Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • keepsim
    • By keepsim 1st Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    • 21Posts
    • 2Thanks
    keepsim
    Invest Monthly or Lump sum
    • 1st Apr 18, 11:41 AM
    Invest Monthly or Lump sum 1st Apr 18 at 11:41 AM
    I have not invested in Stock and Share ISA before so please forgive me if I am asking a silly question here.

So, I have 20K ready to go into an SS ISA now (ready to go), I have also opened an ISA account to AJ Bell as well and I am doing some research into which fund I will be investing it so it's work in progress, have shorted one/two already.

Now the question -
    1. Move now or Monthly ? Do I need to move 20K which is currently sitting into Santander 123 account straight away (before 5th April) into AJ Bell ISA ?
    Or I can invest periodically by monthly Direct Debit like 5K a month as an example.

2. Invest monthly or One go lumpsum or Mix- Though I have 20K ready to be invested, Is it usually a best practice to invest monthly into funds like Vangard LifeStrategy 100% Equity Fund as an example or Invest once if I have money ?
Page 2
    • dunstonh
    • By dunstonh 9th Apr 18, 3:43 PM
    • 92,171 Posts
    • 59,337 Thanks
    dunstonh
    Just thought I would check the figures.

1200 invested 12 months ago in VLS100 would be worth 1224.16.

100pm invested on 9th of each month (making 1200 with 100 being invested on day 1) would be 1180.16.

The regular graph is fairly smooth. The single graph is very volatile.
    I am an Independent Financial Adviser (IFA). Comments are for discussion purposes only. They are not financial advice. If you feel an area discussed may be relevant to you, then please seek advice from an Independent Financial Adviser local to you.
    • bcfclee27
    • By bcfclee27 9th Apr 18, 4:47 PM
    • 179 Posts
    • 45 Thanks
    bcfclee27
    Just thought I would check the figures.

1200 invested 12 months ago in VLS100 would be worth 1224.16.

100pm invested on 9th of each month (making 1200 with 100 being invested on day 1) would be 1180.16.

The regular graph is fairly smooth. The single graph is very volatile.
    Originally posted by dunstonh
    That's a pretty poor year for VLS.....
    • Audaxer
    • By Audaxer 9th Apr 18, 5:35 PM
    • 1,019 Posts
    • 590 Thanks
    Audaxer
    I find this interesting, how to run a historical run or this is based on your investment?

I'll take it is based on historical NAV?
    Originally posted by keepsim
    I invested in the VLS40 Inc version a year ago and also monitored the price of the VLS100 Inc version over the year out of interest. On 4th April last year the VLS100 Inc price was 17,506.90p. As at 3rd April this year the price was 17,421.21p. The VLS40 and VLS60 also had similar returns, or lack of them, over the year. The annual dividends are due next month which will help a bit.
    Last edited by Audaxer; 09-04-2018 at 5:42 PM.
    • rathernot
    • By rathernot 9th Apr 18, 5:54 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    rathernot
    Something I'm considering is putting in half my ISA allowance in in one go and then doing a monthly regular investment outside the ISA up to around 10k/year.

I'm fortunate there's cash there if something comes along where I want to immediately dump into the ISA but if not I can "bed and ISA" whenever I want to as the amounts will be way below CGT.

Feels quite flexible, interested to hear any views.
    • ColdIron
    • By ColdIron 9th Apr 18, 6:10 PM
    • 4,036 Posts
    • 4,980 Thanks
    ColdIron
    I can't see what this achieves or have I missed something?
    • rathernot
    • By rathernot 9th Apr 18, 6:15 PM
    • 242 Posts
    • 62 Thanks
    rathernot
    I can't see what this achieves or have I missed something?
    Originally posted by ColdIron
    I don't think you've missed anything.

Possibly nothing other than leaving some free in the ISA rather than filling it on day one.

I may be massively overthinking it
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

4,346Posts Today

8,681Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Just a quick note. I've been overwhelmed by the strength of support by my campaign to stop facebook fake ads today? https://t.co/KexhjVVznY

• RT @mmhpi: On the eve of tomorrow's #RecoverySpace debate in parliament, we just delivered our 10,000 letters to the Chancellor. People in?

• Interesting piece yet they asked me if it was a publicity stunt and I said yes partially, in order to raise awarene? https://t.co/FdKcO1uMLx

• Follow Martin