Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@. Skimlinks & other affiliated links are turned on

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 31st Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    • 4,487Posts
    • 3,930Thanks
    gfplux
    Best smart TV
    • 31st Mar 18, 4:45 PM
    Best smart TV 31st Mar 18 at 4:45 PM
    We have a Samsung 46inch that is Now 10 years old.
    We also watch NETFLIX using a Google dongle.

It is our intention to replace the TV in the next 12 months. We would keep the new TV for a similar time, about 10 years or even more.
    The present TV has a large bezel surround and I see that present day TVís hardly have a Bezel so the new TV could perhaps be up to 52/55 inch.

Anyone have recommendations and is there something coming along in the next 12 months worth waiting for.

Actually when I say smart TV I am not actually sure what I mean other than I would not need a dongle as the TV would be connected to our WiFi.

Thank you.
    Britain is racing towards the cliff that is March 29 next year and I accept Britain will leave the EU on that date.
    There will be no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up and industry has to do what they think is in their best interests which is not necessarily in Britainís best interests.
Page 2
    • Moneyineptitude
    • By Moneyineptitude 4th Apr 18, 10:52 PM
    • 22,650 Posts
    • 12,187 Thanks
    Moneyineptitude
    Almost every TV I see in the shops has a sound bar for sale next to it. Is this a confession that the sound on New TV is not up to scratch.
    Originally posted by gfplux
    I'd say it's an admission rather than a confession that modern ultra flat screens can't house large speakers. Even the high end TVs can't physically be millimetres thin and also provide anything more than adequate sound.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 5th Apr 18, 11:03 AM
    • 33,644 Posts
    • 20,361 Thanks
    getmore4less
    What content do you watch?

That can push towards particular models especially sport.

Unless you are getting big into UHD and HDR keep your money in you pocket and stick with the current mid range or if going big maybe a bit lower

£500-£800 will get a smart looking decent enough picture and smart features in the 50"-58" with a 5/6 year warranty.
    you can get lower price but the trade is size/quality.
    There may be the odd bargain as they EOL the current models to make way for the new ones.

perhaps create a short list and go see them so you can grab a deal if one comes up.

As for life seems some people can't keep a TV going for more than few years before they break while others seem to be much luckier and they last 8y-10y+.
    • mobileron
    • By mobileron 6th Apr 18, 7:00 AM
    • 115 Posts
    • 57 Thanks
    mobileron
    I have a Sony Android tv,if you look in playstore u will see many apps.
    LG and Samsung are limited with there apps offer.
    • dannylfc_1
    • By dannylfc_1 9th Apr 18, 3:48 PM
    • 28 Posts
    • 3 Thanks
    dannylfc_1
    But its only 50Hz?
    • almillar
    • By almillar 10th Apr 18, 1:19 PM
    • 7,670 Posts
    • 3,147 Thanks
    almillar
    But its only 50Hz?

What is? Most broadcasts are 50 Hz anyway, many films are 24p. Most TVs will deal with 50 and 60HZ, and going above that for most things means the TV just fills it in.
    • teddysmum
    • By teddysmum 11th Apr 18, 11:18 PM
    • 9,145 Posts
    • 5,453 Thanks
    teddysmum
    I'd say it's an admission rather than a confession that modern ultra flat screens can't house large speakers. Even the high end TVs can't physically be millimetres thin and also provide anything more than adequate sound.
    Originally posted by Moneyineptitude
    From the days of big tv cases, we've always found Panasonic sound good (we have never had the bog standard range, though) and noticed other brands rather tinny (like the old 12-14 inch portables) or lacking in volume.Our current one is loud at about level 16 but I'm not happy with the way they have treated the loss of ITV Hub and Channel 4 catchup.(sorted via an Amazon fire tv stick)
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 12th Apr 18, 9:21 AM
    • 4,487 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    gfplux
    Thank you all. Lots to think about and look at.
    Britain is racing towards the cliff that is March 29 next year and I accept Britain will leave the EU on that date.
    There will be no Brexit dividend. "Brexit Blight of Uncertainty" sums it all up and industry has to do what they think is in their best interests which is not necessarily in Britainís best interests.
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 12th Apr 18, 2:17 PM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    giraffe69
    Gfplux, my 55" LG OLED is plenty powerful enough for a standard-sized front room. If you've got the equivalent of the Albert Hall you might struggle from a distance but honestly the sound is fine and plenty loud enough.
    I also have an LG55 OLED TV. The sound is ok on freeview channels but if you introduce the awful sound on Sky (clarity not volume), An American soundtrack and, in my case, Women talking then the sound is not great. In part that is my partial deafness but I don't think I am alone and I can certainly tell the difference by switching the soundbar on and off.

Agree about Richer Sounds.
    • gfplux
    • By gfplux 13th Apr 18, 8:44 PM
    • 4,487 Posts
    • 3,930 Thanks
    gfplux
    Sound is quite an issue in our household actually. My partner has acute hearing while I need more volume. We presently have compromised with the sound and sub titles.
    • getmore4less
    • By getmore4less 14th Apr 18, 7:48 AM
    • 33,644 Posts
    • 20,361 Thanks
    getmore4less
    Have a look at headphone solution.
    • Froglet
    • By Froglet 16th May 18, 7:47 AM
    • 2,535 Posts
    • 3,024 Thanks
    Froglet
    We have just bought an LG UHD television,wanted Samsung or Panasonic but most don't have a headphone socket now.Unless you can afford a lot more.Most annoying!
    • giraffe69
    • By giraffe69 16th May 18, 9:21 AM
    • 2,558 Posts
    • 2,185 Thanks
    giraffe69
    Wireless headphones resolve that problem and also avoid a rather long cable across the room.
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

1,073Posts Today

6,579Users online

Martin's Twitter