Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • bluedove
    • By bluedove 1st Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    • 215Posts
    • 23Thanks
    bluedove
    New boiler installation
    • 1st Apr 18, 2:31 PM
    New boiler installation 1st Apr 18 at 2:31 PM
    My 15 year old Brittony combi is on its last legs, cant even get cover for it any more and its constantly leaking water.

Im now looking to get a new boiler installed, home is a 3 bed mid terrace house, i live just outside of Norwich.

Preferable option will be monthly payment as cant afford the upfront cost.

Any suggestions of cheap affordable boiler installation will be highly appreciated.
    Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.
Page 2
    • bluedove
    • By bluedove 1st May 18, 5:10 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    bluedove
    Worcester apparently is a top range boiler, they also have 2 or 3 year payment plan at 7.9% APR

British Gas came out today and gave me a quote for same Worcester boiler at 3450, i asked the technician for quote on other brands they install and he reckons they are all about same price
    BG payment plan is at 9.6% APR
    Last edited by bluedove; 01-05-2018 at 5:13 PM.
    Though the vision may not be the true future of man but it can't be completely beyond his control.
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 1st May 18, 6:09 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    Worcester apparently is a top range boiler, they also have 2 or 3 year payment plan at 7.9% APR

British Gas came out today and gave me a quote for same Worcester boiler at 3450, i asked the technician for quote on other brands they install and he reckons they are all about same price
    BG payment plan is at 9.6% APR
    Originally posted by bluedove
    As I said earlier in the thread, British Gas are rip off merchants. The other quote you had for the Worcester Bosch is within the realms of what I would expect (albeit the top end, i.e. 2000-2500), but the British Gas quote is outrageous. It's also nonsense to say that all the boilers are about the same price: Worcester are a premium brand. This just adds to my view that British Gas should be avoided.
    • bluedove
    • By bluedove 1st May 18, 9:52 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    bluedove
    Don't really know how BG manage to get people to pay these expensive amount for boilers.
    • Cardew
    • By Cardew 1st May 18, 10:46 PM
    • 27,325 Posts
    • 13,376 Thanks
    Cardew
    Viessmann Vitodens 50W 29kW
    Including:
    - Boiler supply and installation
    - 5 year Viessmann manufacturer warranty
    - 2 year workmanship warranty
    - Magnaclean magnetic filter
    - Supply and installation of boiler flue and controls
    - Full system clean, flush and protection*

Asbestos Artex Drilling Service
    Viessmann Plume Kit
    Scale Reducer

PRICE: 2000

i am tempted to go for the VIESSMANN but apparently the parts aren't generic and not readily available.

Will appreciate opinions on prices and reviews on VIESSMANN from anyone who got one
    Originally posted by bluedove
    I have had two Viessmann boilers - a system boiler and combi boiler for an annex - fitted in the last 2 years. Your boiler warranty can be extended to 7 years and parts are readily available as they are made(assembled) in a large factory in Telford.

I bought mine on the strength of the WHICH report and having lived in Germany for years was aware of their good reputation. They are also very quiet in operation.

Obviously nothing has gone wrong yet.
    • bluedove
    • By bluedove 7th May 18, 11:34 PM
    • 215 Posts
    • 23 Thanks
    bluedove
    Had a relative that works with a plumbing company recommend the Viessmann.
    So I've gone it, has 5 years warranty, doing it on 2 year finance which cost additional 169.
    • ThemeOne
    • By ThemeOne 14th May 18, 7:50 AM
    • 1,217 Posts
    • 1,029 Thanks
    ThemeOne
    British Gas have taken a thrashing on this thread, so I'm wondering if there's *anything* good about their boiler installation service?

I've had boilers installed recently in two different properties, in both cases by independents. One went smoothly, the other became very protracted due to the independent I selected simply not turning up on the appointed day, with some flimsy excuse when I called to ask where he was.

I ended up getting it done by another independent who has done a good job, but would people avoid this kind of hassle going with BG, or are they just as likely not to turn up etc?

As for boilers, Worcester Bosch is heavily advertised, and heavily promoted by installers, so I assume they get good incentives for supplying them. By strange coincidence they are also some of the most expensive!
    • Hengus
    • By Hengus 14th May 18, 8:28 AM
    • 5,726 Posts
    • 3,511 Thanks
    Hengus
    If you are considering a combi boiler then you need to be aware that new regulations came into force on the 6th April 2018:

https://www.which.co.uk/news/2018/01/if-you-need-a-new-boiler-these-regulation-changes-will-affect-you/

It would seem that not all installers are aware of this change to the law. A consumer knowingly installing a combi boiler which does not meet the Boiler Plus requirements can, at worst, be fined.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 16th May 18, 10:54 AM
    • 10,434 Posts
    • 9,421 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    British Gas have taken a thrashing on this thread, so I'm wondering if there's *anything* good about their boiler installation service?

I've had boilers installed recently in two different properties, in both cases by independents. One went smoothly, the other became very protracted due to the independent I selected simply not turning up on the appointed day, with some flimsy excuse when I called to ask where he was.

I ended up getting it done by another independent who has done a good job, but would people avoid this kind of hassle going with BG, or are they just as likely not to turn up etc?

As for boilers, Worcester Bosch is heavily advertised, and heavily promoted by installers, so I assume they get good incentives for supplying them. By strange coincidence they are also some of the most expensive!
    Originally posted by ThemeOne

British Gas always get a thrashing on here. The British love to thrash our own companies even more so if they are ex nationalised. British Gas, British Telecom, British rail etc..its a national obsession. M&S,they always get a good thrashing. Its very easy to see the bad and not the good. The press love it. Every time there is an energy increase they only bleat about British Gas and not the myriad of other companies who also have to increase prices because the gas is all coming from the same sources and it is all being shipped by National Grid transmission.

So getting back to the start, there is good and bad anywhere.

I have worked for many years in the energy industry and i have seen crap jobs done by independents and BG alike.

In the end,a lot of it comes down to the man or indeed woman who pitches up at your home and does the job.

What i would say though is that if you pick and indie, you make sure you choose a manufacturer trained and approved installer and that you check those credentials with the boiler brand customer service department. That way you will get all the necessary guarantees .

BG,,you will pay more unless you negotiate hard on like for like products. You get the back up of a big answerable long established brand.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 16th May 18, 9:31 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    British Gas always get a thrashing on here. The British love to thrash our own companies even more so if they are ex nationalised. British Gas, British Telecom, British rail etc..its a national obsession. M&S,they always get a good thrashing. Its very easy to see the bad and not the good. The press love it. Every time there is an energy increase they only bleat about British Gas and not the myriad of other companies who also have to increase prices because the gas is all coming from the same sources and it is all being shipped by National Grid transmission.
    Originally posted by C_Mababejive
    What a lot of rot! I haven't rubbished Briitsh Gas because they happen to have the word "British" in their company name; I have rubbished British Gas because they charge way over the odds for the boilers and installations that they provide.

Oh, and as a publicly listed company they have many owners, many of whom are not British at all.

So getting back to the start, there is good and bad anywhere.

I have worked for many years in the energy industry and i have seen crap jobs done by independents and BG alike.

In the end,a lot of it comes down to the man or indeed woman who pitches up at your home and does the job.
    So given that British Gas charge way over the odds, there is no good reason to pick them then!

What i would say though is that if you pick and indie, you make sure you choose a manufacturer trained and approved installer and that you check those credentials with the boiler brand customer service department. That way you will get all the necessary guarantees .
    Nobody argued against using an approved installer.

BG,,you will pay more unless you negotiate hard on like for like products. You get the back up of a big answerable long established brand.
    More nonsense. Lots of independent installers have long established businesses that are perfectly solvent. Furthermore, if you have used an approved installer then your extended guarantee is with the manufacturer.
    Last edited by ValiantSon; 16-05-2018 at 9:33 PM.
    • C_Mababejive
    • By C_Mababejive 17th May 18, 7:53 PM
    • 10,434 Posts
    • 9,421 Thanks
    C_Mababejive
    I didnt mention your name nor did i even intend to allude to any comment you may have made. I was simply giving an opinion based on my considerable experience.
    Feudal Britain needs land reform. 70% of the land is "owned" by 1 % of the population and at least 50% is unregistered (inherited by landed gentry). Thats why your slave box costs so much..
    • ValiantSon
    • By ValiantSon 17th May 18, 8:53 PM
    • 1,844 Posts
    • 1,708 Thanks
    ValiantSon
    I didnt mention your name nor did i even intend to allude to any comment you may have made. I was simply giving an opinion based on my considerable experience.
    Your comment was aimed at all the posts in the thread, and mine were clearly negative with regard to British Gas, so your comments were (partly) aimed at me.

I gave good reasons why your opinion was illogical.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,757Posts Today

8,313Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • It's the start of mini MSE's half term. In order to be the best daddy possible, Im stopping work and going off line? https://t.co/kwjvtd75YU

• RT @shellsince1982: @MartinSLewis thanx to your email I have just saved myself £222 by taking a SIM only deal for £7.50 a month and keeping?

• Today's Friday twitter poll: An important question, building on yesterday's important discussions: Which is the best bit of the pizza...

• Follow Martin