum is ok too - not sleeping but that's nothing new.

I woke up at 5.30 and eventually got up when I heard others moving about and drove to the coast (10 mins) and did a 5km run on the coastal path. It was really muggy and quite hard work but I did it. All before 7.30!
    Have stuck to the diet so far too - feel much less bloated already, I think a lot of it must have been water retention from the heat as I haven't stopped weeing since being back, pity that the flab doesn't leave as easily!

Still need to do the grocery shopping - will probably go this afternoon. I've just tidied away all of the dry holiday washing but need to unpack my overnight bag but otherwise the house is fairly respectable, could probably do with a quick dust and Hoover but it's not desperately needed.

I realised last night that it's my colleague's wedding on Sunday evening (a Muslim ceremony and celebration) so texted my three female work friends that are also going and have arranged to pick them all up and drive there (it's not too far away) - I won't be drinking and it seems daft for all of us to try to get there separately and park. I have a suitable long dress (bought for a posh day at the races last year) that I just need to try on to make sure it still fits and paid towards his wedding present whilst still in work so it should be a fairly cheap/free event. Really looking forward to it - never been to a Muslim wedding before and the evening banquet etc sounds fab.

I also texted another friend last night to try to arrange a meet up over the holidays and she's just responded, even though she's abroad on hols, so I'll have something else to look forward to.

Will probably have a quiet couple of days over the weekend - OH is coming over around tea time for the evening but, other than the wedding on Sunday evening, I don't have any big plans. Hopefully, the weather will improve - it's so cloudy it's almost dark here.....
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 03-08-2018 at 1:38 PM.
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 3rd Aug 18, 1:51 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 9,141 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Muggy up here - it's actually quite warm when you go out but not pleasantly so. And the sky's sort of pale grey interspersed with rain clouds, though only had the occasional actual rain shower.
    The wedding sounds fun, and it's nice to have something to look forward to which you just have to turn up to and it's all arranged around you.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 3rd Aug 18, 5:32 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    I know Joey - I'm just an interested bystander at this one! Will report back.....

Had a fairly busy afternoon - did the shopping and spent £75. I knew it was going to be a big one as many of the household things and toiletries had run out. I've also gone a bit berserk on fresh fruit and veg - all with the diet in mind
    I bought a 2litre clip seal jug (reduced to £3) to keep squash in the fridge - I'm trying to drink at least 2 litres of water a day and thought that if I made up the jug in the morning I know exactly how much I have to get through over the day. I drink way too much diet coke and need to cut it down so this is my attempt at doing it. I got a cheapish water container for work too so I can carry it on when I'm back at work.

After the horrible job of unpacking all the shopping, I hoovered and dusted, cleaned the bathrooms, unpacked and tidied things away, gave the kitchen a going over, had a soak in the bath and did a bit of preening (defuzz, deep conditioning of my hair, moisturising etc).
    Just had some tea and am about to dry my hair then take the dog for a walk before OH comes over. A quiet night in planned......
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 3rd Aug 18, 7:17 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Just a quick list of things to do tomorrow whilst I'm thinking about it .....

1. Drop dry cleaning off - done
    2. Bath dog
    3. Clean car - done
    4. Run if legs aren't too stiff - done
    5. Put cases back in the attic - done
    6. Try on dress - done
    7. Get cash out - done
    8. Maybe start sorting wardrobe
    Last edited by mumblingtaff; 04-08-2018 at 7:24 PM.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 4th Aug 18, 10:14 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Slept intermittently and had really bad hot flashes last night..... Never mind, it's a new day today.

Have already taken the dog to his favourite park for an hour, lovely to see him excited and happily pottering around with other dogs, he's shattered now, he forgets he's 14, bless him.
    Then dropped the dry cleaning off and went to the car wash and hoovered out the car and gave it a good clean inside and out. Looks respectable again now.
    Am trying to summon the energy to go for a shortish run - maybe 3 or 4 km. OH was going to come with me but he's gone back to bed

Good news - I weighed this morning and have lost 4lbs since coming back from holidays ! Just shows how much of it was water retention and bloat. Encouraging me though to carry on.
    Will be seeing OH this afternoon (he's talking about doing a barbecue) and he's out on a reunion this evening (if he feels better, since has his bug from holidays) so I'm planning a nice quiet night in with the dog, catching up on some telly and eating good for me food.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 4th Aug 18, 11:11 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    3.5km run done - just 20 mins or so but better than nothing - remember, anything is better than nothing!
    Got £50 cash out on the way so killed two birds with one stone.

Going to put the cases back in the attic, wash my running kit, try the dress on once I'm showered (very sweaty!) and look into the new Sky deal advertised. The sun might be coming out properly now too so might have a sit in the garden.

Finished an audiobook I was listening to on the mega drive to Wales and back - it's called Everything is Lies by Helen Callaghan - very good, would recommend it. Have another to listen to but might leave it for holidays.

Feeling quite energised now so might cut the grass too..... Or not.....
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 4th Aug 18, 12:25 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Just phoned sky and enquired about the deal and without me asking they said I was paying too much and reduced my bill for TV, broadband and line rental from £75 to £50 a month!! They must be desperate to keep customers - no haggling or threatening to leave required
    That's £300 a year saved with one 5 minute phone call - well chuffed
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 4th Aug 18, 1:07 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 9,141 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    Well done on Sky. Please now learn a lesson from me, go now and write the expiry date of your deal on something that you will still have and refer to in 12 or 18 months time - however long your deal is. Because they won't warn you when they put the price back up, they will just take it - no warning, no advice that it's coming. We got caught out from £18 up to £52 - the only reason I noticed was because I'm vigilant with checking our bills bank account.
    Rang them up to complain and got sympathetic noises but no action. We were going to cancel anyway as no one was really using it much but would have kept it if they'd given me another good price. They didn't - we left and now they're mailing me regularly with cheaper deals. Will see if OH wants it back once the rugby restarts but otherwise we're done.

Moral of the story is keep track of lower price contract end dates.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 4th Aug 18, 3:02 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Thank you Joey - good advice! I have put the date in the folder that I keep the passwords etc in for utilities.

The sun is out and I have spent an hour on a lounger watching Keeping Faith on iPlayer - really enjoying it. Another recommendation
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 6th Aug 18, 9:51 AM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Morning all!
    Had a lovely day yesterday - went for brunch with OH and then spent the afternoon together in the garden in the sun. Then went to the wedding in the evening - absolutely beautiful! A really lovely experience and the food was fantastic! I ate my own body weight in lots of fabulous Asian food that just kept coming - a proper banquet. Everyone looked really colourful and very groomed - it must take the ladies hours to get ready and their traditional outfits must have cost an absolute fortune! Gorgeous all round. Thoroughly enjoyed it all and had a really helpful chap on the next table that gave us a running commentary on what was going on and what to do etc. Dropped everyone off and eventually got home absolutely stuffed to the brim at midnight.... Feel super fat today.....

Just back from the park with the dog - gave him a good run around for 45 mins. Am in running kit in order to try to inspire me to get off my lardy bum and work off some of the excesses of last night. It's needed!
    Not much planned for today apart from a run. Will see what the weather develops into - might tackle a job or two from the summer list. Have done a tidy of the kitchen and bedroom and the rest of the house is still nice and clean so no further housework is required today.

Managed to spend absolutely nothing yesterday (everything was provided at the wedding and OH paid for brunch) and have just bought some diet coke and squash but other than that no need to buy anything else today.

Right, need to crack on with some exercise......
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 6th Aug 18, 12:44 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    Run done - plodded around the water park as there's no chance of a short cut and you just need to keep going until you get back to where you started from. Hot and sweaty and felt like I was dragging a sack of potatoes round with me but it's done now

Decided to tidy out the cupboard under the stairs and give it a good clean - it must be years since I last did it. Have chucked out loads of stuff - old phones, broadband routers, old magazines, table mats and lots of other random stuff - and found some things I forgot I had, including some beautiful crystal wine glasses. I am also fully stocked up on wrapping paper, gift bags, tags etc - I have tons!! They must have been breeding in there! So, that's one more job from the summer list ticked off

The sun is not playing ball today (yet) so I might tackle another tidying and sorting job later. The recycling and bin men are having a bumper load this week It's quite satisfying chucking stuff out and seeing tidy spaces.

Have also discovered a series on Netflix called Grace and Frankie with Jane Fonda and Lily Tomkin. It's really good so far - just 30 mins episodes so I've been watching the odd show here and there. I'm not a huge telly watcher usually but the occasional hour here and there feels quite naughty as I'm usually so busy.
    I've also started a new book called The Good Daughter by Karin Slaughter - easily readable with an interesting story so far. Get me - I'm almost a lady of leisure! If I could just stop finding things to do ...... ( I'm only happy when I'm busy )
    • joeyjimbles
    • By joeyjimbles 6th Aug 18, 1:21 PM
    • 1,693 Posts
    • 9,141 Thanks
    joeyjimbles
    I adore Grace and Frankie. I discovered it when I fractured my ankle and devoured it - can't wait for the new series. Intelligent humour but thought provoking too and quite rude in places. I recommended it to my mum (84) before I got too far into it - fortunately she's very broad minded!

It did quite spoil me for other sitcoms for a while though so if you find anything else worth watching - I tend to watch tv whilst doing the ironing - then please share.
    • mumblingtaff
    • By mumblingtaff 6th Aug 18, 6:46 PM
    • 531 Posts
    • 5,136 Thanks
    mumblingtaff
    I adore Grace and Frankie. I discovered it when I fractured my ankle and devoured it - can't wait for the new series. Intelligent humour but thought provoking too and quite rude in places. I recommended it to my mum (84) before I got too far into it - fortunately she's very broad minded!

It did quite spoil me for other sitcoms for a while though so if you find anything else worth watching - I tend to watch tv whilst doing the ironing - then please share.
    Originally posted by joeyjimbles
    It's great isn't it Joey? I'm about two thirds of the way through the first series and love it so far.

Had an afternoon of pottering round, a soak in the bath with my book and walking the dog, followed by an hour in the garden listening to some motivational pod casts. If I'm honest I'm a bit bored now - need to find something to do......
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,841Posts Today

7,922Users online

Martin's Twitter