Your browser isn't supported
It looks like you're using an old web browser. To get the most out of the site and to ensure guides display correctly, we suggest upgrading your browser now. Download the latest:

Welcome to the MSE Forums

We're home to a fantastic community of MoneySavers but anyone can post. Please exercise caution & report spam, illegal, offensive or libellous posts/messages: click "report" or email forumteam@.

Search
  • FIRST POST
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    • 3,904Posts
    • 22,291Thanks
    doingitanyway
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself)
    • 31st Mar 18, 9:32 AM
    20/20 Vision (repaying a debt to my home and myself) 31st Mar 18 at 9:32 AM
    I am debt free but I have neglected myself and my home for years. My home and I have held up well after years of neglect, but we are both shabby and need of care and attention. I need to move on. This house needs a little family to love it. So I am giving myself 20 months for us both to be camera ready, so we can rise from the ashes of debt like phoenixes in 2020.

So over the next 20 months I will do a minimum of:

--20 Major home improvements

--20 Minor home improvements

--20 kilos

--20 drab to fab changes

--20 health improvements

--20 giant frogs to eat

--20 normal sized frogs to eat

I will set a monthly goal in each category and moan, whinge report on it throughout the month until it is done

For APRIL it looks like this:

—Fix the roof

—Find window film for living room, put it up, clean the window and get curtains taken up

—Lose 2 kilos

—Wear tinted lip balm and perfume everyday in April.

—Walk 3 miles at least once a week

—Get insurances in place. This is A GIANT FROG outstanding for over a decade

—Get glasses. This is a normal sized frog outstanding for 3 years.

So, here I go…
    Last edited by doingitanyway; 31-03-2018 at 6:46 PM.
Page 63
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 13th Jan 19, 4:40 PM
    • 59,921 Posts
    • 251,251 Thanks
    beanielou
    Positive window vibes for tomorrow
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jan 19, 7:40 PM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 22,291 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Operation windows
    Done
    Car moved up the street so the van can get onto the drive

The room has been cleared

All the bins are at the back of the house

The blinds have been taken down and are awful so they will be taken to the recycling and dumped

Tea and cow’s milk in for the workmen

Loo cleaned and presentable

Food prepped in the fridge so I don’t have to cook anything

Checked funds are in place and prepared cheque

Do
    Speak to a neighbour and ask if he can check windows before the workmen leave

Take curtains down on patio doors so the fault can be fixed

Take rescue remedy

Burn a calming oil

Use stress energy to clean the kitchen and bathroom with steam cleaner

When workmen leave take a walk and return parcel

When back from PO call a friend with a cup of tea and talk through the day
    • mark88man
    • By mark88man 13th Jan 19, 8:14 PM
    • 3,557 Posts
    • 7,724 Thanks
    mark88man
    Looks like a very sound plan to get you and the workmen through the day as stress free as possible
    Things happen for a reason. Often the reason is we are stupid & make bad decisions.
    Weight/Health - Fluctuating - better than I was worse than I should be
    End 18: CC:8K@0% - Car Loan:11K@2.8% - Mort:133K@2.1% = £152K
    Decrease in Total Debt 2016:£13.4K 2017:£8.3K 2018:£20K

• doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 13th Jan 19, 9:31 PM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 22,291 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    Positive window vibes for tomorrow
    Originally posted by beanielou
    Looks like a very sound plan to get you and the workmen through the day as stress free as possible
    Originally posted by mark88man
    Thank you
    • Cumbria lass
    • By Cumbria lass 14th Jan 19, 6:19 AM
    • 2,593 Posts
    • 16,187 Thanks
    Cumbria lass
    Happy new window day DIA , sending you good vibes for a smooth job.
    CC1 £3300 Jan 2019
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Jan 19, 9:29 AM
    • 12,947 Posts
    • 223,235 Thanks
    greenbee
    Hope today goes well - just think, but this time next week you'll have tidied up, rearranged and have a whole new bit of the house that makes you feel happy

I've had a chat with someone about doing a whole lot of small bits and pieces. There is a massive gap in the market for people to do odd jobs... Yes, I coulc do them all myself, but I don't have the time!
    • Drawingaline
    • By Drawingaline 14th Jan 19, 11:48 AM
    • 539 Posts
    • 1,850 Thanks
    Drawingaline
    Greenbee, I have used an awesome handyman for doing some jobs. But he does all sorts of stuff, flat pack, hanging mirrors and shelves, tiling etc. Sometimes it's worth saving a few jobs and getting someone in.
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Jan 19, 3:21 PM
    • 12,947 Posts
    • 223,235 Thanks
    greenbee
    If you have a handyman anywhere near you, you're very lucky! Round here most people won't come out for anything less that a full week's work...
    • beanielou
    • By beanielou 14th Jan 19, 5:39 PM
    • 59,921 Posts
    • 251,251 Thanks
    beanielou
    Hope all went well
    Lou~ Debt free Wanabe No 55 DF 03/03/14.
    **Credit card debt free 30/06/10~** **Weight loss 2 stone 12 lbs **

"A large income is the best recipe for happiness I ever heard of" Jane Austen in Mansfield Park.
    ***Fall down seven times,stand up eight*** ~~Japanese proverb.
    It starts with you, it starts from now. *** It is ok to be me.***
    ***Keep plodding***
    Out of debt, out of danger. ***Be the difference.***
    • redofromstart
    • By redofromstart 14th Jan 19, 7:21 PM
    • 2,134 Posts
    • 13,345 Thanks
    redofromstart
    Hope it was ok today DIA
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 14th Jan 19, 8:49 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    If you have a handyman anywhere near you, you're very lucky! Round here most people won't come out for anything less that a full week's work...
    Originally posted by greenbee

I've had trouble finding people for small jobs too - it's why I have ended up learning to do things myself. I can't afford to get a lot done in one go and although I did find a handyman I must chase him up as haven't heard a date for the work yet.

I found a basic plumbing course though that should be enough to help me fix dripping taps etc

Rosa xx
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...
    Campervan loan progress 14%

• HairyHandofDartmoor
    • By HairyHandofDartmoor 14th Jan 19, 8:58 PM
    • 7,062 Posts
    • 51,984 Thanks
    HairyHandofDartmoor
    I hope the work on your window went well today DIA.
    Finally Debt Free After 34 Years, But Still Need to Live Frugally
    Debt in July 2017 = £58,766 DEBT FREE 31 OCTOBER 2017
    NEW GOALS - Build Emergency Fund & Loss of Income Fund. Save for house repairs.
    EMERGENCY FUND = £0
    "Tough times never last, but tough people do" - Robert H Schuller
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Jan 19, 9:25 PM
    • 12,947 Posts
    • 223,235 Thanks
    greenbee
    Hope it went well DIA, and that the resulting mess doesn't take too long to clear up!

I've had trouble finding people for small jobs too - it's why I have ended up learning to do things myself. I can't afford to get a lot done in one go and although I did find a handyman I must chase him up as haven't heard a date for the work yet.

I found a basic plumbing course though that should be enough to help me fix dripping taps etc

Rosa xx
    Originally posted by RosaBernicia
    Sadly I'm very time poor - I'm away for work 3 days this week, two next week, probably the whole of the following week, and January is my quiet month - but hopefully I'll get this stuff out of the way without too much expense.

I do find that as things get sorted, living in the house gets easier and less stressful.
    • lonelyrat
    • By lonelyrat 14th Jan 19, 9:33 PM
    • 540 Posts
    • 1,511 Thanks
    lonelyrat
    Very solid plan... Hope it went well x
    Total Debt : ?? / 7266.93
    Weight Loss: ?? kg / 45kg
    • RosaBernicia
    • By RosaBernicia 14th Jan 19, 10:18 PM
    • 3,669 Posts
    • 10,351 Thanks
    RosaBernicia
    Sadly I'm very time poor - I'm away for work 3 days this week, two next week, probably the whole of the following week, and January is my quiet month - but hopefully I'll get this stuff out of the way without too much expense.

I do find that as things get sorted, living in the house gets easier and less stressful.
    Originally posted by greenbee

Totally makes sense - I travel a lot less than I used to so the balance of time and money has shifted a bit. And it does make a difference as you get things sorted - though I am slightly worried that by the time I've got everything done with this house I'll then move
    Debt free May 2016
    MFW progress 5% ...
    Campervan loan progress 14%

• greenbee
    • By greenbee 14th Jan 19, 10:29 PM
    • 12,947 Posts
    • 223,235 Thanks
    greenbee
    I usually move when I finish a house (or maybe I finish the house when i’m ready to move...)
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 14th Jan 19, 11:24 PM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,266 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Hoping all went well with your window installation and other glazing repairs today DIA - you certainly seemed as prepared as you could be for it.
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
    • doingitanyway
    • By doingitanyway 15th Jan 19, 7:38 AM
    • 3,904 Posts
    • 22,291 Thanks
    doingitanyway
    the windows are in :)
    @ Cumbria @ greenbee @homegrown @beanielou @HH @ redo @lonelyrat
    Thank you for your support

The windows are in!

It did feel uncomfortable to have several men in the house that I did not know. They overran so I did not get rid of them until late. During the last hour I had to give myself a talk as I had an urge to ask them to all leave. Now. That said the guys were really nice, respectful and they did a good job. They interacted with me well and I did not feel intimidated if I wanted to ask a question. I will do a positive feedback form.

I decluttered and cleaned and attended to life admin for the duration of their visit and ate a few frogs too.

I was exhausted at the end of the day by all the endless activity plus, I slept poorly worrying the night before. Also my tummy plays up when I am stressed so I did not eat during the day. Anyway, I slept well last night and feel fine today

A special thank you to all of you who have listened to my should I shouldn’t I do the windows? Can I afford it? What company should I use? Should I save and do it in the Summer? Blah, blah. Various posters said JUST DO IT and it will be fine and I did and it was.

I will be having an easier day today. The only thing on my list is my project work and going to the PO (it was shut by the time the workmen left) I promised myself a treat for managing this window process. I got a good discount on the windows too, so I am treating myself to a film during the day too. There is something decadent about going to the cinema during the day. I will be taking a pointless snack .

I am ignoring the political quagmire until this evening.

I will be back this evening to check in with other people’s diaries

Wishing you all a positive Tuesday
    • Homegrown0
    • By Homegrown0 15th Jan 19, 7:58 AM
    • 433 Posts
    • 2,266 Thanks
    Homegrown0
    Glad all went well and the workmen were pleasant. You can now crack on with the next things on your hitlist once you've enjoyed your lovely treat day and have recovered financially. Enjoy the cinema!
    Sealed Pot Challenge 075
    Pay off by Xmas 2019 #02 - target £10,000
    • greenbee
    • By greenbee 15th Jan 19, 8:32 AM
    • 12,947 Posts
    • 223,235 Thanks
    greenbee
    Glad you survived it - and great that they stayed to complete the job despite it taking longer than expected. Some workmen will just knock off and come back another day!

Hopefully knowing that you coped with it will help you when making these decisions in future.

I've really enjoyed not having workmen in the house over the past year. I can cope for a couple of months and then it just gets too much. So i'm hoping having a friend in to do the next bit will be easier - it's probably only a couple of days work for the odds and ends and after that we can work out how long the next bit will take.

Enjoy your treat day, rest and recover, and then you'll be ready to enjoy your new window (and the rest of the room) and plan what to do next to make your home more pleasant. Hopefully you can do some free/cheap things in the room you've had the window done in while you save up for squirrel-proofing!
Welcome to our new Forum!

Our aim is to save you money quickly and easily. We hope you like it!

Forum Team Contact us

Live Stats

3,708Posts Today

9,786Users online

Martin's Twitter
  • Perhaps the only thing we truly learn from this poll is we are generally optimistic. Most Brexiteers think Brexit w? https://t.co/DoosVRvneE

• RT @MoneySavingExp: ??Join the UK's biggest consumer website ??Make a difference ??Work with brilliant journalists ??Collaborate with top b?

• Today's Twitter poll: Do you believe the UK will leave the European Union in 2019? PS. Twitter/my following tends? https://t.co/U3DknxaJOG

• Follow Martin