Best smart TV

Options

Comments

• roddydogs
    roddydogs Posts: 7,478 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Post First Anniversary
    Options
    Richer sounds are in trouble then with their 6 yr gtee.
  • hollie.weimeraner
    Options
    gfplux wrote: »
    We have a Samsung 46inch that is Now 10 years old.
    We also watch NETFLIX using a Google dongle.

It is our intention to replace the TV in the next 12 months. We would keep the new TV for a similar time, about 10 years or even more.
    The present TV has a large bezel surround and I see that present day TV!!!8217;s hardly have a Bezel so the new TV could perhaps be up to 52/55 inch.

Anyone have recommendations and is there something coming along in the next 12 months worth waiting for.

Actually when I say smart TV I am not actually sure what I mean other than I would not need a dongle as the TV would be connected to our WiFi.

Thank you.

If you're happy with your Samsung I'd stick with that make personally.

I have tried 3 Samsungs in the last 3 or 4 years and every single one had lip sync issues and had to be returned. I also think Samsung colour management is pretty poor but that's just my view and possibly down to the way they are set up out of the box (due to the lipsync issues I never got round to setting them up properly). In the end I ended up with a Panasonic which I am very pleased with. I don't tend to use anything other than Netflix or iplayer in the apps so they're fine for me.
  • victor2
    victor2 Posts: 7,600 Ambassador
    I'm a Volunteer Ambassador First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    mobileron wrote: »
    Please tell us how the components fail after 5 years,do all tv do this.
    Another fake news info.
    Manufacturers of modern electronics use components with an MTBF of just a little longer than the period they guarantee the product for.
    Nothing new in that approach, but quality control is so much more accurate these days that if a component is designed to last 5 years, there's every chance it will, and not much longer. :)

I’m a Forum Ambassador and I support the Forum Team on the In My Home MoneySaving, Energy and Techie Stuff boards. If you need any help on these boards, do let me know. Please note that Ambassadors are not moderators. Any posts you spot in breach of the Forum Rules should be reported via the report button, or by emailing forumteam@moneysavingexpert.com. 

All views are my own and not the official line of MoneySavingExpert.

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    edited 4 April 2018 at 12:29PM
    Options
    roddydogs wrote: »
    Richer sounds are in trouble then with their 6 yr gtee.
    I didn't say the TVs would fail and never be fixed. A repaired TV might even last a further five years.
    mobileron wrote: »
    Another fake news info.
    Not at all. My post was in response to the OP saying he was planning for the TV to last for ten years or longer. I was only saying that was unwise. There are always examples of electronics which last for many years, but there are many which don't.
    victor2 wrote: »
    Manufacturers of modern electronics use components with an MTBF of just a little longer than the period they guarantee the product for.
    Nothing new in that approach, but quality control is so much more accurate these days that if a component is designed to last 5 years, there's every chance it will, and not much longer. :)
    Exactly
  • House_Martin
    House_Martin Posts: 1,462 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2018 at 3:31PM
    Options
    Thank you House Martin.
    Is OLED the coming thing. You say LG are the only ones at present, will other makers be adopting OLED.
    OLED s have been around for a while now , first seen in mobile phone screens but LG stuck with it to make the larger screens over 55 inch. Nowadays a tinchy little 42 inch screen seems small.
    The battle now for the best pictures are now between the Oleds and Qled , .Samsung seem to be leading the way with Qled. The reviews I ve seen come down marginally in favour of Oleds.
    Qled are brighter but Oleds have better contrast .
    If you have the money its a straight choice between the two .If not and 4 k is nt important than one of Samsungs best rated 50 inch at around £450 /£500 would buy you a better TV you have now.They are rated at 100,000 hrs lifespan and will last as long as the old tube tvs.
    My top Panasonic plasma takes some beating but its getting on a bit at 8 years old. I will be going for the LG Oleds soon. The prices are up and down on the 55inch model I want ( LG OLED 55C7V ) which was over 3k a year or so ago and now I have seen it down to £1250 at one time in the winter sales
  • gfplux
    gfplux Posts: 4,985 Forumite
    Photogenic First Anniversary First Post Hung up my suit!
    Options
    Thank you everyone so far.
    So starting to look.
    I now see that OLED is Now on offer by Panasonic and Sony as well as the owners of the technology LG.
    As OLED or QLed is the lates thing that is at the top of my list.

Now to sound.
    Almost every TV I see in the shops has a sound bar for sale next to it. Is this a confession that the sound on New TV is not up to scratch.

I also am told that Android TV on Sony and others but not Samsung is a great way to find extra apps and load them. I wonder if this is true and what about memory in the TV?

I would welcome your opinions. Thank you.
    There will be no Brexit dividend for Britain.
  • getmore4less
    getmore4less Posts: 46,882 Forumite
    Name Dropper First Anniversary First Post I've helped Parliament
    Options
    The price window to buy tv's is now or wait till next year.
    Get over to AVforums.
  • Inner_Zone
    Inner_Zone Posts: 2,853 Forumite
    edited 4 April 2018 at 3:12PM
    Options
    QLED is not the same a OLED. QLED is still old LCD technology with a fancy and confusing name.

Philips, Loewe, B&O also offer OLED TV's with LG panels.

Flat screen TV's don't have the room for decent speakers hence soundbars but equally connecting to a Hi-Fi system will improve the sound quality.

Sony are current the only Android users I think, others use their own OS's.

Don't rely on inbuilt apps to much. Very easy to add others by an Amazon TV, NowTV, Roku or Chromecast devices to name the main ones also some Blu-ray players have some apps. Not all TV's support the same apps neither do the add on devices, but cheap add devices make it easy to add whatever the TV does not support and or loses over time.
  • JJ_Egan
    JJ_Egan Posts: 20,281 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper First Post
    Options
    Dont expect the Smart part to work for ten years .
    Many cannot be updated and looks like the OS lasts a few years and is not upgradable .
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 26,612 Forumite
    First Anniversary Name Dropper Photogenic First Post
    Options
    Almost every TV I see in the shops has a sound bar for sale next to it. Is this a confession that the sound on New TV is not up to scratch.
    I'd say it's an admission rather than a confession that modern ultra flat screens can't house large speakers. Even the high end TVs can't physically be millimetres thin and also provide anything more than adequate sound.
This discussion has been closed.
Meet your Ambassadors

Categories

• All Categories
  • 343.2K Banking & Borrowing
  • 250.1K Reduce Debt & Boost Income
  • 449.7K Spending & Discounts
  • 235.3K Work, Benefits & Business
  • 608.1K Mortgages, Homes & Bills
  • 173.1K Life & Family
  • 247.9K Travel & Transport
  • 1.5M Hobbies & Leisure